Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Toplef10Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 I22gcj10Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Toplef10Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 I22gcj10Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes

+11
Gunny
donnainzone5
toledobend
yolos
Triciasgarden
Josh
FamilyGardening
camprn
Windsor.Parker
RoOsTeR
GWN
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes

Post  yolos 2/16/2013, 10:16 pm

Thanks for the quick answer GWN. I thought of the paper towel method a couple of days ago but I forgot about it. It has only been 7 days since planting in soil cubes, guess I do need patience. But I just got finished building my plant light stand and want some artichokes to put on the stand.

I will try the paper towel method tommorrow. I am doing a new batch of seeds in soil cubes tomorrow so I may try that again also.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4139

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes

Post  toledobend 2/16/2013, 10:34 pm

What's a pirate's favorite food? Arrrrrghtichokes!

sorry, couldn't resist
toledobend
toledobend

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 2/17/2013, 11:18 am

toledobend,

funny post I laughed out loud!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2667

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 2/17/2013, 11:19 am

GWN,

I've never tried to sprout artichoke seeds before, but you gave me a wonderful idea to multi-purpose my new water heater. Out with the Imperial Star seeds! And the paper towels. And the baggies!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/17/2013, 12:15 pm

For those northern gardeners OR those in zones 6 and below, I thought I would share my experiment with you.
First off, if you are starting seeds now, get them growing and put them outside VERY early and expose them to SOME cold weather in April, I started putting mine outside at the beginning of April last year. They can tolerate a mild freeze. That way they get conditioned to think that this is their second year and they WILL produce for you.
The OTHER thing I have done is I took all of my artichokes (except one) and cut them down to about an inch above ground (in the fall after they die back) dug up the roots.( they were easy to dig up because the first foot down was mels mix) and I put them all into large buckets of peat moss and have left them in my greenhouse for the winter.
I have a heater in the greenhouse that only comes on if the temp drops down to 3 degrees Celcius (37 farenheit) ( I also have LARGE jugs of water in the greenhouse to absorb the heat from the day) Anyways.
All the roots have started to sprout new artichokes as the weather is getting warmer (the greenhouse gets up to 25 degrees without any heat, just the sun)Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Img_0719
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Img_0721
So through this process and the plants can be divided as well so I will have 30 plants this year, all second year plants.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/9/2013, 3:01 am

Our artichokes are ALIVE cheers

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Copy_o10

they made it thru their first winter..... :drunken:

sorry there is some flower debris that blew over there while i was taking the picture.... Razz

the one that flowered last year....you can kinda of see it behind our new fruit tree wood post...its tiny....we thought we may have lost it...but its coming back to life.... I love you .

the larger one in this pick....did not flower last year...and it didnt die back as much as the other one did... it seems really healthy Very Happy

we are so happy!

happy gardening
rose

FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2422

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 3/9/2013, 9:13 am

Did you know that not only the buds but the stems are edible. I found this out by experimenting one year long ago when I lived in the Monterey Bay Area of California. I had a chock with a long stem and left the stem on when I prepared it. The stem is just like the heart. Very, Very Tasty. So next time you harvest your chocks take some stem along with the bud, you wont be sorry. As to how much of the stem is edible, I have no idea. You who are growing chocks can tell us how far down you can go on the stem before it gets to woody to eat.
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/9/2013, 11:14 am

GWN wrote:The secret is Patience
They are slow to germinate. But not that slow. I did nothing special and I grew several varieties last year.
My latest way to germinate has been to lay out a piece of wet paper towel and lay the seeds on it, fold up the paper towel, stuff it in a baggie, label it and put it on top of the hot water tank
Works like a charm. Just check every day to see signs of rooting and ASAP put them in potting medium

Thanks GWN, that worked. I got about 50% germination on my older seeds and 80% on this years seeds. Now if I can keep them alive long enough to grow a good root structure.

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Artich10

Enough water, too much water, enough sun, not enough sun, enough fertilizer, not enough fertilizer. Arrrgggghhh !! Experiment, experiment is the answer. Try and try again.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/9/2013, 11:43 am

that is great, the thing you have to do now after they seem to survive is to expose them to some cold weather, to trick them into thinking they have been through winter.
Last year I put mine out in april with temps down near freezing at night, seemed to do the job
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/9/2013, 11:49 am

Why do they need cold? Memory seems to think they grew fine in SanDeigo with out frost, maybe at most into the 40s in the winter. Or maybe it is how cold is cold enough?

