Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! Toplef10I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! I22gcj10I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! Toplef10I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! I22gcj10I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 12:08 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 12:02 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 11:55 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!!

+31
boffer
herbarium
HawaiiAl
LaFee
silverbug
Chopper
Little Thumb
ralitaco
Crystalheart
cliftyman
sceleste54
quiltbea
donnainzone5
ander217
martha
mckr3441
argardener
SirTravers
bpbdrummer
Miss Mousie
timwardell
Bec
SFG in Chicago
swripley
nancy
castoral
Wild Bill
Mikesgardn
chocolatepop
nidiyao
jenny-h
35 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! Empty I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!!

Post  jenny-h 3/31/2010, 11:39 am

I live in 5b (I think). I have my vermiculite, my peat, and my boxes all built, but for the life of me, I CANNOT find 5 different types of compost. I have mushroom, manure, and an organic mix of stuff. That's all I can find anywhere and I've looked at 10 different places. I think I've spent more in gas looking for this stuff than I have in getting everything else. I'm so frustrated right now that I don't know what to do. What makes it worse is that everytime I go some place I have to take my 5-year-old with me so it's a constant question about when are we going home.... HELP!!! I'm losing my sanity over a garden of all things!!!!! I have a bunch of plants that I need to get planted, but can't because I have no dirt to put them in. I'm getting behind on my garden and then I'll have nothing to show for the money I've spent and the time I've put into it so far. Sorry for the rant, but I need help. I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! Affraid
jenny-h
jenny-h

Back to top Go down

I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! Empty Re: I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!!

Post  nidiyao 3/31/2010, 11:41 am

I personally would just move forward with what you have and as soon as you have compost you've made, add it! Maybe others with more experience have other ideas?

Sandy
nidiyao
nidiyao

Female Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 3/31/2010, 11:42 am

haa haa, not laugghing at YOU, but more at my daughter doing the same thing. What i did was just buy different brands from different places. Like Home Depot and Lowes both carry composted manure, but from different brands, so i count those as two, then walmart has a different one than menards (IDK if you have one there) and meijer (same thing). Probably not what I'm supposed to do, but it works.

Also, contact your city dump. i know where my mom and dad live they actually sell the compost from the yard waste you turn in, it is like $20 a truck bed load. Some will even deliver. Or try a farm?
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 3/31/2010, 11:46 am

Five types of compost may be the ideal, but I made my first mix with just one type of store-bought compost. It worked fine. You can always add fertilizer during the growing season if needed. That's what I did.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  jenny-h 3/31/2010, 12:02 pm

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm tired and it's spring break for my daughter, but not my husband and I've got spring fever something horrid! I will try the 5 different companies of compost and hope that takes care of it. I've tried Tractor Supply, Meijer, Menards, Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, Kroger, 2 local nurseries, and a local farm and they either don't carry any or they have the same kind as everyone else. I'm just tired of waiting to plant. My sprouts are doing great inside and I'm ready to take them out.
jenny-h
jenny-h

Back to top Go down

Post  nidiyao 3/31/2010, 12:08 pm

Hey Jenny, where are you?
nidiyao
nidiyao

Female Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  jenny-h 3/31/2010, 12:19 pm

Near Dayton, Ohio. So, I have lots of stores to choose from, but they haven't gotten all of their things in yet, I guess.
jenny-h
jenny-h

Back to top Go down

Post  Wild Bill 3/31/2010, 12:22 pm

Jenny,

I was trying to find some chicken manure to put in mine, but couldn't find any. So I decided to use one large bag of Miracle Grow's organic mix. It has some chicken manure in it, plus composted pine bark and some peat.

I was also able to find some organic humus (sp?) from ACE Hardware of all places...

But I like what chocolatepop mentioned.. if you can't find different TYPES of compost, then just use different brands to get you there. I think the mushroom compost is some great stuff... so is the Black Kow brand for cow/steer manure.

