Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Toplef10PNW May updates :) - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW May updates :) - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW May updates :) - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Toplef10PNW May updates :) - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW May updates :) - Page 2 I22gcj10PNW May updates :) - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW May updates :)

+14
Goosegirl
Nonna.PapaVino
RoOsTeR
walshevak
cheyannarach
GWN
UnderTheBlackWalnut
curio
camprn
Lavender Debs
boffer
Daniel9999
gwennifer
FamilyGardening
18 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Empty Re: PNW May updates :)

Post  boffer 5/11/2012, 8:42 pm

I put two toms out today...no cover, no protection. I'll be putting 4 out tomorrow. Living dangerously! lol!

Deb, the one thing that my hoop houses can't do is keep tomatoes warm all summer. I built my green house for tomatoes and peppers in the summer time. Isn't that awful?! Everybody else has a greenhouse to extend seasons or winter gardening. I need one for the middle of summer!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/11/2012, 9:31 pm

@Boffer I was thinking about doing something under poly for tomatoes. The cover we have with a frame looks good for peppers and eggplant BUT not tall enough for most tomatoes. That is why I was so jazzed with yours.

@Rose, almost all of my determinants are in their permenant homes (big pots) and the indetermenants are in 1 gallon pots waiting until I'm less afraid. I just have WAY to many tomatoes!! Got to find good homes for more of them.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 5/11/2012, 9:32 pm

I have been eying the grafted toms I saw at Wilco today......been debating in my head if the extra expense is worth it or not.
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/11/2012, 9:51 pm

Deb's same here.....to many tom's but....we are going to make it work!....their our babies Laughing *promised hubby we wont be growing so many next year* some can share a few wine barrels that we have also.....

boffer.....hubby bought me a small green house this spring a 5x6 Very Happy

we are going to try and grow our first cantaloupe in there along with a couple peppers and some tom's.....which tom's are you going to put out doors and which ones are you going to keep in the green house over the summer?

this is what we have....any sugestions from anyone would be great Very Happy

5 amish paste

3 brandywine.....one not doing so well

4 marglobe...... the only det we have

2 bradley

2 rainbow

yellow pear

1 sweetie

5 jubilee

3 volunteer from last year....yellow cherry of some sort

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/12/2012, 1:17 am

ooops not 5 amish paste....but 5 super italian paste....not sure why i thought they were amish paste....we are going to grow an amish pumpkin Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/12/2012, 10:21 am

Hi All
I am posting here since this is the closest climate to mine, as well as closest geographically.
I have garlic growing huge, big feed of Kale that has been outside for a month...last night.
Peas planting once a week and first few sets are over 6 inches.
Spinach doing wonderfully in SFG.
Cilantro still under plastic, with celery.
All my tomato plants died the other night with the frost, but no loss I grew TONS.
My concern is the peppers, they were the first thing I planted and have been almost 3 months, but they are teensy weensy maybe 1 inch high.
They are in 3 inch pots with mels mix and not thriving at all.
Everything else seems to be comparable to everyone else's pictures EXCEPT the peppers. Oh I should add that the peppers have been in the greenhouse all this time
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/12/2012, 10:25 am

Hi I'm Deb and I grow small peppers after many months.

Thanks GWN for admitting to your peppers. I have kept silent about mine because of shame.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/12/2012, 10:29 am

I have kept silent about mine because of shame.

My sentiment is more worry, I had BIG PLANS for these for the fall.
I have been reading about peppers that they really need water water water, and I wonder whether being in the mels mix they did not get enough.
It will be fine once they are in the garden because I have timers, but in the greenhouse I am not as regular as I should be at watering.

DONT be SHAMED.... find something else to blame!!
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 5/12/2012, 10:54 am

Your peppers sound like my tomatoes Embarassed
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/12/2012, 11:15 am

boffer, my grandmother has a greenhouse for growing tomatoes in the summer. (It's one of my "scent memories" from childhood.) She's in Anchorage, AK. Tons of daylight in the summer, but not real hot.

GWN, my peppers didn't grow at all either for the longest time. Then curio talked about up-potting hers and how they took off after that. I hadn't thought mine were big enough to need up-potting, since they sprouted and then just hardly grew. But I did, based on her post, and they really did grow quickly after that. Practically before my eyes! I had to up-pot them again just two weeks later. Mine were grown in Mel's Mix in my sunny windowsill. At six weeks old they had flower buds.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/12/2012, 11:26 am

Thanks Gwennifer
I have uppotted 2 of my plants and they do not seem to be doing much either.
oddly enough at least 3 of my 30 pepper plants look healthy, the rest do not, I am going to plant them all today in my hoop house and SFG.
We will see what happens.
We have had record lows at night the past 3 nights with bad frosts, but tonite it is supposed to be quite warm
Thanks for the kind post about my music.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/13/2012, 3:21 am

PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Icon_eek the weather has been unbelievable!! PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Icon_eek in the familygarden

all our toms are in their new homes.....a few are left over that were looking a bit not so hot.....if they recover we will give them away to some friends PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

here we have been so worried about night time temps being to cold that now its the day tempst are a bit hotter then what we were ready for PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Fresse ......*not complaining*.....we are a tad bit worried that the tom's are not ready yet for these high temps.....we really had no choice but to harden them off the best we could....they were waaay to big to take back into the house under lights....and...the green house was cooking at over 120 PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Affraid so with some tender loving care.......we shall see

the rest of the garden is coming along....the lettuce is doing great....the spinach is growing but much slower then last year.....the kids carrots are all coming up!.......the sugar snap peas are doing well....the fava beans are doing good.....

we are still trying to figure out how to do a three sisters garden again this year......last year it was in the back garden.....this year we were hoping to grow it in one of our 4x4 SFG beds.....but....some of the veggies in that bed are not ready yet to be pulled to plant the corn and such......so been thinking about using 2 wine barrels for the three sisters.......or we could transplant the lettuce and spinach.....but not sure how they will recover from that.....

the new raised beds back garden is doing very well!......potatoes growing great.....the broc' are getting bigger heads.....so exciting!.....the bok choy....well....all i can say is ....never have we eaten so much bok choy!!....its been a great producer!

hubby finished the harbor trellis for our new grape vines......we will take pics soon and share....it turned out fantastic!!!!!.........so pretty!!!.....he did a great job!

hope you all are having a wonderful weekend!!

hugs
rose....who is sun burned tonight PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Icon_sunny
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/13/2012, 8:36 am

@Rose: Last year was spinach weather. I'm guessing that after the hot temps we had yesterday (and probably today....Happy Mother’s Day to all you moms and to those of you who have moms) spinach should be through for a while. Mine is beautiful but I'm clipping it as fast as I can. We used to joke that spinach is so heat sensitive, it bolts if you are too close to it and have a hot flash.

Corn will not be late if you wait to plant it for a spell. It has been a long time since I have planted corn so I was rolling over old notes and searching the internet just in case I forgot some of the magic beyond taking my finger and poking seeds into the loam. There was a Black-Foot gram'ma way back in my history. I don't know her name, no one is even sure she really was part of our history BUT apparently she passed down a bit of information about planting corn. Your man has to be able to sit comfortably on the ground in nothing but a loin cloth for it to be warm enough to plant corn. On a more practical note, I recently read that all the apple blossoms must fall from the tree before corn is planted. So I'm waiting. The Yellow Transparent has let her petals go but the Gravinstien and Gala are still in full bloom. The corn box is at the ready, I want to start my corn, but I make myself wait.....at least a couple more days!

On a less anxious note, there are a few beans (provider) and sunflowers (mixed) arching out of their blocks. WhooT! Little green sprouts of all kinds of basil (some purple too), Calendula, French Marigolds and cosmos are in their blocks. Celeriac and fennel (hope I'm not too late with the fennel....I forgot to order seed), collards (never been successful with those) and brussels sprouts (I usually wait until late June to start them (to replace my peas in July) then forget to get them going. Radishes are abundant. They are actually ready as fast as the package says they will be. Salad every night with plenty to give away. Some of the early greens look like they are done (the flower budds are my clue) Tomatoes want to blossom. It is starting to feel like one of those rare years.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/13/2012, 9:07 am

Your man has to be able to sit comfortably on the ground in nothing but a loin cloth for it to be warm enough to plant corn
Might be worth growing corn after all....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/13/2012, 9:11 am

I like where you are going with this GWN.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/13/2012, 9:31 am

I planted about 20 tomato plants yesterday 8 Zapata, and the rest brandywine. It was so hot I covered the ones out in my open garden with landscape fabric, and the rest were in hoop house with the ends taken off.
I had plans to close it all back up AND cover the open garden ones with cloches... but went out to dinner last night, got home late, forgot..... Embarassed
It looked like frost on my skylite window, but everything looked just fine. I even left the greenhouse door open overnight and everything looks OK.
As gwen suggested, I up potted most of my peppers into bigger pots.
I have decided to grow Basil in planters this year, measured them out and calculated the square footage in my garden planters was about 1.5 square feet, 6 inches deep. (Those long thin planters that people put on the railings of decks etc, approx 22 inches long and 7 inches wide)
I have several of them I have collected at garage sales and my mothers old garden. I have filled them with MM and figure perhaps I can even bring them in in the fall and have on going basil.
I am growing potatoes in a variety of ways, in the metal mesh rings, in garbage bags, just in the ground, and in my square foot garden.
My artichokes that are second year plants are growing like gangbusters, the first years are STARTING to get bigger.

I am going to post separately about my peas, there are groups of them that look like they are dying PALE ...not sure what to add to the mix.... I am thinking nitrogen (guano) but I thought peas did not need much.??
Garlic looks great, I might harvest a few early as I am getting quite tired of the store bought ones. Does anyone do that?
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/13/2012, 9:32 am

Might be worth growing corn after all....

Just saying.....

Wonder how early you start "testin the soil"??
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 5/13/2012, 10:57 am

Yep, this weather is sure different from last year. I don't want to hear that my spinach is done - it only just started growing!

