Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 Toplef10Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 I22gcj10Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 Toplef10Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 I22gcj10Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Organizing your SEED PACKETS

+21
AvaDGardner
LaborDay RN
yolos
RoOsTeR
Ha-v-v
Squat_Johnson
Luci Dawson
EatYourVeggies
Lovesdirt
plantoid
littlejo
Furbalsmom
squaredeal
ksbmom
quiltbea
sceleste54
ModernDayBetty
mijejo
newstart
dixie
sfg4uKim
25 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 Empty Re: Organizing your SEED PACKETS

Post  Luci Dawson 1/25/2012, 3:05 pm

Lovesdirt wrote:Great ideas everyone. I have also been gathering ideas about how to organize seeds. I pinned this idea http://chiotsrun.com/2010/02/26/organizing-the-seed-stash/ to my Pinterest gardening board. I like the idea overall, but I think I would add a little more information to the back of each folder. Kelly

Clever idea...but instead of paper clipping the info to the folder, I'd use self-adhesive labels bcz paper clips are notorious for grabbing onto something else when you're putting them back into place.

Found this nifty ide for organizing seed by when you need them. I think I'd make the slots deeper or wider (so the month labels aren't covered up) and put a lid on the box (so you could store them in the frig or other cool place) with a couple of dessicant pkts. Would sure help with filing the Spring seeds for later Fall sowing, too, don't you think?

Last edited by Luci Dawson on 1/25/2012, 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added or wider)
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Female Posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 1/25/2012, 3:36 pm

I keep seeds in a gallon ziplock in the fridge veggie crisper. They are wrapped in bundles with rubber bands. One for lettuces, one for radishes, one for flowers, one for broccoli/cabbages/cauli/etc, one for late summer etc.

I rotate some seed packs into a temp baggie that goes with me to the garden every day. I try to plant _something_ every time I am at the garden - usually radishes or lettuce.

I have a printed grid/plan that I take with me, but it is only an outline.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  ksbmom 1/25/2012, 5:30 pm

Luci, I LOVE the DIY seed storage box! That would be just what I would use, and it looks easy enough that I could actually put it together. Thanks for sharing!
ksbmom
ksbmom

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 1/27/2012, 9:01 am

I get links every so often and found this one to be perfect for this thread. It is a seed organizer this gal found. It is for photos she just re purposed it.

http://www.throwbackroad.com/2012/01/seed-organizing-and-garden-dreams.html
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 1/27/2012, 10:06 am

Ha-v-v wrote:I get links every so often and found this one to be perfect for this thread. It is a seed organizer this gal found. It is for photos she just re purposed it.

[url=http://www.throwbackroad.com/2012/01/seed-organizing-and-garden-dreams.html
http://www.throwbackroad.com/2012/01/seed-organizing-and-garden-dreams.html[/quote[/url]]

That's a great set up! Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 53366

Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/27/2012, 10:54 am

I followed the link to throwbackroad.com and I have a question to anybody who has actually purchased one of these storage cases.

The person who bought this box from costco said, "the only thing was to make sure that no moisture got in while being stored in plastic." This is what I am worried about. Has anyone actually used this box and would moisture be able to get inside the box.

Also, someone replying to the throwbackroad.com reference stated that she found a similar box at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Photo-Keeper-Cases-Iris/dp/B001MY9Z7M

But someone reviewing this product stated that "the small photo cases that the photo keeper comes with don't close very tightly".

I am worried about moisture. Has anyone actually used one of these two products.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 1/27/2012, 1:46 pm

WOWWIE WOW WOW Ha-v-v!

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 1/27/2012, 2:02 pm

yolos wrote:I followed the link to throwbackroad.com and I have a question to anybody who has actually purchased one of these storage cases.

The person who bought this box from costco said, "the only thing was to make sure that no moisture got in while being stored in plastic." This is what I am worried about. Has anyone actually used this box and would moisture be able to get inside the box.

Also, someone replying to the throwbackroad.com reference stated that she found a similar box at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Double-Photo-Keeper-Cases-Iris/dp/B001MY9Z7M

But someone reviewing this product stated that "the small photo cases that the photo keeper comes with don't close very tightly".

I am worried about moisture. Has anyone actually used one of these two products.

I have not used these boxes, I was offering a link to an idea Smile I am still using a jar Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 1/27/2012, 3:49 pm

Or this one, also at Amazon. I like the handle, the flatness of the box and that the "photos" are in more like an envelop than a snap shut case so I think a desiccant would work in this situation.

BTW the "photo protector envelopes" are sold separately so you could put them in the box of your choice. I also like that the tops of the "envelopes" are flat and can be written on.

Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 41bjfg10

Cropper Hopper Photo Case

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 1/27/2012, 7:20 pm

Ha-v-v wrote:I get links every so often and found this one to be perfect for this thread. It is a seed organizer this gal found. It is for photos she just re purposed it.

Very clever, indeed. I think I may have something similar lurking around the house somewhere!
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Female Posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 2/3/2012, 5:47 pm

I saw that our Meijer had the plastic photo box storage "system" for $10. It includes the main box and 6 individual 4 x 6 boxes. I got it and can't wait to organize my seeds! They also had lots of the individual boxes for $2.00 - had to buy one (and maybe more) for my sewing stuff.
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  LaborDay RN 2/3/2012, 8:37 pm

Hav-v-v, Thanks for posting the throwback road link. Very interesting blog. thanks
LaborDay RN
LaborDay RN

Female Posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 2/3/2012, 9:24 pm

LaborDay RN wrote:Hav-v-v, Thanks for posting the throwback road link. Very interesting blog. thanks

I thought it was a nice site too Smile you are welcome Smile
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 2/17/2012, 9:23 pm

What great ideas!

