Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden Toplef10Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden I22gcj10Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden Toplef10Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden I22gcj10Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden

5 posters

Go down

Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden Empty Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden

Post  FarmerTuley 11/17/2011, 4:17 pm

Howdy from Deep South Texas!

I am a farmer for a charter school called IDEA and I am just re-starting their garden. I have 10,240 sq. feet of planting land and am in the process of converting it all to raised beds. I do have some rows as of now because I needed to get some produce going. (I supply the cafeteria with lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, and anything else they want to use in their daily cooking.

I have a question about that large of a scale garden. I calculated the amount of vermiculite needed and at 8 cu ft/100 sq feet it ran somewhere around 5k at an estimated 6.00 a cu ft. My soil is quite the clay pool and hardpan bottom and so I know amendments are needed badly. Even at 4 cu ft/100 square feet it runs 2.5k.

I want to incorporate the SQF method into my garden as much as possible because I am able to have more data (yields, water usage, amendment requirements, etc.), but I fear that the cost to do it Mel's way is prohibitively expensive.

I would love to hear some ideas about ways to incorporate SQF into my garden more and more. And as a preview here are some images of what I have done in the past month.

Day 1
Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden Img_0312

After a month
Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden Img_0410

Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden Img_0411
FarmerTuley

Back to top Go down

Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden Empty Re: Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden

Post  janezee 11/17/2011, 7:59 pm

Wow!!!!
Did you work night and day? I'm impressed.
As Mel says, 1/5th the space means lots less money, water, and amendments needed, I found it expensive to set up, but I'm not spending any more money for years. I think they call that amortization. Wink

Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden 396615 Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden 396615 Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden 396615 Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden 396615 Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden 396615

Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden 523562
j
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden Empty Re: Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden

Post  boffer 11/17/2011, 8:33 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Pretty ambitious undertaking! Here's what I would do. In foreign countries where vermiculite is unheard of or prohibitively expensive, Mel suggests growing in a 5 way compost mix. The same 5 different types of compost that you would use in your Mel's Mix. With a little creativity and hustle, you might be able to round up all the compostables you need for years to come for free. Some schools with smaller SFG gardens get the kids involved with the composting processes.

I would start a half dozen boxes with MM to learn about it. I would plant things like greens, carrots, radishes ie the smaller stuff that gets planted close together.

Be sure to read the ALL NEW SFG book. There's a lot of info that you won't find on the web site or this forum.

Good luck in your endeavor.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 11/30/2011, 10:11 am

Wow! How very awesome! I'm in McAllen and have had a lot of success with adding double the amount of compost, so I would definitely focus on getting as much compost in there as you can. I hope you keep us updated on your success. I'd love to come over and see your setup one of these days.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerTuley 11/30/2011, 11:29 am

The previous farmer used a lot of cow manure. The farm had been resting for around 9 months or so, though I was finding basil and parsley plants still pretty active. As for the compost, I used the McAllen Composting Facilities premium compost for another community garden I started at North Mission Church of Christ. I was disappointed because I a.) either got the junk compost instead or b.) mcallen's premium compost still has wires, toys, and various other non-compostable pieces in it.

I have started my own composting in the back with a three slot system I learned from Brett Markham (Mini Farming on 1/4 acre). I won't have enough to cover the whole area so I am looking at buying in bulk somewhere else than McAllen.

I would like to turn it all into raised beds but just checked out prices and I'm looking at a couple grand just in wood, not to mention screws, compost, vermiculite, and peat moss. Also, I priced out the drip irrigation system and realize I need to start working on grants to get any of this done. But as for production, raised beds beat rows hands down in terms of weeding, fertilizing, etc. SQF beats raised beds by adding more control to the bed (i.e. soil construction and accurate yields)

And if you would like to come take a look and help out one day or something feel free to contact me at the school email. I would love to have the help!

justin.tuley@ideapublicschools.org
FarmerTuley

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 11/30/2011, 1:29 pm

That's a bummer that you had all that junk in the compost. I've being buying that same stuff for the past couple of years and have found a couple of the strips you peel off the milk jugs to open them (kwim?) but that's it, and only a couple. I add in a few other types as I can afford it, but use the city stuff for the bulk of my compost and stuff does grow well in it.

It would be great fun to come out and help one of these days! It'll be after the holidays before I'd be able to, but I'll look forward to it! There's only so much I can do in my little backyard and with SFG being so easy, sometimes I run out of things to do...ok, not really Wink I have 3 kids 5 and under, so always plenty to do! But I'll leave them at home with Daddy when I come out there!
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Lower Rio Grande Valley School Farm/Garden Empty American Heart Association School Gardens

Post  carolann.hennen 11/30/2011, 1:30 pm

The American Heart Association has a school garden program. Look them up on the web and get in touch. They are wonderful at helping school gardens with funding, raised beds, supplies, etc.
carolann.hennen
carolann.hennen

Female Posts : 1

http://www.naturalyards.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerTuley 12/1/2011, 10:41 am

\
by carolann.hennen on 11/30/2011, 12:30 pmThe
American Heart Association has a school garden program. Look them up
on the web and get in touch. They are wonderful at helping school
gardens with funding, raised beds, supplies, etc.

That sounds awesome! I will check it out soon.

And Elliephant, just let me know when you want to come out and perhaps we can get a group to do it so a lot can get done in a day.

-Back to the Farm
FarmerTuley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down