Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Getting ready for fall - Page 2 Toplef10Getting ready for fall - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Getting ready for fall - Page 2 I22gcj10Getting ready for fall - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Getting ready for fall - Page 2 Toplef10Getting ready for fall - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Getting ready for fall - Page 2 I22gcj10Getting ready for fall - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Getting ready for fall

+12
thebarley7
southern gardener
darci.strutt
walshevak
CapeCoddess
elliephant
songstriss
floyd1440
Triciasgarden
RoOsTeR
GWN
Weedless_
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Getting ready for fall - Page 2 Empty Re: Getting ready for fall

Post  bakermtb 8/28/2012, 3:31 pm

Darci
Great news. On page 71 in the ANSFG book covers the building of your protective cover.
Yes you can use the painters plastic. Check and see how thick it is.
There are many gardener supply companies/websites you can find on the internet. You can check some local nurseries who could sell the products.
I found www.Greenhousemegastore.com was a good place to get supplies.
Hint: you can put bricks, lumber on the base. (see photo on page 74) You can use "hair clips" the size of the PVC plastic pipe to secure the plastic to the PVC pipe (from the wind)
Even if you get two months additional garden time, it is still better then NONE. bounce
Some of the cold weather crops will not germinate in hot weather(under plastic). See page 252-254 on crop germination. Remember that the plastic cover will not be needed until frost time or later. The plastic will heat up the cold weather crops and take them down. You MUST keep your soil moist or it will suck the moisture out of the newly planted crops. Don't forget to open the plastic when the sun shines. Put a termometer in your covered plastic box and see how hot it gets before planting. This will give you a good indication of the climate in your growing space.
Mike
bakermtb
bakermtb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  darci.strutt 8/28/2012, 7:24 pm

My Square Foot Gardening book is on my kindle so it takes a bit more to search. Page numbers let me know the information is there though! I may just have to get a "paper" copy some day so it's easier to flip through.

I won't put anything over the dome, and actually haven't even planted the box yet, but wanted to get things figured out well in advance of that first frost. I'll take your words to heart about watering and letting it vent during the day. I need to buy a temp gauge so I can watch how hot it gets. I'm still considering creating a second one for another square, but we'll see. The dome was pretty simple to put in. I may tie the center to a brick or other type of anchor to make sure the wind doesn't cause me trouble, but anchoring the plastic along the side should work too. I'm excited to find out!
darci.strutt
darci.strutt

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/28/2012, 9:15 pm

6 mil plastic is available at the big box stores. It says clear, but is really a milky look. This over the hoops will create your basic hoop house, but some plant blankets (agribon or remay) laid directly over the plants inside will add another layer of protection on colder nights. Even old towels or blankets. Just be sure you take them off during the day so you can get whatever sun is available. The plants will stop growing when daylight hits the 10 hr or less mark.

Kay

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t4622-winterizing-experiment
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t4686-winterizing-update

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  cyclonegardener 8/28/2012, 10:36 pm

I have most of my fall veggies planted. Carrots, spinach, turnips and lettuce early in August. Now I'm planting radishes. I have two cold frames and one raised bed I'm using. I've saved space for planting lettuce in late September. It goes dormat, but does fantastic in the spring in March. So far everything is up except spinach, the little rascals.
cyclonegardener

Male Posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/2/2012, 5:43 pm

floyd1440 wrote:@CC

Now I am pretty sure that spinach does not germinate in warm soil. I know goes against the grain, but I checked the seed packed and they do best in cooler soil.

If I have room it won't be till September at least. Could be way off here but seems better suited for spring growing.........

Check out page 60 of the ANSFG book
Mel give us a nice set of of days for germinations wrt temperatures
Spinach will germinate from 32 o F in 63 days to 6 days in temps of 86 o F

If you put in to a search engine something like " percentage seed germination + temeratures " ,you should be able to find more specific info ..

I have a set of printed off lists but it is out in the office & I'm too lazy to go out in the rain to get it Wink
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4099

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/2/2012, 6:30 pm

My spinach is finally sprouting outside! I've been planting a few seeds every couple weeks all summer and it looks like they want 70's and no higher in my area. The inside ones haven't sprouted yet, but the inside kale & leaf lettuces have.

Also coming up outside now is the romaine, leaf lettuce, pak choi, kale, scallions, turnips, kohlrabi & more beets/ carrots/ radishes. I just planted more chives, snow peas and sugar peas for fall, but we've been eating previous snow peas for a couple of weeks now.

I cut off all the bug eaten leaves of my collard greens and there are itsy bitsy new leaves coming out. You can bet they are now covered with tulle!

Spring & summer kale, chives, tomatoes, cucs, green beans, chard, jalapenos and peppers are still going.

Speaking of peppers, my sweet peppers have taken off!!! It wasn't that long ago that I was cursing them and thinking I should give up on them. I can't believe how big they got over the past week and how many baby peppers there are. Amazing!

Some powdery mildew hit the tomatoes yesterday so I sprayed with baking soda solution and it didn't spread today. *crossing fingers*

OH...is this a cantaloupe? If so, I have 2 of them and have cut off most of the leaves and other vines in hopes of getting these babies to finish off before it's too cold. But shouldn't they be green and not yellow?
Getting ready for fall - Page 2 100_2615

Check out how green that grass is, too. It's been a while since we've seen THAT! cyclops

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  darci.strutt 9/3/2012, 8:41 pm

My hubby and I spent much of the weekend putting leaves through the shredder. we now have a pretty large fence-bin half full, and we'll have many more leaves coming down. That will be a big help in keeping my compost "browns" up!

Today I cut the clear plastic to put over my PVC dome in my "fall" box and now it's folded in the garage and ready to attach whenever the weather turns frosty. The temps are dropping into the 70's so I planted the rest of that box with Swiss Chard, Kale, Arugula, and Spinach. I stuck some lettuce varieties under my tent trellis hoping they'll have time to mature too and get a little frost protection from the tent/vines. We've started eating radish from my first wave of fall planting and the spinach isn't far behind. This fall planting stuff is all new to me, and so I'm pretty excited by every experience!
darci.strutt
darci.strutt

Female Posts : 95

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2