Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 Toplef10Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 I22gcj10Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 Toplef10Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 I22gcj10Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Do raspberries have special needs?

+23
sanderson
camprn
FamilyGardening
audrey.jeanne.roberts
walshevak
Mikesgardn
SwampCatNana
GWN
UnderTheBlackWalnut
plantoid
givvmistamps
littlejo
donnainzone5
NHGardener
larissap3
Lavender Debs
Furbalsmom
Arlis
WardinWake
junequilt
jinx
Chopper
Wyldflower
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do raspberries have special needs?

Post  givvmistamps 4/9/2012, 11:48 am

If I can get another planter before the owner of the empty lot ever gets around to mowing, I'll run out and grab the plant. I can add some leaves from the Live Oaks to the soil to lower the pH a bit and keep it happy. It did appear pretty close to a Live Oak, so it must be happy with that leaf litter out there.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 Empty Re: Do raspberries have special needs?

Post  GWN 4/9/2012, 12:04 pm

I am curious what people mean when they say LIVE OAKS?
I mean do dead oaks have leaves??

Perhaps a dumb question, ....
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 4/9/2012, 12:26 pm

Hey GWN -

I think Camp explained it for us northerners in another post because I was confused too. Apparently a "Live Oak" is a variety of oak tree predominant in the south: Live Oak
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 559
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/9/2012, 12:30 pm

Live Oaks are a species of oak that primarily grow in the Southeastern US. Their leaves don't look like what you would normally think of when you think "oak tree." They're much smaller leaves, long & narrow, and lobeless. They grow so prolifically here in FL there's even a town named Live Oak near where I live.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 7/18/2012, 8:32 pm

I came across this on Pinterest on FB. It may help.

Growing raspberries

Here is a pic showing a set up for growing raspberries. Has nothing to do with the previous link in my post. Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 15593710
This also was found on Pinterest on FB. Use this link to find the directions: Raspberry bed

You may have to scroll down the page a bit.
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 Empty raspberries

Post  Mikesgardn 8/11/2013, 7:53 pm

Having had good luck with strawberries, I tried raspberries this year and harvested my first handful this week. I planted them in two raised beds, each measuring 2'x8'x9". I chose a variety called "heritage". With this variety, you can cut them down each year and get one harvest in late summer. They haven't been too difficult so far, but I learned that they do need a trellis to contain them, and I have to spend time every couple of days picking off Japanese Beatles. All in all they look like they will be a nice addition to my garden.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/11/2013, 8:37 pm

They need to not have the bunnies eating them. I lost 2 out of 3 new plants last year to the wascally wabbits.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 Empty Containing Raspberry root runners?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/22/2014, 9:49 pm

I bought a plant start last year from Lowe's and it's supposed to be a more "bush" type raspberry but this spring I'm seeing starts coming up from the roots 3 to 4 feet away on my hillside.

Anyone have a tried and true method of containing them before they get out of hand?!!

At least they aren't thorny so if they become the ground cover they won't be TOO bad - I hope  Shocked

EDIT:  I meant to start this as it's own topic, but it ended up here.  I guess I'll see if you guys have any answers for it before starting a main topic elsewhere.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 3/23/2014, 1:23 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:I bought a plant start last year from Lowe's and it's supposed to be a more "bush" type raspberry but this spring I'm seeing starts coming up from the roots 3 to 4 feet away on my hillside.

Anyone have a tried and true method of containing them before they get out of hand?!!

At least they aren't thorny so if they become the ground cover they won't be TOO bad - I hope  Shocked

EDIT:  I meant to start this as it's own topic, but it ended up here.  I guess I'll see if you guys have any answers for it before starting a main topic elsewhere.

the only way I know how to contain a raspberry is to stay on top of the pruning....

each spring or fall when we get new canes we tie them to a stick ...you can also just tie some string to the cane and not use a stick...if we had a trellis then we would tie them to a trellis because our canes can get over 5' tall......

after they produce and die off we cut only the canes that were tied with something...we cut them all the way to the ground and leave the rest to tie up for next year.......and continue to do this each year....

if the raspberries are moving out of the area you want them in....you can dig them up and move them to the space you want them in....

not sure if that helps or not....its the way we keep our raspberries....