I love the first post - by making a card/label that is uniform, you know exactly where to look for your details. Then by putting it to the back, you're all set for succession planting.

Oh, and the powdered milk drying system...FABULOUS! I bet instant potatoes or rice flour would work too. I was just pondering how soften a number of harden cans of powdered supplements. It's not humid here, so I don't know why they became solid masses!

I have mine organized in Excel, so I can sort it by name, by size of plant (W or H), planting months, or any other column. I'm just starting with seeds and it helps me see my data.

Physically, the packets are alphabetical by veggie/herb/flower in a freezer zip lock bag.

For now...

What do y'all do with your packets after you opened them? How do you keep them from spilling? Use separate zipping snack bags?

(and it cracks me up how the same plant in two seed years from different manufacturers give different planting times for my area!)
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 2/17/2012, 10:07 pm

AvaDGardner wrote:
What do y'all do with your packets after you opened them? How do you keep them from spilling? Use separate zipping snack bags?

I'm fortunate that my seed packets have "tacky glue" and are reclosable.

You can always use Repositionable Glue Sticks:

Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 99052510

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 2/17/2012, 10:14 pm

sfg4uKim wrote:I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand
resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because
that's how I read the seed catalogs in January.

I love this quote. It's what I do with rose catalogs. I keep old ones and drool over them, too! If what looks like a perfect addition didn't return the next year, I know there were problems and they pulled it, but the photo is so luscious to dream over!

BTS...where do you get resealable packets? Is that a particular brand? I'm so new to veggies I'm a seed catalog virgin!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 2/17/2012, 11:55 pm

sfg4uKim wrote:
AvaDGardner wrote:

I'm fortunate that my seed packets have "tacky glue" and are reclosable.

You can always use Repositionable Glue Sticks:

Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 99052510

I have tried to keep the tops turned down,but. glue sticks, duh! Thanks Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicola 6/2/2012, 10:47 pm

mijejo wrote:Since I plan to start all indoor plantings via the baggie method, those types get a sandwich baggie and the sprouting medium inserted in the zip-lock bag. If they are to be sown outside, they get the seed tape (paper towel) inserted."
What is the "baggie method"? Do you start your seeds in baggies, rather than pots; or are you using that phrase to refer to your method of planning and storage?
[Sorry I've written this so long after your post. I was led here after I started a thread asking about a way of "filing" seeds (storing them as if in a file cabinet)]
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 6/3/2012, 8:07 am

I refer to the "baggie method" as the method gardeners often use to test the germination rate of seeds. The method involves using a damp medium (such as a paper towel), seeds, a plastic bag, and a warm location (top of fridge). Enclosing the seeds in the damp medium and checking after "X" number of days, the gardener will learn the viability of the seeds. If 10 seeds were used and 5 sprouted, the viability is 50%.

Instead of using this method as a test, I used it to germinate the seeds I wanted for transplants to the garden. Once seeds sprouted, I carefully planted them in a seedling growing mix and placed them under lights. Depending on the plant, they may have additional up-potting until they were ready for the garden.

This was my first year doing this method. Like all of my gardening experiments - there are successes and failures. Some plants did very well, and others did not. However, I can blame a number of variables which contributed to the failures. I will try this again next year. In particular, I had great success with the cold weather type crops. So much so, that they were ready for the cold frame in February, and my family enjoyed a small harvest in early March of the lettuces and other leafy greens.
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  malefacter 6/3/2012, 12:08 pm

imo this thread should be stikied Razz
malefacter
malefacter

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/3/2012, 1:35 pm

I leave the seeds in the original packets, fold the top and put them in jars paper clipped together with all their buddies and a label. I can fold the bunch in half before inserting them into the jar so the label shows thru the jar, and I can fit 2 or 3 groups of buddies in each jar. I also add one or two of those moisture packets that comes in vitamins and such. (I get my moisture packets from Traders Joes seaweed snacks - YUM!Smile
Organizing your SEED PACKETS - Page 2 100_0011

Then I line them up in the back of the fridge, bottom shelf. I use to put all the jars in a plastic lettuce clam pack before putting them in the fridge but that takes up too much valuable fridge space. Lining them across the back is almost unnoticeable.

Then when I need something, I just turn the jar to find the buddy group I want to work. I like that they are with their buddies coz while sifting thru a group I sometimes find others I haven't planted in a while and could do so again. I love you

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 6/7/2012, 3:23 am

Yes, this should be stickied!

I just separated my seeds and put the "cool weather" ones in a sealed ziplock and in the fridge. The warm weather ones are in a different ziplock, but in my gardening bag.

It was an interesting exerciese...some onions are warm and some are cool. Same with herbs.

I had no idea.

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 6/7/2012, 6:41 am

Last year I put all my seeds in mason jars an kept them in the fridge on the bottom shelve and it worked OK.

This year I got a lot more diffent types of seeds and was looking for a better way to find seed packets in the future. I went to an office supply store and they were practically giving away these cd boxes. Opened one up and they had 50 individual containers, like hanging files, to put you cd's in.

Natually I bought one and the seed packets fit in them very nicely. I organised mine in alphebetical order but may consider getting a few more boxes for planting by seasons..............
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2