Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries Toplef10Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries I22gcj10Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries Toplef10Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries I22gcj10Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries

+2
littlesapphire
Moreman78
6 posters

Go down

Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries Empty Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries

Post  Moreman78 4/13/2012, 12:40 pm

Fellow SFG's!

I've read quite a bit on planting these various types of fruits in a SFG. Was wondering if anyone had some insight into what varieties of plants of each are best to grow in our region? I would like to see high yielding plants with excellent taste that bear fruit season round...and now I feel I am asking too much. Can anyone with experience in these plants please give me some feedback on the best varieties to plant and their success stories.

Thanks!
Moreman78
Moreman78

Male Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries Empty Re: Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries

Post  littlesapphire 4/13/2012, 1:39 pm

I think you're asking for what we all want in a berry plant! I can't give you any specific varieties, but I can say to look for everbearing strawberries (vs. June bearing). There are certain varieties of raspberries that will give you two harvests a year, whereas most will only give you one. I've read that heritage raspberries, if pruned correctly, will give you two harvests a year. I honestly don't know much about blueberries, except that for most varieties (though not all), you need two different types of blueberry in order for the bushes to produce berries.

I can say, though, that these plants are practically made for our region Very Happy So you should have no trouble growing them.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries Empty Re: Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries

Post  llama momma 4/13/2012, 2:24 pm

Google your state agricultural college. Each state has one. They will have an extension service where they share that info with the public.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Strawberries, Raspberries, and Blueberries Empty Re: strawberry and blueberry varieties for MD

Post  Karenberry 4/19/2012, 12:22 am

University of Maryland ag extension has publications on these. Fact Sheet 755 from the Maryland Cooperative Extension is for blueberries. It lists the following as recommended cultivars for Maryland: Bluetta, Duke, Earliblue, Spartan, Patriot, Blueray, Bluecrop, Jersey, Elliott, and Lateblue. I ordered some organic varieties online last fall, but keep eyeing more in stores. Wink The Home Depot in Germantown had Duke and Elliott, among other varieties, in March. Top Hat is a small plant good for containers, and was recommended by an employee at a local nursery/garden center. As far as the strawberries, I think Mohawk, Earliglow, Cavendish, Primetime, and Latestar are recommended by UMD. Also, you can go to strawberry plants.org and they have a listing for recommended varieties by state. Good luck!
Karenberry
Karenberry

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  kev 4/23/2012, 8:24 pm

I picked up a bunch of blueberry varieties last fall real cheap,and I have to say,the tophats have by far the most blooms on them.They are covered.I don't know if that will end up giving me the most berries,we'll see what happens.Smile

Raspberries,again,grabbed a bunch of kinds last fall.My thinking on this was,the reds will bloom now(they are)and get fruit early summer.I also grabbed golden raspberries that fruit in fall.I have heritage ones too,so we'll see if they are everbearing as they say.That should spread raspberry production out over months.

Strawberries,mixed kinds,(lowes and walmart clearance)Quinalt,Allstar,tristar,merlan,tristan,and some others I can't remember.Some everbearing,some june bearing,should spread it out for awhile.They are covered with flowers already,some have green strawberries on them.

I went a little different direction by planting various kinds to spread the harvest,don't know for sure what produces best yet,but if you have the room the variety is nice.Did the same with blackberries a few years back and have an extended harvest of different size and taste berries.
kev

Back to top Go down

Post  Moreman78 4/24/2012, 1:32 pm

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. I did contact the state college to find out their research on the issue and they got back to me within a few days.

I ended up finding the cheapest place I could, http://simmonsplantfarm.com, to place an order for strawberries and raspberries. I ended up ordering 25 Cardinal bare root strawberry plants, 25 ozark beauty strawberries, and 5 heritage raspberry plants. They should be here on Thursday. I am so excited to start them.

From the other research I've done, seems it's never a good idea to do the raspberries in the SFG. And I actually hadn't heard of anyone on this forum planting strawberries 4 per square, Mel's way. However my friend Mr. Google found me another person in SLC, UT who has done his strawberries this way and makes it sound as if he has lots and lots of big juicy strawberries doing it this way.

Has anyone tried Mel's way to do 4 plants per square? Results? Also, has anyone tried putting raspberries in a container of any sort or in their SFG? Results?

Thanks everyone, so excited it is Spring and new growth is in the garden! Also trying a plastic garbage can as a composter. Question I had about this is the minimum recommended depth height width is 3X3 feet and my garbage can is maybe half that. There are other composting bins you can buy that appear to be much less than that as well, so I am assuming I should start to see fresh compost soon. Then again, my bin is only half full of compost...

Happy gardening to everyone!
Moreman78
Moreman78

Male Posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/24/2012, 3:26 pm

Don't make my mistake and overfill the garbage can composter. There was no space for the stuff to tumble and mix. Worked fine when I made a second one and split the compost until finished.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down