Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I'm so excited! Toplef10I'm so excited! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I'm so excited! I22gcj10I'm so excited! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I'm so excited! Toplef10I'm so excited! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I'm so excited! I22gcj10I'm so excited! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I'm so excited!

+3
Pollinator
southern gardener
songstriss
7 posters

Go down

I'm so excited! Empty I'm so excited!

Post  songstriss 7/19/2012, 11:33 pm

I am so excited. I have my very first zucchini! Isn't it a cutie! okay

I'm so excited! Imag1210

Oh btw, the white powder is an organic powder that I used when all of my squash, cukes & cantelope were being eaten by something.

I was reading some of the posts on hand pollinating. How do you know when to pollinate or if the busy bees have already done their thing?
songstriss
songstriss

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

I'm so excited! Empty Re: I'm so excited!

Post  southern gardener 7/19/2012, 11:42 pm

you don't really "know" if the bees have done their thing or not. See the flower on the end of your zucchini? That's a female flower, in the morning all the "available" flowers will be open. you can get the pollen from a male flower, (the one with NO squash attached), with a small paint brush etc. "Paint" the female flower with the pollen from the male flower, that's it! My little grandson has really gotten it down about the male and female flowers, and how to pollinate. It's so cute!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  songstriss 7/20/2012, 12:03 am

Oh cool. Thanks for explaining. thanks
songstriss
songstriss

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 7/20/2012, 12:08 am

songstriss wrote: How do you know when to pollinate or if the busy bees have already done their thing?

Actually, with squash, it's pretty easy to tell. Your new zuke has been well pollinated. Here's more details: http://gardensouth.org/2011/06/15/evaluating-squash-pollination/
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/20/2012, 12:36 am

Pollinator wrote:
songstriss wrote: How do you know when to pollinate or if the busy bees have already done their thing?

Actually, with squash, it's pretty easy to tell. Your new zuke has been well pollinated. Here's more details: http://gardensouth.org/2011/06/15/evaluating-squash-pollination
pollinator, I have a couple questions, hope you can answer them! I have TINY squash that are already yellow, look like there is no chance they will make it. The "flower" is also very tiny, not even close to mature. Why does this happen? These always die and fall off, but the flower never even is close to mature, in fact the flower is still green, and the squash is tiny and yellow.
The other question is a pretty good sized squash with a female flower that has not even opened up yet, possibly will be mature and open the next day. How does the squash get so big without the flower even opening yet? Thanks for any help!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 7/20/2012, 8:15 am

southern gardener wrote:
pollinator, I have a couple questions, hope you can answer them! I have TINY squash that are already yellow, look like there is no chance they will make it. The "flower" is also very tiny, not even close to mature. Why does this happen? These always die and fall off, but the flower never even is close to mature, in fact the flower is still green, and the squash is tiny and yellow.
The other question is a pretty good sized squash with a female flower that has not even opened up yet, possibly will be mature and open the next day. How does the squash get so big without the flower even opening yet? Thanks for any help!!

I may not be much help, here. This doesn't sound like any squash I know. Are you sure this is a squash and not some kind of gourd? What kind is it?

Generally, if the flower is weak and undersized to start, I would look to other explanations than pollination as the prime cause - perhaps virus or rootknot nematode. But then I would not expect to see rootknot in sfg beds.

I have seen squash and cukes, where the plants were permanently stunted by a cold spell that didn't actually frost, but got very close to it. These plants made very weak blossoms that were not attractive to bees anyway.

You certainly have me puzzled. Are the vines healthy and strong, or are they stunted?
Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/20/2012, 10:39 am

southern gardener wrote:you don't really "know" if the bees have done their thing or not. See the flower on the end of your zucchini? That's a female flower, in the morning all the "available" flowers will be open. you can get the pollen from a male flower, (the one with NO squash attached), with a small paint brush etc. "Paint" the female flower with the pollen from the male flower, that's it! My little grandson has really gotten it down about the male and female flowers, and how to pollinate. It's so cute!!
As an alternative, the male flower can be picked, pull off the petals and then just directly pollinate the female flower.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

I'm so excited! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 7/20/2012, 11:37 am

southern gardener wrote:
Pollinator wrote:

Actually, with squash, it's pretty easy to tell. Your new zuke has been well pollinated. Here's more details: http://gardensouth.org/2011/06/15/evaluating-squash-pollination

SG - this has happened to me too. I believe I read somewhere else that the plant will abort some newly-forming fruit if it can't support growing another at that time. It made sense to me - the times I've seen what you're describing happening this year it has been when I have one or two pollinated zucchini growing already; the smaller, newly formed fruits begin to shrivel up before they have a chance to open up their blooms.