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2618

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/9/2013, 12:05 pm

The reason they need the cold is that they tend to flower in their second year, and so in order for them to produce artichokes in their first year they need to be stratified.
In our area many people do this all the time since they do not overwinter here because it gets too cold. So they have to get the flower the first year, or not at all.

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/9/2013, 12:22 pm

Thanks. So it is to force them.
The degree of cold needed must be fairly mild though.

O look what I found at last Laughing
Artichoke Cold Tolerance/Season
When growing artichokes, time your planting so seedlings will have 10-12 days with temperatures below 50° F (10° C), to encourage early bud set and longer fruiting.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2618

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/9/2013, 2:45 pm

They can tolerate a freeze, they just cannot tolerate MUCH frozen.... like 10 below freezing celcius...
When we lived in Oregon, they were fine down to the low 20s

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/24/2013, 5:15 pm

I just got thru building 4 cedar boxes 21" x 21" x 6" to plant my artichokes that I bought at a nursery. I am just waiting for the ground to dry out enough to set the boxes. I have been leaving them outside for about 2 weeks. Our nighttime temps are 35 - 45 sometimes down to 30. Hope that is low enough temp. Here are the four I purchased from the nursery.

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Artich11

Here are my babies I started from seeds. I have 6 that have their first set of true leaves and another 4 inside that just have their first seedling leaves. (the back two plants are basil).
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Artico10

QUESTION: When I transplant my babies, how many do I put in each cedar box. If you look at the following close up of one of the artichokes I purchased at the nursery, it appears to have five different shoots coming up. Would this be five different artichokes or one artichoke plant with many side shoots? thinking
I know you are supposed to plant them about 3 feet apart, but do you group a couple young ones together.

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Artich12

yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/16/2013, 8:45 pm

cheers  Second year Artichokes cheers

Last year we let them go to flower....this year we are eating 2 of them tonight!  :drunken:

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Dscf0063

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Dscf0064

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Dscf0065

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2422

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/16/2013, 9:11 pm

drooling

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3424

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/16/2013, 11:58 pm

cheerscheers  that is SOOO great.   We also have 2 that are ready to eat.. only problem is that there are 3 of us.
Wink
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/30/2019, 3:17 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:we also found out that our five year old loves to eat artichokes cyclops he would have never wanted to try it...if it wasnt for the fact that we planted some and he is watching it grow and decided he would try some that we found at the store...
Isn't it amazing how kids who think they don't like veggies, love just about anything they grow themselves, pick from the family garden, or recognize at the grocery store, from a school gardening project. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5697

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/30/2019, 3:31 pm

GWN wrote: In the past I have found that when I harvested some, then cut back the plant, it came back and grew a few more in the fallFriday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Dsc_0295Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Dsc_0296
I did that by accident. I had given up on a plant, cut it back to dirt-level, then planted something else on top of it. Here's what came up. Shocked Maybe there's still hope for it.
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Artich12
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/30/2019, 3:55 pm

I had given up on artichokes until the one I tried to kill came back and whispered "please try again."

I just ordered seeds from Baker Creek, then came over here and found this topic. Seems like my timing is perfect. I still have time to get them grown out enough to put them in the ground before winter, and (hopefully) get them to produce next year. I'll have to figure out a way to keep the deer out of them, however. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 8/30/2019, 7:02 pm

The one I thought was dead is coming back!  It looks as if it'll spend another winter in the garage, and hopefully next year will produce a harvest.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/30/2019, 7:28 pm

donnainzone5 wrote:The one I thought was dead is coming back!  It looks as if it'll spend another winter in the garage, and hopefully next year will produce a harvest.
YEE-HAH! Let's hear it for the indestructible artichoke. golly gee whiz
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/11/2022, 2:30 pm

I know it's not Friday, but I came across this topic and wanted to bump it.  Anyone growing artichokes?  In beds with Mel's Mix or in amended dirt?

The one year I tried them in my Zone 9A I got this beautiful flower. I love you Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Artich13

May 24, 2020
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes - Page 2 Artich14

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21603

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2