Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 Toplef10Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 I22gcj10Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 Toplef10Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 I22gcj10Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch

+16
Roseinarosecity
LeeAnne12
littlejo
WolfHeart
Squat_Johnson
staf74
camprn
Rhianna78
nancy
llama momma
NorthWoodsFever
Goosegirl
Chopper
RoOsTeR
BackyardBirdGardner
Josh
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 Empty Re: Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch

Post  LeeAnne12 4/13/2012, 11:04 am

Jo, I have a bright orange feeder that has a cup in it that I put it in. The bright orange attracts them, then they find the grape jelly. I got the feeder at Wildbirds Unlimited. To get natural photos of them, I have several dead logs nailed to sawhorses and old tree branches that they will land on before they go to the feeder. I get in a hide and sit with my camera. :-)

Lee Anne
LeeAnne12
LeeAnne12

Female Posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 Empty Re: Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch

Post  Roseinarosecity 4/13/2012, 12:55 pm

Two weeks ago I spotted a very bright yellow bird with black wings here in Southern California. I spoke to a bird watcher and he said it was a Hooded Oriole. Since then, I have seen it one more time. I would love to see it more often. Although it was on my neighbor's Silver Maple tree, I am wondering if it was looking for my hummingbird feeder which I had removed to clean it. Except I can't imagine it approaching the hummingbird feeder because how would it hang on? I am growing sunflowers but I'm afraid the squirrels will eventually get those. I would like to know how to set up the sunflower course hearts for the birds.
Roseinarosecity

Female Posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 4/13/2012, 2:16 pm

Roseinarosecity wrote:Two weeks ago I spotted a very bright yellow bird with black wings here in Southern California. I spoke to a bird watcher and he said it was a Hooded Oriole. Since then, I have seen it one more time. I would love to see it more often. Although it was on my neighbor's Silver Maple tree, I am wondering if it was looking for my hummingbird feeder which I had removed to clean it. Except I can't imagine it approaching the hummingbird feeder because how would it hang on? I am growing sunflowers but I'm afraid the squirrels will eventually get those. I would like to know how to set up the sunflower course hearts for the birds.

Orioles eat from our hummingbird feeders every summer. They hang on the feeders. My daughter gets the orange oriole feeding stuff for one of the feeders but they eat from both.

We haven't seen any orioles yet this year. We have seen a yellow headed blackbird like those in this picture from a couple of years ago.

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 Yellow10
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/14/2012, 7:24 am

I bought a big boston fern and hung it just outside my front door. A week later I went away for 2 weeks. (neighbor was watering) Came back to a house finch nesting in my fern, so have to be very careful watering and, unfortunately, momma bird flys off everytime I go in and out of the door.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  LeeAnne12 4/14/2012, 9:43 am

I would like to know how to set up the sunflower course hearts for the birds.

I buy it from the bird store. It's just the shelled sunflower seed. It makes less mess and the birds not able to take the shell off will eat it, especially over winter when there aren't many bugs to snack on. :-)

Lee Anne
LeeAnne12
LeeAnne12

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 4/14/2012, 12:49 pm

Last year the wife saw a couple of orioles so I took an old small plastic planter from a long since dead African violet came In bought a small bottle of bright orange paint from michael's. An fill'ed with grape jelly. The easiest thing was jus cutting an orange in half an wiring to the sheppards hook.
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 4/15/2012, 8:46 pm

LeeAnne12 wrote:The next few weeks are exciting times for the bird photographer, because there are a lot of migrants coming through. Josh, you may know this, but if you put grape jelly out, you might get some Baltimore Orioles coming into your feeders...if they come through your neck of the woods. They LOVE it! Happy birding!!!

Lee Anne
I've not seen the Baltimore Orioles before so I'm putting the grape jelly out and keeping an eye out. We have had more birds this year at the feeders than before...or maybe I've just been paying more attention. I've been reading all the post and really find the info interesting!

For the past 4 years each spring I attend bird classes from a lady who is a member of the Bluebird Society, and one year we made bluebird houses. She said to always have at least 2 houses, because the male picks the nesting place, and then she looks it over and decides if it's ok, if she doesn't like it he has to go look for another one, so if you don't have another one close by for him to choose, he will leave to go find a nesting place somewhere else. Ours are pretty close by about 15 feet away form the house, we have 3 in a row 10 feet apart, the bluebirds always pick the one in the middle.

The bird watch count is over now, but I'm going to keep watching them.
Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 Birdcount
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LeeAnne12 4/29/2012, 12:03 am

Josh, the Baltimore Orioles have just arrived in TN, so you should be watching since you're in the zone above me. It won't be long before they get to you. Be sure and put the grape jelly in something BRiGHT orange. The orange color attracts them. LMK if you see any. :-)

Lee Anne
LeeAnne12
LeeAnne12

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/29/2012, 12:11 am

walshevak wrote:I bought a big boston fern and hung it just outside my front door. A week later I went away for 2 weeks. (neighbor was watering) Came back to a house finch nesting in my fern, so have to be very careful watering and, unfortunately, momma bird flys off everytime I go in and out of the door.

Kay

All 5 eggs hatched. Posted pic in senseless banter.

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 4/30/2012, 7:41 pm

LeeAnne12 wrote:Josh, the Baltimore Orioles have just arrived in TN, so you should be watching since you're in the zone above me. It won't be long before they get to you. Be sure and put the grape jelly in something BRiGHT orange. The orange color attracts them. LMK if you see any. :-)

Lee Anne

Thanks Lee Anne! I'm watching for them Shocked
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 5/1/2012, 2:42 am

Saw this before I left for work today red breasted grosebeak

[url=Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 E4db2ced
boog1
boog1

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 5/14/2012, 9:38 pm

Wifee swears she seen an ingigo bunting taday along with a couple of eastern bluebirds. I caught sight of the bluebirds Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 3170584802 She ran
To the store an bought Nigel seed and mealie worms for them.
boog1
boog1

Back to top Go down

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 Empty For the past two weeks

Post  hruten 5/15/2012, 6:09 am

My husband and I love watching the birds so far this year we have....

The norms: tufted titmouse, junco, nuthatches, black capped chickadee (two pairs in nest boxes), morning doves, and the hates house sparrow AUGH!!!!affraid

Others: a bluejay, red winged blackbird, red breasted grossbeak, evening grossbeak, female baltimore oriole, yellow and purple finches, a kingbird, hairy and downy woodpeckers.

I can't wait for the hummers to arrive!!
hruten
hruten

Female Posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/15/2012, 6:42 am

Hruten, the humming birds are here, I got buzzed by one on Sunday. Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Josh's Project Bird Feeder Watch - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  hruten 5/15/2012, 7:01 am

I'll have to get my feeder out then. Guess I'll be buying a hanging basket and tying ribbon as my flowers are not blooming yet.
hruten
hruten

Female Posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/15/2012, 8:20 am

Your basic flat/rounded syrup feeder has a red top and the hummers find it every year without any flowers or extras to attract them. Believe it's made by Perky Pet. Hummers can return annually to the same feeder along with other scout hummers heading north. Quite the amazing gps ability. Hummingbird.net is a fabulous resource for info.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3