Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? Toplef10Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? I22gcj10Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? Toplef10Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? I22gcj10Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Epsom salts for your veggie garden??

+13
CapeCoddess
AlwaysHotinFL
sanderson
Turan
walshevak
kat51415
quiltbea
rose1971
RoOsTeR
rowena___.
FamilyGardening
cheyannarach
Debora Cadene
17 posters

Go down

Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? Empty Epsom salts for your veggie garden??

Post  Debora Cadene 6/18/2012, 8:03 pm

Is this really good for the garden and if so, how do you personally use it? (I promise not to run to the garden and douse it with salt and water till I know how it works.. Very Happy )
Debora Cadene
Debora Cadene

Female Posts : 73

Back to top Go down

Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? Empty Re: Epsom salts for your veggie garden??

Post  cheyannarach 6/19/2012, 12:06 am

I'm not sure but I am bumping it to get an answer/opinions because I saw someone talking about this before but I can't remember who it was!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? Empty Re: Epsom salts for your veggie garden??

Post  FamilyGardening 6/19/2012, 12:17 am

we started using epsom salt this year....so we are just learning....

here is a good video we watched awhile back Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS1CDJ98ZAQ
hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  rowena___. 6/19/2012, 7:13 am

epsom salts are magnesium sulfate, which CAN be good for the garden if there is a deficiency of magnesium or sulfer. Smile if you are not certain they are needed, you should probably hold off.
rowena___.
rowena___.

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 438

http://www.romesticity.com, www.rostitchery.com, www.the-ella-ec

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/19/2012, 7:37 am

Baby steps Very Happy Stick with Mel's Mix and learn the basics first. There's no point in adding extra ingredients and suppliments to your garden if they're not really needed. Learn what's going well for you first without any interference. IF you do decide to add anything to your garden, add it to one plant only and compare your results to the same plants you added nothing to.

Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? Empty Epson Salt

Post  rose1971 6/19/2012, 9:21 am

I've always used Epson salt in my garden. I usually do it only once per month. I use one of those miracle grow bottle feeders that you can hook up to your hose. I put 4 tablespoons of Epson salt fill the bottle to the line with water. Shake and hook to the hose and water. I would NOT do it more than once per month as it really won't need it. I use no type of chemicals or pesticides and this year seems to be going great with growing.
rose1971
rose1971

Female Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/19/2012, 9:43 am

I have an established garden and heard good things about epsom salts so this year with my tomatoes, to each hole I added a half cup of greensand (for all kinds of micronutrients), and a handful of dry powdered milk (hopefully to prevent Blossom End Rot) and a smaller handful of Epsom slats. Mixed it together with soil in the hole. Added a scoopful of my compost and stirred again, then planted the transplants. I, too, wanted to see if it made a difference. Its too early in the season for definite results, but so far, my plants are all looking hearty, healthy, full and robust and I've removed many suckers. They've grown lots since planted and most have blossoms and some are forming baby tomatoes. So far, so good.

Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? 06-17-19

Its still very early in our tomato season, but here's a couple of Green Zebra plants. I'll keep you posted on how it worked for my tomatoes this year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? Empty Powdered milk?????

Post  kat51415 6/19/2012, 6:52 pm

QUILTBEA:

to each hole I added a half cup of greensand (for all kinds of micronutrients), and a handful of dry powdered milk (hopefully to prevent Blossom End Rot) and a smaller handful of Epsom slats.

So my son called me having kittens because we have Blossom End Rot on HIS tomatoes. So far, this is the only crisis we've had in the garden this year (knock on wood). Please enlighten us newbies what the addition of powdered milk does to prevent BER. Will it help clear it up if already blighted?
kat51415
kat51415

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/19/2012, 7:51 pm

Blossom end rot is caused by erratic watering and/or lack of calcium. The lack of calcium can by a true lack of calcium or an inability of the plant to use the available calcium due to a lack of magnesium. Adding powdered milk (or crushed tums) and epsom salts corrects the calcium issue, ( there is also a commercial spray available), but will not fix any tomato that already has blossom end rot. It will help prevent new fruits from developing BER.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/16/2017, 11:02 pm

I wrote in another thread about how high calcium and potassium levels in the garden can tie up the magnesium making it unavailable for the plants, this being the situation in my greenhouse.

Here is a picture of what the leaves on beans will look like.  First the interveinal areas look almost swollen and then they die.  When I noticed it starting this spring I gave every thing a spray with water and Epsom salts.

Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? 2017-025

Here is the leaves that developed after I gave them a foliar feeding of Epsom salts
Epsom salts for your veggie garden?? 2017-024

It was dramatic how fast everything improved.

Interesting article that talks about all this.
https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/68/

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/18/2017, 9:53 pm

Thank you for the before and after photos. Nice testimony.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AlwaysHotinFL 6/19/2017, 9:35 am

I'm curious Turan, how much did you dilute/add? What exactly was your mixture?
AlwaysHotinFL
AlwaysHotinFL

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/19/2017, 10:22 am

I was just reading Mel's 'Answer Book' this morning and he suggests 1/2 C to 1 gal of water for watering toms with BER, and 1/2 C to a bucket of sun warmed water for general watering of the garden.

