Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery Toplef10Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery I22gcj10Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery Toplef10Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery I22gcj10Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery

+20
RoOsTeR
Ha-v-v
southern gardener
SFGHQSTAFF
plantoid
Unmutual
martha
walshevak
squaredeal
llama momma
ModernDayBetty
camprn
Luci Dawson
boffer
janezee
littlejo
sherryeo
BackyardBirdGardner
staf74
middlemamma
24 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What should the foundation do?

Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery I_vote_lcap85%Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery I_vote_rcap 85% 
[ 35 ]
Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery I_vote_lcap15%Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery I_vote_rcap 15% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 41

Poll closed

Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery Empty Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery

Post  middlemamma 11/3/2011, 10:31 pm

As many of you know we have a gallery for members photos. Often these photos are used by the foundation to promote SFG in many different ways.

The foundation is a not-for-profit organization that goes around the world to under developed countries and helps to teach people how to SFG and feed themselves.

The forum is a cost to the foundation in that each time we exceed the allotted disk space with pictures, the foundation must put money into the website to buy more disk space. The foundation also pays to keep the forum ad free.

The foundation has asked me to come up with a solution to alleviate the financial burden this is on the foundation. They have asked that we decide between to things.

The options will be to not have gallery photos, so that we can upload photos to posts and such without worry, or to ask the membership to make donations to keep the forum running. The latter would be a place on the forum home page you would go into and make a donation.

So I am asking you all to vote and decide which you would rather do. If we choose to do away with the gallery then you as members will have the option of emailing your gallery photos to Alan at the foundation to continue to allow them to be used in promoting SFG.

I will leave this poll open until November 15th or so and then will announce the verdict.

Thank you in advance for your time to read this and weigh in!

Jennie
Forum Admin
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery Empty Re: Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery

Post  staf74 11/3/2011, 10:45 pm

I voted to delete the gallery BUT really only if we could somehow archive all those gr8 pics onto perhaps a "flickr" account or some other FREE web picture hosting site. I guess they all have limits too though. I don't know if that is feasible but just my two cents. I would personally donate also but worry about the can of worms that might open once the forum relies on donations to stay afloat.
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery Empty Re: Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 11/3/2011, 11:27 pm

darn if it isn't ALWAYS about money. The "real world" sucks. I miss college. Cool
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 11/3/2011, 11:28 pm

Do I understand correctly that we could still post photos straight from our own computers to our posts even if we do delete the gallery? If so, I vote to delete the gallery.

I think most of us would probably be flattered if our gardens were so impressive that the Foundation would want to use them to promote sfg. I think most folks would give their approval if asked to allow use of the photos we would put in our posts instead of in the gallery. Would that work for the foundation?
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 11/4/2011, 1:12 am

Well, how much money we talking about? I don't mind helping out if it goes just to keep the forum going.

What I forsee in the future, if we don't have the gallery, is that we love photos, and we will see more photos in the posts, because we must see everyone's garden, veggies and all their bugs, etc.

It uses the same amount of room to store a picture, whether in the posts or in a gallery.
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 11/4/2011, 10:23 am

sherryeo wrote:Do I understand correctly that we could still post photos straight from our own computers to our posts even if we do delete the gallery? If so, I vote to delete the gallery.

I agree. This point needs clarification before a vote, please.
I just looked at the gallery, and only saw 103 public pictures. Am I missing something?
j
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/4/2011, 10:39 am

For clarification: We can post a bazillion pics in our posts, and it is free to do so.

If we put pics in either the public or personal galleries, we have to pay for storage space above 20MB. That is not much space in our circumstance.

Janezee>> Below the green rectangle and on the left side, in the brown, is a link to your personal gallery, and a link to everyone elses personal gallery.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 11/4/2011, 1:56 pm

I hope it's ok to make this post, but I just wanted to let anybody who might want to make a completely voluntary donation to the SFG Foundation know that you can do that on their website. Click on the "Website" link in the green banner, above.

I, for one, think their goal to try to help alleviate hunger around the world by teaching people to be more self-sufficient with sfgs is an honorable goal and one certainly worth supporting - especially since they let us have this cool forum, too!!! Very Happy
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 11/4/2011, 2:44 pm

Flickr allows free accounts up to a couple hundred pictures. After that, it's "one in one out" sort of. However, you can buy a "pro" account for what amounts to $26/yr. Not a huge expense if you take tons of pictures like me.

There are several other free "image hosting" sites around the web, too. ImageShack comes to mind.

As long as you keep your accounts current, the pictures you post here will not disappear in your threads.

How does this help the SFG site? Anything hosted somewhere else and "copy/pasted" here is of no expense......space issue.....for this site. If you upload your pics directly here and allow SFG to host them, it takes space from their servers. So, if you are into protecting the forum, you would naturally opt to host your pictures somewhere else and take the extra step to copy them over here.

I'm sorry this sounds complicated. It's really not too bad.

I have a Flickr account already, so it's no skin off my back and allows me to keep all my images in one place online. To each his/her own, though.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 11/4/2011, 5:00 pm

I voted to delete the gallery, but asking for donations for such a worthwhile organization that not only "feeds" us with this totally free forum but has as its goal to feed the world is certainly an option that I intend to take.

That being said, I have a way to download any picture in the gallery so that we could have a "gallery" section as another forum topic to which I would then upload individual pictures with the original gallery owner's name just like we do with our posts. It would, of course, require those who have either a personal or public gallery to give their permission for me to do that.