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 Empty Raspberries

Post  camprn 3/23/2014, 7:50 am

Different kinds of raspberries require different maintenance strategies. Do you have the name of the variety you planted?
http://cagardenweb.ucanr.edu/Berries/Raspberries

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=5MkuU8WzEYSiyAHB94HADw&url=http://ucanr.org/sites/gardenweb/files/29061.pdf&cd=4&ved=0CDUQFjAD&usg=AFQjCNH5qAlP9CGj1EtvSFqijpwP2_LxcQ&sig2=OrsV1RE4VPSWAuCm7i3Nsw

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/23/2014, 12:01 pm

Thanks for moving my post Camp!  Great information on that website.  Fortunately (and accidentally) I planted my raspberry in a afternoon shaded portion of my garden which is what they recommend for hot areas like mine.  

My dog ate the packaging so I don't know what it is except if I remember correctly it's a dwarf bush type and it doesn't have any thorns.  We had exactly 2 berries last year.  I got one and gave one to my hubby  Very Happy   They tasted wonderful so I'm looking forward to this season.  

I watched some videos on raspberries last night, so I'm going to dig up some of the offshoots and plant them elsewhere.  Now I need to figure out how long I want to make the support system and get it in before things take off too much.  I have a large size tomato cage over the main plant at the moment but that doesn't sound like it will be adequate.

I'm also thinking of transplanting the baby plants to the top of my hillside and letting them grow on the wire fence.  Anyone have any experience with that and can chime in with ideas?
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/24/2014, 1:43 am

Audrey, The man who has the worm castings that Keeper and I bought, has thorn-less raspberries and blackberries in half wine barrels, or are they air pruning bags. (if my memory serves me). I think the support wires are stretched horizontally between the barrels/bags. Keeper, am I remembering his set up correctly? Plus they are along his west fence so they would get some afternoon shade.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/6/2014, 9:26 am

http://awaytogarden.com/raspberries-gooseberries-lee-reich/

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 4/6/2014, 9:52 am

Raspberries, I LOVE
I have grown mine along my fence on both sides of property
Most of them I got from a neighbour who was trying to get rid of his.
EVERbearing will produce some fruit on whats left of last years stock, and also send out a shoot that will produce fruit in the fall. Spring bearing produces on last years stock, and after it has produced fruit and is done, it sends out  another shoot that will be next years fruit.
SO I have to keep them straight as far as pruning.
This time if year it is hard to tell which is which.
The spring bearing ones, I will cut the "cane" down to the ground when it is done fruiting.  The fall bearing ones, I cut in a variety of lengths in the fall to attempt to have fruit all summer.
Apparently....... with fall bearing..... IF you cut the cane to the ground in the fall, the new cane in the spring will produce earlier than the fall..... such as August.
BUT if you leave SOME of the cane, you will get fruit in the spring on that.
With fall bearing, some people just mow the whole plants down at the end of the crop in the fall.

BTW, Last year I bought a more exotic looking raspberry that was yellow and the fruit was absolutely incredible ,.... and that plant is my most vigourous, sending out shoots all over the place Very Happy
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/29/2016, 5:16 pm

GWN wrote:
Apparently....... with fall bearing..... IF you cut the cane to the ground in the fall, the new cane in the spring will produce earlier than the fall..... such as August.
BUT if you leave SOME of the cane, you will get fruit in the spring on that.
With fall bearing, some people just mow the whole plants down at the end of the crop in the fall.

I sure hope this is right.  Mine were extras given to me last year and we don't know the variety but I was told to cut the canes all the way down at the end of the season. So they must be fall bearing.  Anyway, I forgot to cut them back last fall Embarassed and didn't do it until early this spring.  It was hard because they had beautiful leaf buds on them.  So I cut most of them back and left a few to see what will happen.