In the thread 'How to Grow Better Tomatoes' is says 1t to 4 C warm water for foliar spray.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t20767-how-to-grow-better-tomatoes?highlight=tomatoes

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/19/2017, 11:07 am

I use 1 TABLESPOON Epsom salts per GALLON of water.  I just checked double checked myself, 4 sources, all say to use 1-2 T/gallon of water.

I have a big 2 gallon green plastic watering can with a shower type head on the spout.  I keep it filled with water and sitting in the greenhouse, so the water is warm.  Epsom salts dissolve much easier in the warm water.  Being all exact and stuff I toss a palm of my hand full amount, roughly 2 tablespoons, into the 2 gallons of water and stir with a trowel.  Then I water plants over the their tops, I don't worry about the undersides of leaves.  For the beans I sort of wildly wave the watering can in a swinging motion to get the pole beans wet as well.  
Dignity is my middle name. What a Face

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/20/2017, 8:25 pm

Turan wrote:I use 1 TABLESPOON Epsom salts per GALLON of water.  I just checked double checked myself, 4 sources, all say to use 1-2 T/gallon of water.

I have a big 2 gallon green plastic watering can with a shower type head on the spout.  I keep it filled with water and sitting in the greenhouse, so the water is warm.  Epsom salts dissolve much easier in the warm water.  Being all exact and stuff I toss a palm of my hand full amount, roughly 2 tablespoons, into the 2 gallons of water and stir with a trowel.  Then I water plants over the their tops, I don't worry about the undersides of leaves.  For the beans I sort of wildly wave the watering can in a swinging motion to get the pole beans wet as well.  
Dignity is my middle name. What a Face
It is your middle name!  Bottom line, might help, won't kill anything, why not?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 6/21/2017, 12:36 pm

i argued for years with my buddy about using epsom in the garden.  What bothered me was the salt name.  I mean it's like biblical ya wanna ruin a guys field ya salt it...

Yea I know now it aint really salt at all but the name just put me off.  I tried it sparingly last year and noticed an improvement in our peppers so this year I really poured it on.  Put a heavy sprinkling of it down on the 4 sq I was gonna put bell peppers in(neva had luck with em)  and when I dug holes to put the plants in I sprinkled a spoon full in each hole.  Since then I put a couple spoons in our watering hose dispencer every week or so.  Bottom line we made big pretty bell peppers for the first time in 16 years of trying.  For peppers at least I am now a big believer in Epsom salt.  Funny thing is all other peppers did fine with out it.
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/21/2017, 12:54 pm

Cajun Cappy wrote:i argued for years with my buddy about using epsom in the garden.  What bothered me was the salt name.  I mean it's like biblical ya wanna ruin a guys field ya salt it....

You can well understand then my consternation when the soil expert helping me interpret my soil test told me to, 'salt your garden'. It was actually so salt deficient it was making it hard for the plants take up the water I was providing. BUt my head had a real hard time with this.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 3/19/2023, 10:34 am

I know this is an old thread, but since I just wrote about this, I'd like to share my experience with Epsom salt. I know I'm echoing some of what has already been said here. I don't recommend it without proper soil testing. You could be making your soil imbalances worse – and harming your plants in the process. 

Why You Should't Use Epsom Salt In Your Garden
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 659

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 3/19/2023, 10:49 am

dstack wrote: I don't recommend it without proper soil testing. You could be making your soil imbalances worse – and harming your plants in the process.

I fully agree.  A quality compost-based soil, such as MM, will have more than enough minerals and nutrients for the microbial life to make plant available without adding amendments like magnesium and sulfur. Too much magnesium will inhibit calcium uptake, resulting in problems such as Blossom End Rot, and adding sulfur to the soil can result in salt buildup.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson and dstack like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 3/19/2023, 11:00 am

OhioGardener wrote:
dstack wrote: I don't recommend it without proper soil testing. You could be making your soil imbalances worse – and harming your plants in the process.

I fully agree.  A quality compost-based soil, such as MM, will have more than enough minerals and nutrients for the microbial life to make plant available without adding amendments like magnesium and sulfur. Too much magnesium will inhibit calcium uptake, resulting in problems such as Blossom End Rot, and adding sulfur to the soil can result in salt buildup.
Exactly. I didn't even get into the salt buildup in the blog.
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 659

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/19/2023, 11:37 pm

In the early days of the Forum, we posted things that would not be approved today.  The reason may be a holdover from the early days of SFG when the native soil was amended and NOT the All New method of SFG where we ignore the native soil and create Mel's Mix.

Unless a soil tests low in magnesium and sulfur by an appropriate laboratory, or anything else, we don't need to add anything but blended/homemade composts.
 https://calrecycle.ca.gov/Organics/Farming/Analyses/#:~:text=Primary%20Nutrients%20%20%20%20Nutrient%20%20,%20%20percent%20%203%20more%20rows%20

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

dstack likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down