Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trying to find Compost to buy in OK Toplef10Trying to find Compost to buy in OK 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trying to find Compost to buy in OK I22gcj10Trying to find Compost to buy in OK 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trying to find Compost to buy in OK Toplef10Trying to find Compost to buy in OK 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trying to find Compost to buy in OK I22gcj10Trying to find Compost to buy in OK 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Trying to find Compost to buy in OK

+6
rod champion
javaaddict
jfkelly001
ashort
camprn
sngrant
10 posters

Go down

Trying to find Compost to buy in OK Empty Trying to find Compost to buy in OK

Post  sngrant 2/14/2012, 8:54 pm

Hello from OK. I am excited about SFG and in the process of building boxes, etc. I have been calling around to try to find compost. The only thing I have found is Leaf compost, mushroom and cotton bur. Any ideas on where to find others?
sngrant
sngrant

Back to top Go down

Trying to find Compost to buy in OK Empty Re: Trying to find Compost to buy in OK

Post  camprn 2/14/2012, 9:09 pm

Trying to find Compost to buy in OK 396615 to the SFG Forum! I see on Google that there are several dairy and horse farms in your area. If you have a Farmer's Market, sometimes the farmers there can set you in the right direction. I found some llama poo using Freecycle.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Trying to find Compost to buy in OK WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Trying to find Compost to buy in OK Empty Re: Trying to find Compost to buy in OK

Post  ashort 2/14/2012, 10:11 pm

I would check a big box store for composted cow manure. Black Kow is common down here and is pretty good stuff. You can also check to see if they have any other composts there. Check around for some chicken farms, if I remember they are more common off to the east of Tulsa, but there might be some out towards Manford or Bristow. Sometimes the big box stores have another type of compost as well. I seem to have more success at Lowe's here.

The others that you have are excellent.
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Trying to find Compost to buy in OK Empty Trying to find Compost to buy in OK

Post  jfkelly001 2/14/2012, 11:31 pm

here is where you can buy bulk compost in bulk. they have leave/grass compost and mushroom compost. They will del 2 cu yards for $100 or you can pickup for much lower price.

Gem Dirt, LLC.
Tulsa's Best Topsoil

2526 W 101st St South
Tulsa, Ok 74132
Phone: (918) 298-0299

Last edited by jfkelly001 on 2/14/2012, 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correct spelling)
jfkelly001
jfkelly001

Male Posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post  javaaddict 2/14/2012, 11:49 pm

I've been doing this very same thing. Smile I found bags of compost at Lowes and Menards (not sure if you have those?) for $1.39/40# bag. I figure that's about 0.75 cu ft. Not too bad really. I was going to get a bulk shipment from the municipality, but I realized one of the main ingredients was "biosolids from the waste water treatment plant" and I changed my mind.

Oh, I should add that they had cow manure. That should balance you out a bit. Smile
javaaddict
javaaddict

Female Posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post  rod champion 2/15/2012, 12:14 am

Most country folk who have horses or cows will let you take your shovel and go at it.

Where there are horses, there is always manure, that they need rid of.
rod champion

Male Posts : 125

http://www.southholstonriverflyshop.com

Back to top Go down

Trying to find Compost to buy in OK Empty compost

Post  landarch 2/15/2012, 12:31 am

Look for a boarding stable in your area...they clean out manure mixed with bedding straw maybe once a week and often give it away. The manure and straw count for two of the five types of compost in one stop.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/15/2012, 6:34 am

The Black Kow company packages Black Kow, Black Hen, and a mushroom compost. I used all three along with a some others and was very please. I highly recommend these products. Lowes in some areas carries all 3 plus a forest products compost.

I do read the list of ingredients and just avoid the ones that list peat humus. Those will cause a peat inbalance in MM as we add our own peat. Like most people just starting out, I had to purchase my compost the first year and will have to purchase the compost for the four new beds this year. However, I started 2 carbage can composters last year and had enough in one this past fall to replenish four beds for fall planting and a garlic bed. I now have two outside piles going and am getting started with a worm bin.

Happy gardening,

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/15/2012, 6:43 am

sngrant wrote:Hello from OK. I am excited about SFG and in the process of building boxes, etc. I have been calling around to try to find compost. The only thing I have found is Leaf compost, mushroom and cotton bur. Any ideas on where to find others?

Add 2 manure composts and you will have agreat mix.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  hopeless151 4/12/2012, 12:46 pm

Hey okie! I live out in OOLOGAH and have several friends with cows and horses. I go shovel it and it is free! My old neighbor has llama's and I have heard that is really good to use. I am going to check with her today to see if I can get some of that.

What about sheep...is their manure good to use? I know someone with sheep too!
hopeless151
hopeless151

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 4/12/2012, 2:48 pm

I just brought back some horse manure and cow patties for a friend's ranch to comost for this coming fall. I plan to add grass clippings, acceptable kitchen waste, and leaf litter.

Boarding stables often have aged manure compost ready to use. If it's fresh you may have to compost it for a while. Typically it is manure with clean bedding straw (an added bonus).
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Trying to find Compost to buy in OK Empty Lowe's and Stringer's Nursery are your best bets

Post  kat51415 4/12/2012, 6:19 pm

I just went through this whole compost nightmare last week. I was able to get the 5 different kinds between Lowe's and Stringer's Nursery in Tulsa. Lowe's was where I got the mushroom, Black Kow, cotton bur and peat. Stringer's had the chicken and something called Back to Nature. It had some cotton bur in it so I added a bag of bat guano and worm castings to balance it out. I also got more chicken than the Back to Nature. Stringer's also carries the 4 cf bags of coarse vermiculite but call ahead to make sure they have it. We mixed enough MM for 14 boxes. I am soooo sore, even with using a Mantis cultivator to mix in the back of our pickups. When I have time, I'll post some pictures in the Mid South region.

PS Welcome to the forum!
kat51415
kat51415

Female Posts : 91

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down