Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Seeking advice on my garlic bed. - Page 2 Toplef10Seeking advice on my garlic bed. - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Seeking advice on my garlic bed. - Page 2 I22gcj10Seeking advice on my garlic bed. - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Seeking advice on my garlic bed. - Page 2 Toplef10Seeking advice on my garlic bed. - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Seeking advice on my garlic bed. - Page 2 I22gcj10Seeking advice on my garlic bed. - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Seeking advice on my garlic bed.

+10
cheyannarach
PeggyC
Chopper
AvaDGardner
JennAndCompany
subsonic
Nonna.PapaVino
Ha-v-v
camprn
walshevak
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Seeking advice on my garlic bed. - Page 2 Empty Re: Seeking advice on my garlic bed.

Post  gwennifer 8/6/2012, 11:40 am

cpl100 wrote:I have been wondering about this top dressing for as long as I've seen it mentioned in this forum. Exactly how do you add compost to already growing plants? Doesn't that cover them up and do harm? I am lost on this concept. Thanks!

Hi cpl100! So to add a top dressing of compost to a square you would sprinkle your compost around the plants, covering the bare Mel's Mix. Much easier to do in squares where the plants are more mature, for sure. If you're top dressing a square with newly sprouted seedlings, just leave a little hole around each sprout. Of course, it's also much easier when there is only one or four plants per square, and gets trickier with the squares that have nine or sixteen plants!

Once you have a nice layer of compost, maybe 1/4" - 1/2", you can use your fingers to kind of work it into the top layer of the mix. Note that this won't always be possible since you may find resistance when you try due to roots that have already grown near the surface. No point in damaging the roots. Just leave the compost on top and nutrients will wash through it down into the square.
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Seeking advice on my garlic bed. - Page 2 Empty What type of garlic grows best in NE?

Post  cpl100 8/6/2012, 11:57 am

I have my mind set on growing garlic (or at least attempting it) and plan to do it in an old child's plastic pool. I saw some beautiful types of garlic here: http://www.territorialseed.com/category/357/a

I am pretty sure that some types are better in different climates. I think I would like to grow some hard neck (for scapes) and some soft neck (for storing as I believe I read they store longer). Well, how long do the hard neck ones store anyway? We use a lot of garlic in our cooking but I would not want to have any rot from storing too long.

Another thing that has me stymied about garlic ordering... They are sold by the pound or half pound. But how many plants does that actually give? When do you usually order your starts? Is there a better/best ordering company for stock that does well in MA or NE? I know I have seen mentioned in threads that people buy from varied companies based on the location of the company relative to their own location.

And, lastly, since my growing space is round rather than square I was thinking I would plant in concentric circles rather than on a square basis. Does that sound correct? I do not see garlic in the ANSFG book but am thinking they are spaced like onions (16 to square so just a few inches apart). Is that a safe assumption?
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Seeking advice on my garlic bed. - Page 2 Empty Re: Seeking advice on my garlic bed.

Post  cpl100 8/6/2012, 2:04 pm

So, after doing more research about garlic growing, I have learned that garlic cannot be in the same spot where any other allium has grown for the previous three years. That kind of nixes my idea of putting the garlic in the pool each year unless I remove the soil each year. Are there any plants that benefit from growing in soil that has just previously grown garlic? Tomatoes maybe?

I really want to grow garlic but this is problematic for me. Does anyone know the reason for this limitation? I could not find that information in the sites I read.
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 8/6/2012, 10:50 pm

cheyannarach wrote:Hahha, I am one of those hopeless people that just have to see for myself sometimes so I planted some garlic that I had sprouting in the kitchen in the garden, I don't have hopes up or anything but I will report back to tell you "the news" in the fall. Seeking advice on my garlic bed. - Page 2 3170584802

Sounds like me, I needed some garlic for the kitchen a few months ago and usually I only buy one bulb at a time as I don't use a lot of it but my choice was single bulbs from China, usually sprayed with nasties to get past our quarantine or a bag of Australian garlic. The bag specifically said it wasn't chemically treated and could be used for planting so I thought why not and now have a square of garlic growing away nicely.

