Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Washington DC Toplef10Hello from Washington DC 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Washington DC I22gcj10Hello from Washington DC 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Washington DC Toplef10Hello from Washington DC 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Washington DC I22gcj10Hello from Washington DC 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Washington DC

4 posters

Go down

Hello from Washington DC Empty Hello from Washington DC

Post  GinaVA3 4/3/2010, 3:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a mom of three in Washington DC, and we're starting our first SFG. The kids are excited to eat their own produce, and we've had such a bad time gardening the past few years that I'm hoping the SFG method will be successful. We have terrible soil and are at the bottom of a hill, so the water collects and it's swampy back there. We're starting with one 4x4 box, so I added the plywood base and raised it up on cinder blocks. I'm hoping our blizzard-y winter won't lead way to a stormy summer!

I'll be blogging our progress at my blog, Moneywise Moms, where I write about family finance and frugality. I hope you'll stop by! I'm glad to have this forum, and we've been enjoying seeing the photos of last year's gardens. We want to see that kind of growth!

Take care,

Gina
GinaVA3

Back to top Go down

Hello from Washington DC Empty Re: Hello from Washington DC

Post  WardinWake 4/3/2010, 10:02 pm

GinaVA3 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm a mom of three in Washington DC, and we're starting our first SFG. The kids are excited to eat their own produce, and we've had such a bad time gardening the past few years that I'm hoping the SFG method will be successful. We have terrible soil and are at the bottom of a hill, so the water collects and it's swampy back there. We're starting with one 4x4 box, so I added the plywood base and raised it up on cinder blocks. I'm hoping our blizzard-y winter won't lead way to a stormy summer!

I'll be blogging our progress at my blog, Moneywise Moms, where I write about family finance and frugality. I hope you'll stop by! I'm glad to have this forum, and we've been enjoying seeing the photos of last year's gardens. We want to see that kind of growth!

Take care,

Gina

HI Gina and welcome to the SFG forum. You and the kids will have so much fun doing this method of gardening over the old row gardening. I too have SFG on blocks, and on purpose built frames as well.
When you put your plywood bottom in how many and what size drain holes did you put in? I used 1/4 inch holes every 12 inches and it seems to work fine.

Will you be growing any vine crops? Cukes and beans and such? Cukes and tomatoes are so good together.

I'm glad your children are eager to garden. It is such a learning experience for them. Many kids today only know that food comes from wal-mart and have no idea how to grow their own. Please be sure to post often as I so much want to know how your children and the garden are working out.

BTW the youngest SFG teacher is 15 years old and he taught his first full class on the 1st. He has been SFGing for 3 years now. Do a forum search on Josh and read his posts.

Again Hello from Washington DC 396615 God Bless, Ward.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 4/3/2010, 10:13 pm

Gina - I think our wet winter is the "other shoe" after such a wet summer last year. Mother Nature won't do that to us again - I hope.

Best wishes!!

n.
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Buffington 4/3/2010, 10:16 pm

GinaVA3 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm a mom of three in Washington DC, and we're starting our first SFG.
Welcome to the forums! I've only been 'through' DC, but I'd love to visit there on vacation sometime. When you live in Orlando, the last thing you and the kids want to see is Disney. Laughing

The kids are excited to eat their own produce, and we've had such a bad time gardening the past few years that I'm hoping the SFG method will be successful.
You are definately not alone. This is my second year trying a full scale garden. Last year I felt a little like Job... the tomatoes got eaten by bugs, the peas shriveled up and died before getting very big, I only got one crop of beans (that which the ants didn't get to), and then the weeds took over.. Sad

We have terrible soil and are at the bottom of a hill, so the water collects and it's swampy back there. We're starting with one 4x4 box, so I added the plywood base and raised it up on cinder blocks. I'm hoping our blizzard-y winter won't lead way to a stormy summer!
Florida has a lot of bad soil, and a ton of weeds. Much of our soil tends to be really sandy. We just had a ton of rain in a short period, and it's still somewhat soggy.

Almost wish I had put a bottom on mine and raised it up.. but I haven't had the problem with water in several years (since Hurricane Wilma brought us a bunch of rain a couple of years ago.) Needless to say, I can sympathize with you.

Take care,

Gina
Good luck! I look forward to seeing pictures of your successes.. Wink
Jeff Buffington
Jeff Buffington

Male Posts : 150

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down