My mix consisted of:

1.5 cu feet Miracle Grow Organic Mix
2 cu feet of Mushroom Compost (Lowes)
1.5 cu feet Black Kow compost
1 cu feet Pine bark compost
1 cu feet Organic Humus
1 cu feet Organic Compost (Vegetable and plants composted)

Then I added my 8 cu feet of coarse vermiculite, and 7-8 cu feet of Peat moss. Mixed it all at once with a shovel and it about killed me. lol I'll try and mix smaller amounts next time. lol

Billy
Wild Bill

Back to top Go down

Post  castoral 3/31/2010, 12:40 pm

I'm actually in Dayton as well....south of town in Centerville. I've been having a lot of trouble finding compost as well. My first suggestion....CALL BEFORE DRIVING! I have a 2 yr old and a 10 mo old and my husband ownes a landscape company (so needless to say, can't help me with the kids right now), so I call everywhere to make sure it's not going to be a wasted trip.

Last night I managed to get two kinds of compost at Ace Hardware (the one on Clyo Rd in Centerville). The brand is called GreenThumb. They have mushroom compost and cow manure, so I got 4 bags of each at $3.99 a bag. Then we were lucky that we had about 4 cu ft of our own compost...which I put all kinds of stuff in, but mostly grass clippings and leaves. Then the other two "kinds" I was going to use is the Meijer in West Carollton I found organic hummus compost, or something like that (far back corner). They also carried another kind of cow manuer I believe. But I was going to try the Miracle Grow mix. It said it had chicken manue in it, among other things, so I thought it would be good.

We are already on the search for fresh chicken manuer to mix in our compost for next year though. Horse manuer is pretty easy to come by around our house. (SugarCreek Reserve has stables you can get it at for free usually). Hopefully next year my compost will be good enough that I won't have to worry about this.
castoral

Female Posts : 34

http://livinglargeonadime.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 3/31/2010, 12:49 pm

Jenny - I just got 2 more bags of mushroom compost last night at Ace Hardware in Cincinnati. It was more expensive than what castoral paid (mine was $7.49 a bag), but it's really good stuff. And I figure different cow composts come from different cows that eat different things, so I counted it as different kinds.
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

Post  castoral 3/31/2010, 1:01 pm

Should have mentioned, mine was $3.99 for a 40 lbs bag.
castoral

Female Posts : 34

http://livinglargeonadime.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  swripley 3/31/2010, 1:07 pm

I have nothing add regarding compost sources that hasn't already been mentioned (great advice all). I just wanted to say "Hang in there Jenny-H!" If I was anywhere near Ohio I would offer to babysit.
swripley
swripley

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 3/31/2010, 1:42 pm

Hi Jenny,
I'm in Northern Illinois (near Chicago) and I had the same trouble finding a variety of compost. Mushroom compost and humus and some manure is all I found. I think the problem is the garden centers here haven't really gotten started yet. Kind of exasperating because how are you supposed to get your beds ready ahead of time if they don't start stocking this stuff until it's time to plant! This is all new for me because I lived in South Florida my whole life where supplies are available year round & the garden centers never close! I say go with what you can find, it'll be ok.

Last edited by SFG in Chicago on 3/31/2010, 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! Empty I'm ready to give up!

Post  Bec 3/31/2010, 1:52 pm

Won't we ALL be glad when Mel's Mix is in the stores!!!! I can hardly wait!
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 3/31/2010, 2:41 pm

Hang in there. IMHO it would be better to make your mix with the 3 types of compost that you have and get your plants in the ground. Then if/when you find some other types of compost in the future you can just add a handful to this square, a little to that square, etc. Over the summer you will have added the additional nutrients from the various compost without all the stress. Yes, Mel recommends 5 types of compost, but he also says, "We aren't baking a cake" meaning that strict adherence to the recipe is not required and being a bit off on the ingredients is okay.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Mousie 3/31/2010, 2:56 pm

I had trouble finding different kinds of compost too. I was able to find chicken manure and steer manure at Lowe's but no mushroom compost or anything exotic I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! Icon_eek like that. I ended up getting two kinds of mixed compost in addition to the chicken and steer manure. I also only found medium coarse vermiculite so I'm pretty much going with that in addition to the peat that I picked up. I might try the feed store in town and the nursery in the next town over for another compost but that will be it, I'm going for it.