I also have some sweet potato plants chugging away slowly in a pot because it sprouted in the pantry and I thought I'd see what happened. I'm loving experimenting and wish I had more space to try more things!

ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 8/8/2012, 1:42 pm

gwennifer wrote:
cpl100 wrote:I have been wondering about this top dressing for as long as I've seen it mentioned in this forum. Exactly how do you add compost to already growing plants? Doesn't that cover them up and do harm? I am lost on this concept. Thanks!

Hi cpl100! So to add a top dressing of compost to a square you would sprinkle your compost around the plants, covering the bare Mel's Mix. Much easier to do in squares where the plants are more mature, for sure. If you're top dressing a square with newly sprouted seedlings, just leave a little hole around each sprout. Of course, it's also much easier when there is only one or four plants per square, and gets trickier with the squares that have nine or sixteen plants!

Once you have a nice layer of compost, maybe 1/4" - 1/2", you can use your fingers to kind of work it into the top layer of the mix. Note that this won't always be possible since you may find resistance when you try due to roots that have already grown near the surface. No point in damaging the roots. Just leave the compost on top and nutrients will wash through it down into the square.

Thanks. Somehow I envisioned just somehow sprinkling it lightly over the entire bed. And doing nothing else with it.

And, has no one any opinion about growing garlic in the kids' swimming pool idea?
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/8/2012, 2:55 pm

I don't know that the pool idea is such a   one. You really don't want alot of freezing and thawing of the garlic bed. It may work if you mulched heavily on top and all the way around the pool. I would encourage you to explore other alternative planting sites.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Seeking advice on my garlic bed. - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/8/2012, 5:33 pm

The garlic in my raised beds survived just over three weeks of sub zero temps this last winter , some of them dropping down to minus 11 oC / 12 oF for three days with my MM being frozen solid to a depth of just over 8 inches .

I've now harvested all the autumn & spring sown garlic , the biggest bulb is almost three inches in diameter , the greenery just under five feet long & was from a clove planted on 11 Nov 20011.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 8/24/2012, 12:38 pm

What is the spacing for garlic? And the planting depth for the cloves? I tried searching this forum but cannot find the answer. It is not in Mels book (checked chart and index in back). Is it the same as onions (16 per square) since they are both alliums?
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/24/2012, 12:45 pm

cpl100 wrote:What is the spacing for garlic? And the planting depth for the cloves? I tried searching this forum but cannot find the answer. It is not in Mels book (checked chart and index in back). Is it the same as onions (16 per square) since they are both alliums?
I think I planted mine 9 per square foot last season. The link below will provide you with a lot of information regarding growing, harvesting and storing garlic.
http://www.hoodrivergarlic.com/garlic-calendar.htm

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Seeking advice on my garlic bed. - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/24/2012, 1:09 pm

I have harvested some heads of garlic measuring almost 3 inches across, so take that possibility into consideration. In the hopes of getting BIG heads of garlic, I usually plant the largest cloves about 7-8 inches apart, which makes it rather difficult when trying to translate this into a square foot spacing. My solution is to use half of one of the long beds and plant in separate blocks for each individual variety (usually 3 different kinds) in a roughly 2' x 10' area, spacing between the cloves depends on my experience with how large that variety grows. You can plant more intensively if you stagger your individual clove placement, i.e., 7 garlics in first row from back of 2' bed to front, and 5 in the second row, then 7 in third, and so on, but with only 4 inches between the rows.
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 8/24/2012, 1:14 pm

Wow, thank you, camprn, you've introduced me to a garlic seed source that's totally new to me! And not that far away. Would love to see their farm. Perhaps during the Hood River Harvest Festival. With gratitude, Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  cpl100 8/24/2012, 1:15 pm

Thank you both for the information. I have just found this link after expanding my search out of the SFG forum and book:

http://www.specialtycrops.colostate.edu/scp_exp_demo/garlic_2004_spce_flme_scpe.htm
cpl100
cpl100

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2