Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so Toplef10I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so I22gcj10I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so Toplef10I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so I22gcj10I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Mon May 06, 2024 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Mon May 06, 2024 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Mon May 06, 2024 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Sun May 05, 2024 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Sun May 05, 2024 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Sun May 05, 2024 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Sat May 04, 2024 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener Thu May 02, 2024 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Wed May 01, 2024 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Wed May 01, 2024 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so

+21
llama momma
H_TX_2
HereIGrowAgain
RoOsTeR
Daniel9999
ilvalleygal
gwennifer
Chopper
stripesmom
GWN
Furbalsmom
plantoid
TN_GARDENER
camprn
AvaDGardner
littlejo
efirvin
Too Tall Tomatoes
givvmistamps
B00kemdano
JeanneRamick
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so Empty I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so

Post  JeanneRamick Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:34 pm

Have the new SFG book. Successful SFG for a few years. So, good ... right?

The neighbor across the street (just moved in .. this is a condo association with lots of rules) has berated me for "wasting so much money" on my garden.

He has one of those $45 dollar cedar kits from Home Depot that he's filling with astro-turf and Miracle-Grow water-saving potting soil. His stated plan is to "just use Miracle Grow when things look poorly"

Not to be mean, but he's telling everyone in the complex that I'm an idiot for buying "excessive" lumber and building a "cage" of chicken wire. (His SFQ has only 1" wide lumber)
JeanneRamick
JeanneRamick

Female Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so Empty Re: I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so

Post  JeanneRamick Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:36 pm

Ok, that was just whining, wasn't it?

Sorry.

Just hope my SFG beats the heck out of his whimpy imposter garden.

~feeling better now~ lol
JeanneRamick
JeanneRamick

Back to top Go down

I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so Empty Re: I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so

Post  B00kemdano Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:43 pm

I don't think the new guy is winning points with the neighbors if he's just moved in and already talking smack about someone he doesn't know.

Show him the error of his ways by growing better stuff in your garden. Laughing
B00kemdano
B00kemdano

Male Posts : 131

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:45 pm

The proof will be in the produce! Set uP a "taste test" when crops start rolling In.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Too Tall Tomatoes Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:22 pm

Why do you care if he thinks you're an idiot? Show him up with better results! Twisted Evil
Too Tall Tomatoes
Too Tall Tomatoes

Male Posts : 1069

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:35 pm

Nope you're not an idiot and your results will prove it. Smile Blow Mr. Miracle Glo off and don't let him rob you of the enjoyment you get from your sfg!

Evelyn
efirvin
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:53 pm

Just tell your neighbors that you are growing 'organic' veggies and his are not. Most folks will appreciate your effort and he will be the fool!
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:57 pm

Jeanne, what is the astro turf for? His weed cover?

Hey...maybe he thinks it will grow!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:54 pm

People like that usually have a serious inferiority complex. Tell him quite clearly the cease his slander of your good name. If it continues, I would consider it a form of harassment.

P.S. Don't forget to give extra vegetables or summer jam to your neighbors Wink

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:06 pm

JeanneRamick wrote:Ok, that was just whining, wasn't it?

Sorry.

Just hope my SFG beats the heck out of his whimpy imposter garden.

~feeling better now~ lol

Just a little, but that's OK.
Hopefully you two can end up being friendly neighbors and learn from one another. It could be worse. I've lived in apartments and condos that had rules against growing vegetables.
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:15 pm

.Stop putting your life on hold and worrying what the cretin is saying.

Get on with your SFG'ing and enjoy it while you can because you're a long time dead .

The neighbours will soon make their choices , it's not often they take to someone with a big mouth and an empty head.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:22 pm

Jeanne wrote:Not to be mean, but he's telling everyone in the complex that I'm an idiot for buying "excessive" lumber and building a "cage" of chicken wire. (His SFQ has only 1" wide lumber)

Remember, he is not really SFGng. He just has a wimpy raised bed with an inferior growing medium. I am I an idiot? Neighbor thinks so 3787310120 So, There!

All kidding aside, don't let him prevent you from enjoying your garden. The success of your garden is all you need.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:43 pm

AvaDGardner wrote:Jeanne, what is the astro turf for? His weed cover?

