Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Toplef10Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes I22gcj10Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Toplef10Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes I22gcj10Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes

+11
Gunny
donnainzone5
toledobend
yolos
Triciasgarden
Josh
FamilyGardening
camprn
Windsor.Parker
RoOsTeR
GWN
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Empty Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes

Post  GWN 6/27/2012, 10:40 pm

Globe Artichoke
The globe artichoke Cynara cardunculus var. scolymus is a perennial thistle of the genus Cynara originating in Southern Europe around the Mediterranean. It grows to 1.4–2 metres (4.6–6.6 ft) tall, with arching, deeply lobed, silvery, glaucous-green leaves 50–82 centimetres (20–32 in) long. The flowers develop in a large head from an edible bud about 8–15 cm(3.1–5.9 in) diameter with numerous triangular scales; the individual florets are purple. The edible portion of the buds consists primarily of the fleshy lower portions of the actual artichoke and the base, known as the "heart"; the mass of immature florets in the center of the bud is called the "choke" or beard. These are inedible in older larger flowers.
I have chosen this topic because it is my real challenge this year, moving from an area that they almost grow wild, to an area that they do not grow at all, I have had to learn a lot about them.
They are a perennial plant that flowers in their second year. The flower is very beautiful and many people grow them just for the flower. (but it is inedible)
The plant takes up a lot of space and so in some areas they also make great landscaping plants, much like having shrubs. I grow them for the fruit.
They grow best in well drained soil, and very nutrient rich, they are heavy feeders. The best crop I ever had was when I added chicken manure around the plants. They also prefer a low nitrogen soil.
They grow best in cool climates 55-65 degrees F (13-18C) and they do tolerate mild to medium frosts. (zones 7 and 8 ) However this is the kicker for me, in that they do not tolerate frosts below 10 degrees farenheit, and only flower in the second year. So the conundrum is how does someone in one of the colder climates grow artichokes?
One method is to grow them from seed, early in the year, and then stratify them, by putting them outside as early as possible even before the last frost to essentially “trick them” into thinking that they have survived a winter. They SHOULD then fruit.
There are other options.
One is to grow them in containers and bring them in to a cool room for the winter (some people dig up the tubers and store them in cool room)(sort of like one would with their bulbs in cooler areas)
I covered mine with several layers of straw and then a tarp, and a few overwintered. They do not like their roots to be dried out in the summer or waterlogged in the winter.
In the spring you can divide the tubers making sure that each tuber has at least 2 shoots and good roots.
When harvesting be sure and pick before the scales open, or leave them to flower. (very beautiful)

The way I cook them, is to boil them in large pot with salt and lemon, for about one hour.
I then use this recipe for a dip.
balsalmic dip

Aphids and ants seem to infest artichokes and suggestions are to grow marigolds around them. Another way I have used in the past to get rid of aphids is to wash the plant with a hose frequently and basically just wash off the bugs. Artichokes can survive a heavy scrub with a hose
Here are a couple of pictures of my artichokes
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Dsc_0288
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Dsc_0289

Questions??
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Empty Re: Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes

Post  RoOsTeR 6/29/2012, 7:22 am

Thanks for great, and very informative Rookie Topic Gwn Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes 3170584802 I love the hands on personal experiences you share with the topic and the included recipe sounds fantastic. How many do you have planted this season?

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Empty Re: Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes

Post  Windsor.Parker 6/29/2012, 8:54 am

This is my first shot with artichokes, and mine were germinated indoors in soil cubes. Two sprouted in mid-February,
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Twocho11
and two in late-February.
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Artich11
They were acclimated on my basement stairs
and further in my hoop house...
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Artich12
In mid-April (I think!) they were all planted outside. Here's what they look like now!
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Artich13
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Artich14
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Artich15
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Artich16
Don't see any buds, though!
I hope I can grow them through 'til next Spring. Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes 773650
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Male Posts : 381
Location : Chicago, South Shore, c. 100yds to Lake Michigan, Zone 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/29/2012, 9:12 am

My favorite recipe for artichokes is from Gorden Ramsay Braised artichokes, OMG divine! here are a few other recipes.
http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/collections/artichoke-recipes.aspx

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/29/2012, 9:30 am

Love the pictures WP! Good luck with the artichokes and as always, great to see you on the forums Cool

Great recipes camp!!