Originally there were 14 tiny plants, planted in 6" of MM with extra compost: Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 02810
Hard to see but the canes that weren't cut are across the back of the 7' x 2' box.  I left room to mow down any escapees that come outside the box once the cardboard under the box disintegrates.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/29/2016, 5:31 pm

Yay, we can be raspberry buddies!  Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 3170584802 My 4 little Fallgold starts are still happy. Even the 5th tiny one is still hanging on. Very Happy
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/29/2016, 9:30 pm

In my experience, you can't hurt 'em. They will produce less or more based on their various issues, but they are basically brambles and are very hardy. It is the weeds that compete for their nutrients that will do them in. Miss them....might have to do a bed.....long and narrow. Hmmm
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/29/2016, 11:16 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:In my experience, you can't hurt 'em.  They will produce less or more based on their various issues, but they are basically brambles and are very hardy.  It is the weeds that compete for their nutrients that will do them in.  Miss them....might have to do a bed.....long and narrow.  Hmmm
Kewl! I know how to deal with weeds.  Do raspberries have special needs? - Page 2 1280598131
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/30/2016, 9:11 am

Yay! I love perennial food plants that grow like weeds! Strawberries are like that here. I was able to freeze baggies of both from last year's crops.
I love you
Speaking of raspberries, I was just out visiting the raspberry box and saw that a bunch have jumped ship already. Amazing since there were four layers of cardboard under that box last year. I think I'm going to try to transplant them into the box. They're so healthy I just can't bear to mow them over.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 6/20/2016, 3:51 pm

I purchased six raspberry plants from Stark earlier this year. They were shipped bareroot, so I put them in pots right away.  All six are healthy and robust, but only two have blooms and berries forming.

The Fall Gold starter plant I purchased at a local store died, so I guess I'll order a gold variety from Stark next year, unless I come across a neighbor who has one.

How is raspberry propagated?  I never see seeds for sale.  Is it as simple as planting a ripe berry?  If by cuttings, do you use ground cinnamon or root hormone?
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/20/2016, 4:22 pm

I don't know much about it but I do know that they seem a lot like strawberries in that the mother shoots off babies, but underground, that show up in the spring.  Little ones pop up everywhere.  That's how I got mine, a nice person gave me their baby plants 2 springs ago. I planted them and they grew.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 6/20/2016, 5:30 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:I don't know much about it but I do know that they seem a lot like strawberries in that the mother shoots off babies, but underground, that show up in the spring.  Little ones pop up everywhere.  That's how I got mine, a nice person gave me their baby plants 2 springs ago. I planted them and they grew.

CC

Did you take any special care when transporting or planting the babies?  According to other replies in the thread, raspberries don't always transplant easily...?
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/20/2016, 7:14 pm

Ginger Blue wrote:Did you take any special care when transporting or planting the babies?  According to other replies in the thread, raspberries don't always transplant easily...?
I bought mine thru the mail from a private individual. They arrived in perfect condition and transplanted beautifully. (Unlike my strawberry plants from Parks that arrived in poor condition and mostly died off -- customer service ignored my requests to make it right).  Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/21/2016, 2:58 pm

Mine were shipped from a friend in a box and wrapped in wet newspapers I think it was.  Then they were all placed in plastic so as not to leak while traveling thru the mail. The box was REALLY heavy! I stuck them in water as soon as I could. The next day I built the box, mixed up the MM with extra compost and planted them. I guess since I had no idea that they weren't supposed to transplant well, they decided to grow.
Wink
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/21/2016, 6:42 pm

I dug mine up from a friend's yard in the spring (old house, bummer) and brought them home and planted them. They all did fine. Got weedy though fast. In with my traditional organic garden. Strawberries got so weedy I abandoned them. I will do raised beds in future for both. They seemed pretty tough though. Probably an old farmyard variety. They were red.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2