That said, just the other day I pried open the bloom on an incipient zucchini that was getting bigger, but the flower hadn't really opened yet, and pollinated it myself. I had the male flower that day, and felt like it was worth taking a chance. It seems to have worked - the zucchini is looking pretty good now. I also use camprn's method of just peeling away the petals on the male flower and pollinating it directly.
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/20/2012, 12:11 pm

Pollinator wrote:
southern gardener wrote:

I may not be much help, here. This doesn't sound like any squash I know. Are you sure this is a squash and not some kind of gourd? What kind is it?

Generally, if the flower is weak and undersized to start, I would look to other explanations than pollination as the prime cause - perhaps virus or rootknot nematode. But then I would not expect to see rootknot in sfg beds.

I have seen squash and cukes, where the plants were permanently stunted by a cold spell that didn't actually frost, but got very close to it. These plants made very weak blossoms that were not attractive to bees anyway.

You certainly have me puzzled. Are the vines healthy and strong, or are they stunted?

Hi Pollinator, thank you for the reply. They are butternut squash for the most part, a few different kinds too, but i'm mostly noticing it on that plant. My plants definitely are stunted. They are in Mel's Mix, but I'm working on a solution for that. It's so strange, I have "good" babies right next to tiny ones. Maybe it's the plant saying I can't support this one..ty again for the help!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/20/2012, 12:18 pm

That article on squash pollination was excellent. I never new that the squash could be partially pollinated and grow a little then die off. That is exactly what is happening to a few of my squash. They appear to be pollinated because they continue to grow but eventually they shrivel up and stop growing while other squash on the same plant grow to maturity. They grow longer than a fruit that has not been pollinated but not as long or as well as a fully pollinated squash. Now I know why. Even though I have a bee hive about 50 feet away, they apparently are not doing a good enough job or it has been too hot and the pollen is no longer viable.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 7/20/2012, 2:24 pm

yolos wrote:That article on squash pollination was excellent. I never new that the squash could be partially pollinated and grow a little then die off...
Even though I have a bee hive about 50 feet away, they apparently are not doing a good enough job or it has been too hot and the pollen is no longer viable.

Thank you. Few gardeners realize this; most think of pollination as an on/off switch; it's either done or not done. With multi-seeded fruits, as you see, this is not true.

In my experience honey bees are excellent pollinators for large planting, i.e., fields of squash, where there is little else for them, but it's so low on their preference list that they usually ignore small plantings. I contract pollinated many acres of squash until my retirement. But now in my garden (with a half dozen hives within a stone's throw) the squash is pollinated by squash bees and bumble bees. Squash bees look like honey bees, but are a little smaller. They work in shifts with the bumble bees, starting at daybreak. When they quit, the bumblebees come. Squash bees tend to linger in the flowers a lot longer than honey bees, and the males will sleep in the closed flowers for the night.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Back to top Go down

Post  songstriss 7/20/2012, 5:06 pm

Wow there is so much I didn't know. study Thank you all for sharing. I went out to check on my lil zuc and it has grown like an inch and a half in just one day! hyper Is that normal? How do I know when to pick it?
songstriss
songstriss

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/20/2012, 6:36 pm

songstriss wrote: How do I know when to pick it?

Pick it when it is the size you want it. If you like them small with few seeds/small seed cavity, pick the little ones. If you want stuffers, let them get club-size. Warning! There are always one or two that hide and become clubs whether you want them to or not!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

I'm so excited! Empty Say it isn't so

Post  songstriss 7/20/2012, 10:38 pm

Ugh I'm so excited! 950477 I just went out to check on my garden and their where a whole bunch of tiny green grasshoppers all over my zucchini and squash plants. What do I do about these lil critters?
songstriss
songstriss

Back to top Go down

Post  songstriss 7/23/2012, 2:11 pm

My little cutie grew to 8 inches in just 3 days! I harvested it this morning along with a variety of cherry toms. I plan on cookin it up tonight! okay

I'm so excited! Imag1215
songstriss
songstriss

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down