Good Luck with your garden, I'm sure it will be fine.
Miss Mousie
Miss Mousie

Female Posts : 89
Location : Sierra Nevada Foothills, California | Sunset Zone 7

Back to top Go down

Post  jenny-h 3/31/2010, 3:01 pm

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I apologize for my "drama queening" at the beginning. I was tired of running around. And I usually call before I go places, but I've had to be out for other things too, so I thought I'd stop at these places to see what they had. I just kind of hit a wall earlier this morning. After all the great suggestions, I'm feeling much more relaxed and excited again! I'm going to get my mix done tonight whether I have 5 composts or not. I still need to get a couple more feet to finish up my boxes, bu soon I'll be planting away and playing in the dirt again! Yippee!! I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! Icon_sunny

I did call my local dump and they do make their own compost from lawn and garden clippings that people bring there. I may get some of that once they open for the season, so I'm going to take all of your wonderful ideas, pull myself up out of my pity party and have fun again. I'm so glad to have found this group! Thanks again!
jenny-h
jenny-h

Back to top Go down

Post  swripley 3/31/2010, 3:11 pm

You go girl!
swripley
swripley

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  bpbdrummer 3/31/2010, 3:25 pm

dont sweat it, I used 2 different manure composts and mushroom compost, the plants are just fine and as long as they have good, well drained soil they really dont care if you mix one or twenty different composts.
bpbdrummer

Male Posts : 88

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Back to top Go down

I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! Empty don't give up!!!

Post  SirTravers 3/31/2010, 3:30 pm

Don't worry about mushroom compost if you can't find it. I got a bag of composted cottonseed hulls at my local garden center. I've got a friend with horses so I'm using composted horse manure a little bit...check with any local stables. I'm sure they'd give you all the manure you'd take off their hands. Also check with your local Freecycle group
I'm sure if you put a wanted message on your local freecycle group someone will have some compost or materials for you to compost yourself.

Last edited by SirTravers on 3/31/2010, 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : color)
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! Empty Hang in there!

Post  argardener 3/31/2010, 9:25 pm

I too have spring fever terrribly. I'm in zone 7 and can only find manure compost, so I just bought some from different stores. I have a neighbor with chickens & goats and 2 neighbors with horses, think I'll pay them a visit. I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! Icon_cat
argardener

Female Posts : 63

Back to top Go down

Post  mckr3441 4/6/2010, 10:36 am

Hi Jenny, How's it going? We're eager to get the next chapter. Are your boxes filed with soil yet? Have you put any plants out? Or seeds?

I'm thinking of you. I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! 61949
mckr3441
mckr3441

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 765

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 4/6/2010, 11:21 am

Hmmm, I thought I had replied earlier this morning, but it disappeared.

In my opinion, if you are so frustrated that you are feeling like giving up, this is the first and best place for you to come. Misery won't last long in this company!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

I'm ready to give up!!!!!!!!! Empty using horse manure

Post  ander217 4/6/2010, 4:30 pm

SirTravers wrote: I've got a friend with horses so I'm using composted horse manure a little bit...check with any local stables. I'm sure they'd give you all the manure you'd take off their hands.

A few years ago we spread horse manure on our garden from a neighbor's barn. He told us it was composted. We learned too late it had not been properly composted. We introduced pigweeds and other weeds all over the garden, and someone later told us that the manure contained dewormer and fly control products which could contaminate our garden. We also learned that we should have worn gloves at all times when working with the uncomposted manure because there is a very slight risk that tetanus can be transferred from manure to an open cut.

The moral of the story is, - have better sense than we did. Do your own composting if you pick up local manure. Our neighbor thought because the manure had been piled up in his pasture for a few months it was completely composted, but it would have taken much longer for it to break down properly. Also check with the stable and see what types of chemicals and medications may have been used on the horses, and whether composting breaks them down into harmless compounds.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 4/7/2010, 10:34 am

I read somewhere that gardeners should have tetanus shots about every five years, rather than 10. I follow this advice.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next