Debs, I like your notes on corn. I'm going to focus on the apple blossom part! (Wish you lived closer and could come show me how to take care of my new espaliered apple tree.) Most of the blossoms on my tree are done and dropping now.

Can anyone tell me what I should expect of lettuce direct-sowed in April? I barely have more than sprouts still (I posted a pic in this thread earlier) and now it's getting so hot. Am I not likely to get a garden fresh salad this year?

GWN, I love your ambition. Are all the potato methods just because you can? Or are you researching what's going to work the best for you? I'm sending happy pepper thoughts your way. You are our pepper hero here, remember? I hope it's not your mix that's the problem. When you up-potted, how did the roots look?

I'm beginning to feel a bit desperate about my beans. I do so want them to sprout, but no sign yet. (My first beans). I'm making myself wait until next weekend to give up and re-sow if they don't show themselves, based on the germination time and temp chart on page 252. But it's hard! My carrots are all up, right on time according to the chart. I keep reminding myself that.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/13/2012, 11:19 am

to feel a bit desperate about my beans. I do so want them to sprout, but no sign yet. (My first beans). I'm making myself wait until next weekend to give up and re-sow if they don't show themselves, based on the germination time and temp chart on page 252. But it's hard!
Beans will not sprout until they are good and ready to, and when that happens you can almost watch them pop out of the ground.
It HAS to be very warm.
I haven't even planted mine yet.
Last year they took awhile but once up, LOOK OUT, you are out there every day picking beans.... great fun
Yes I do want to stay the pepper queen, but not looking so good right now
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/13/2012, 11:28 am

About the corn....Ray and the boys occasionally where kilts. They tell me they are too scotch (or maybe it was that they would need scotch...as they remind this Swede that THEY are Scottish, scotch is the drink) to sit in the dirt in a wool kilt (dry cleaning and all).

I have 8 Provider beans arching up but they are in soil cubes....otherwise it is still a little early (at least in Everett)

Debs.....the court jester of peppers
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/13/2012, 11:39 am

BTW I saw the peas post.....NO idea what is going on. Sorry you have to put up with that. I have read .....over fertilized, under fertilized, bugs and other creepy things, too hot, too late and who knows what else.

Besides what Camp said, best advice I read was, water them with Chamomile Tea. No idea why. My brother used to choke a lot when he was a toddler (hang on; I remember that I am on a garden forum, I haven't totally lost it yet). The doc used to tell her to hold his hands over his head (like "stick-um up") when he started chocking. I always wondered if this wasn't just so she would have something to do besides panic and bruise his back. It always worked, he would stop choking. Maybe the tea is like that, doesn't hurt, might help, gives you something constructive to do while the problem works itself out. Seems like quilt-bea knows some good things about chamomile tea in the garden. Maybe she could tell you why it might work.

Debs.....wishing you an abundant pea harvest.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/13/2012, 11:41 am

HMMMM I would think using a kilt rather than a loin cloth, one might get their corn in way to early...
but then again leather vs wool.

GWEN I just got out to the garden and remembered I had not answered your potato question.
Are all the potato methods just because you can? Or are you researching what's going to work the best for you?
I think you are giving me FAR too much credit here. I am using all these methods basically because I did not have a plan for what to do with the potatoes.
I ordered 2 boxes when I ordered all my seeds, they said that the potatoes would come out in April. I did NOT get them until last week, and I had already given up on getting them, so I had bought more seed potatoes.
So now have have tons of potatoes and no plans, so I am just trying to find the easiest thing to do to get potatoes. The bed I used last year, now has all of my garlic in it.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 5/13/2012, 11:45 am

My brother used to choke a lot when he was a toddler (hang on; I remember that I am on a garden forum, I haven't totally lost it yet). The doc used to tell her to hold his hands over his head (like "stick-um up") when he started chocking.
lol!
Likely just a way to make your mom feel useful.
I could try some worm tea....... they say its good for what ails ya... even if nothing ails ya
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/13/2012, 2:32 pm

LOL...... cant wait Very Happy to let hubby and son know what Debs said about how to tell if the ground is ready to plant corn!!!!!! PNW May updates :) - Page 2 3170584802 and to think son thought it was cool to pee in the compost pile.....ha ha ha.....this gardening stuff is fun!!

hugs

rose.....
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/14/2012, 12:24 am

here is a few pics from this weekend Very Happy hope you all had a great weekend!

our new trellis for our new grape vines.....didnt hubby do a great job! (please ignore the grass What a Face )

PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Dscf0622

under our new hoops in our new raised beds Shocked

PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Dscf0625

brocs are forming heads...hoping they wont bolt from our heat PNW May updates :) - Page 2 1280598131

PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Dscf0623

both artichokes seem to be doing well in their containers I love you

PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Dscf0624

potatoes

PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Dscf0626

fava bean flower ????

PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Dscf0627

here is what our spinach is doing...they dont look to great

PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Dscf0628

lettuce doing good though....they share the same SFG box as the spinach ...oh...lookie there....a carrot...cant get them to grow in their own squares but they will hide in others......

PNW May updates :) - Page 2 Dscf0629

hugs

rose....who is very tired!
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next