Hey...maybe he thinks it will grow!
rofl

I was kinda wondering why the astro-turf also.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:45 pm

One thing I have learned taking on political issues, and that is that "even if everyone disagrees with you, it STILL DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE WRONG"

He likely watches too much TV Smile
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Last year, when I did my first SFG boxes, my DH thought I was nuts. I mean, really nuts. I talked about it all the time, I thought about it all the time too, lol. But in the end, he and his family were amazed at what I had produced from a few small boxes (see my picture?). We have expanded and are expanding again this year. It's a learning experience, plus, it's fun. When everyone else's garden burnt up, mine was fine because I could shade it and I watered it twice a day by hand. (Hopefully, I can get a watering system going). When they all had weeds but no garden, mine was growing well and weed free. We had tomatoes before anyone else. Don't worry about what other people say, do what you want. Oh, also, that Miracle Grow is way more expensive than MM if your going to plant lots of boxes. Not sure if you have a Menard's close, but you can get vermiculite there for a lot less. It's in the insulation department.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  JeanneRamick Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:11 pm

Thanks for the encouragement folks. (Why the heck am I still acting like a Jr High girl by caring what someone else thinks of me? Good heavens ... at my age, you'd think things like that no longer mattered, right? Or maybe we really do get younger {more immature} as we age ... I haven't gotten to the point that my BM's - or not - have become a topic of conversation as some others in the complex have.)

Mr. Miracle-Grow put Astro-turf in the bottom of his box (which is not delineated as a SFG per Mel's book) for some reason. I have no idea why he would do that, as we both have our boxes on our cement patio's. The only weeds that could get in would be wind-driven. So my "excessive" investment in using 2" lumber seams a 'wash' to the astro-turf ... IMHO.
JeanneRamick
JeanneRamick

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:17 pm

You know jeaneramick
You are SOOO right.
Why the heck does anyone care what anyone else thinks of them, ESPECIALLY when the anyone else's are sooooo silly.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  JeanneRamick Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:36 pm

Probably because our patio's face each other across the open area between buildings AND he sits out there smoking (nasty, stinky) cigars while 'bad-mouthing' me.

It's wrong for me to know about how tobacco affects tomato plants and not mention to him, isn't it?

GWN wrote:You know jeaneramick You are SOOO right.
Why the heck does anyone care what anyone else thinks of them, ESPECIALLY when the anyone else's are sooooo silly.
JeanneRamick
JeanneRamick

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:47 pm

JeanneRamick wrote:Probably because our patio's face each other across the open area between buildings AND he sits out there smoking (nasty, stinky) cigars while 'bad-mouthing' me.

It's wrong for me to know about how tobacco affects tomato plants and not mention to him, isn't it?

OK, please fill me in on tobacco and tomatoes. I know tobacco contains "bad things" for poinsettias, but tomatoes? Inquiring minds want to know.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  JeanneRamick Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:59 pm

Michelle, there is a cross-transmitted disease from tobacco to (lots!) of other plants. I don't remember the details very well, but my parents "burned" it into me that smokers were NOT allowed near the tomato plants.

Maybe a Google search for "tomatoes tobacco" would bring up the details.
JeanneRamick
JeanneRamick

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:02 am

JeanneRamick wrote:Michelle, there is a cross-transmitted disease from tobacco to (lots!) of other plants. I don't remember the details very well, but my parents "burned" it into me that smokers were NOT allowed near the tomato plants.

Maybe a Google search for "tomatoes tobacco" would bring up the details.

Thanks; probably the same disease that harms the poinsettias. Just one more thing on my list of "To research". study
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:19 am

tobacco mosaic virus
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:19 am

Remember this:

"Offense is never given, only taken."
Don't know who to attribute it to, but I remember it every time I feel offended. It reminds me that I have a choice. Forgive him.

Been doing this SFG thing successfully for a few years now huh? That's great! Hope you'll share your experience with us newbies.

BTW, am I the only one who is now thinking of the "tomacco" Simpson episode?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ilvalleygal Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:02 am

1) Warn your neighbors to turn down anything grown in that garden since it contains any number of petroleum-based, cancer causing chemicals leached from the astroturf.

2) Next time you are out and about stop at a locally-owned, reputable nursery or greenhouse (not a box store, the young folks they hire don't have a clue) and ask about using Scott's Miracle-Gro as a planting medium for anything, even ornamentals.

And, when the tomatoes come in, enjoy them since they won't eventually kill you.
ilvalleygal

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:30 pm

Our coordinator is always answering that question.

MG will give you false results. It has ingredients that give you unnatural increases for year one, which also stresses the plants. The following years those additives are gone, used up in year 1, and so you get normal results or smaller for year 2+.
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next