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/29/2012, 10:56 am

I have about 20 plants, some look much better than those, but those are the first artichoke buds. We really have not had any warm weather yet here, so I am expecting them to just take off as soon as better weather comes
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/29/2012, 11:01 am

I hope I can grow them through 'til next Spring.
That was me last year, I got one flower/bud and that is all.
So heavy duty protection in the fall winter, we had a lot of freeze thaw etc etc, so finally on a warm day in the spring I dug them up and put them back into pots.
I had read that they do not like the really wet of the spring. and indeed, the plants that did not make it was basically rotted.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/29/2012, 12:48 pm

love this topic!

if the weather here gets a little warmer i will take some pic's of ours

we started them by seed indoors and transplanted them into large pots....they grew wonderful.....then someone let me know that their roots can go deep.....like 5 feet....so we transplanted them into the ground.....the roots looked pretty good...didnt look to root bound....but...they are still young and i can see how they would not like living in a pot for much longer.....

when i get a chance i will also take some pic's of plants that i see growing around our city....they are HUGE!.....there is a wonderful plant at our school garden too!....i will try and get a pic of that Very Happy ....its so neat to watch my kids point out plants as we walk or ride around town.....they come home from going with dad and tell me they want to show me someones garden......this last time it was a really big artichoke.....they said * you gotta come see this mommy...you wont believe how big it is!* Very Happy

we also found out that our five year old loves to eat artichokes cyclops he would have never wanted to try it...if it wasnt for the fact that we planted some and he is watching it grow and decided he would try some that we found at the store....we steam ours and dip in butter.....yummy!!

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 7/5/2012, 2:08 pm

Two days ago we spotted a bud on one of our artichoke plants! Very Happy
Here are a couple pics.
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Artich17
... a closeup
Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Artich18
bounce
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/5/2012, 3:40 pm

here is our two plants Very Happy they were in pots and now in the ground and doing very well!..very cool windsor that you have a flower Very Happy

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Dscf0064

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/5/2012, 6:56 pm

My artichoke croaked. Second year . Sad
Maybe third time is the charm. Shocked So, looking forward to next year.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/5/2012, 9:43 pm

mine are doing remarkably well, they are not really big leafy plants however I now have several that have buds coming up.
A couple I am watching we could be eating soon.
BAD time to go away for a week Smile
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 7/8/2012, 3:54 pm

First year to grow artichoke, it seems to be doing good.

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Artichoke
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/8/2012, 5:44 pm

I have gotten worried that mine might flower so we are going to be eating them tonite. In the past I have found that when I harvested some, then cut back the plant, it came back and grew a few more in the fallFriday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Dsc_0295Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Dsc_0296
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/16/2012, 4:29 pm

we have a baby Shocked

first year to grow artichokes....started from seed....

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Dscf0126

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Dscf0127

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/17/2012, 2:39 pm

congrats....
When are you going to eat it? We made a small meal of 6 of mine, they were small but the centres were very very good.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/18/2012, 12:14 am

I love artichokes! All your plants look so good!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Windsor.Parker 7/18/2012, 9:03 am

We've decided to let our only bud, thus far, flower! We have three other plants, but no more buds yet. Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes 601593
Windsor.Parker
Windsor.Parker

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 7/18/2012, 10:41 am

as a rule they tend to flower in their second year unless they have been stratified
(exposed to cold early on to trick them into thinking it is their second year)
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 7/18/2012, 10:48 am

this is our first year cyclops ......we have two plants and so far only one has a flower Very Happy .....we had a really warm May and then it cooled down in june and then warmed back up again in july.....that might be why our first year artichoke flowered Shocked

its not big enough to eat just yet

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 9/9/2012, 9:03 pm

went out today and found our first year artichoke with a purple flare sunny

since this is the first time to ever grow an artichoke and it being their first year we decided not to eat them and watch them flower..... :drunken:

here are our two plants.....one gave us two flowers and the other one has no flower......

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Artich10

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Dscf0101

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Artich11

so surprised to find this purple center Very Happy

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Dscf0099

Friday Rookie topic: Globe Artichokes Dscf0100

how are your artichokes doing?.....would love to see pics!

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 9/9/2012, 11:00 pm

wow those are beautiful, I have never let mine go to flower.
I have lots and lots of artichokes, I am thrilled with how the crop went.
Unfortunately we have eaten them all, however lots more coming on, and so I will be sure and take some more pictures.

Thanks for sharing.
Janet
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 9/9/2012, 11:51 pm

thats awesome GWN that you have been able to harvest and eat so many!!

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 2/16/2013, 9:52 pm

Is there a secret to getting artichoke seeds to germinate. I love artichokes. Last year and this year I tried to germinate the chokes in soil cubes (with a heat mat) but none seem to germinate. Any secrets to germination. My seed variety is Emerald from Ferry Morse.

I bought two young artichoke plants from Lowe's today because I can't get them to germinate. The variety is Green Globe from Bonnie. The label says the maturity is 120 days after planting so I asssume they are 2nd year plants.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/16/2013, 10:02 pm

The secret is Patience
They are slow to germinate. But not that slow. I did nothing special and I grew several varieties last year.
My latest way to germinate has been to lay out a piece of wet paper towel and lay the seeds on it, fold up the paper towel, stuff it in a baggie, label it and put it on top of the hot water tank
Works like a charm. Just check every day to see signs of rooting and ASAP put them in potting medium

GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next