That would solve the hassle of using another uploading source like Flickr or equivalent, or using a paid service which may not be affordable to some of our members. And the Foundation could still have the images available for using however they wish to do so.

There would be no charge to either the Foundation or to individual members because I would do this as my community service to thank everyone from whom I learn so much each time I log on!

Let me know if you want me to do that and I will personally contact each member via PM to secure their permission and begin the process...if our webmaster will create the new Forum topic for me to upload them to.
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Female Posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/4/2011, 5:36 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:Flickr allows free accounts up to a couple hundred pictures. After that, it's "one in one out" sort of. However, you can buy a "pro" account for what amounts to $26/yr. Not a huge expense if you take tons of pictures like me.

There are several other free "image hosting" sites around the web, too. ImageShack comes to mind.

As long as you keep your accounts current, the pictures you post here will not disappear in your threads.

How does this help the SFG site? Anything hosted somewhere else and "copy/pasted" here is of no expense......space issue.....for this site. If you upload your pics directly here and allow SFG to host them, it takes space from their servers. So, if you are into protecting the forum, you would naturally opt to host your pictures somewhere else and take the extra step to copy them over here.

I'm sorry this sounds complicated. It's really not too bad.

I have a Flickr account already, so it's no skin off my back and allows me to keep all my images in one place online. To each his/her own, though.

One can post from one's computer directly into one's post and it does not cost the foundation anything. Putting one's pics on a hosting web site and linking to them does not cost anything, but it is an extra step if you're not doing that already. The forum only pays for storage space when a member puts a picture in the gallery.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 11/4/2011, 6:35 pm

Understood, Boffer. But I was thinking that if in fact the Gallery were deleted, that we could still keep the photos as posts. That was what I was proposing to do, if the members who have pics posted there didn't want to "lose" them or go through the hassle of moving them into the Forum themselves.
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/4/2011, 7:35 pm

Luci Dawson wrote:Understood, Boffer. But I was thinking that if in fact the Gallery were deleted, that we could still keep the photos as posts. That was what I was proposing to do, if the members who have pics posted there didn't want to "lose" them or go through the hassle of moving them into the Forum themselves.
I like this idea. Very Happy The original draw for me to SFG (and this forum) were the photos on the old forum. I loved looking at other folks gardens, as if flicking through an album.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/4/2011, 9:08 pm

(I'm out of town this week and can't get to a computer as often as normal)

Understood, Luci. I was addressing BBG's post; I read his post several times and was still confused about what he was saying!

I agree with Camp. The only good thing about the old forum software was an auto selection and display picture feature. It was great. But the software was a feature that can't be used on our forum. I've spent a lot of hours trying to figure out a way to do the same thing here, but since we don't have access to the database, it's not possible to set up something similar.

There are different ways to do it manually, but collecting, sorting, and displaying becomes a very tedious chore after a while. Let's see if mm wants to brainstorm this, as she would have to be involved too, I think.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/4/2011, 9:19 pm

boffer wrote:(I'm out of town this week and can't get to a computer as often as normal)

Understood, Luci. I was addressing BBG's post; I read his post several times and was still confused about what he was saying!

I agree with Camp. The only good thing about the old forum software was an auto selection and display picture feature. It was great. But the software was a feature that can't be used on our forum. I've spent a lot of hours trying to figure out a way to do the same thing here, but since we don't have access to the database, it's not possible to set up something similar.

There are different ways to do it manually, but collecting, sorting, and displaying becomes a very tedious chore after a while. Let's see if mm wants to brainstorm this, as she would have to be involved too, I think.
Let me know if I can help in any way! I love looking at the gallery.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Membership Vote Needed: Photo Gallery WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 11/4/2011, 11:03 pm

You could have a photo tab where people post links to their photo accounts, similar to people posting their websites. It's not as easy to navigate but people like sifting through others photos. I spent a lot of time earlier in the year prior to starting in spring looking at everyone's set up. Besides flicker there is also http://photobucket.com/ which recently lifted their limit to photo's and videos. Also, they allow you to have several gallery's and you can limit who can see which ones.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 11/5/2011, 1:17 am

Sorry for the earlier confusion.

I think our answer is clear as far as the poll goes.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/5/2011, 9:29 am

This is a thought from a challenged computer person... instead of having sooo many photos in the gallery, is there a way to store the photos somewhere else and simply rotate in a couple of the users for a pre determined amount of "gallery time"? Then switch those out and put in some other users?
Wallah, complete control of space being used and cost effective??? Oh well, just a little thought from llamamomma....
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 11/5/2011, 11:25 am

@BBG: With only 19 votes so far and over 7,000 registered users, I don't think the poll is quite as conclusive as one would wish it to be for making a firm decision.
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 11/5/2011, 12:22 pm

For what it is worth, I found it easier to put photos into "my gallery" and then post them into the discussion than to use the image host software which sometimes I couldn't seem to get it to work.

I vote to do whatever is best for the foundation and forum.
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 11/5/2011, 12:27 pm

Well, 2 cents again: thinking
if 7000 folks each give a dollar, we could buy our own website and servers and have as many pics as we want! Laughing Laughing
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 11/5/2011, 4:05 pm

Guess I wouldn't miss what I've never used. If the foundation needs to delete the gallery to keep the forum afloat, then delete away. And if they want to use any pics I've posted, just ask.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 11/7/2011, 4:52 pm

Bumping
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/7/2011, 7:44 pm

krazikandiland wrote:You could have a photo tab where people post links to their photo accounts, similar to people posting their websites.
We currently can put links to our picture hosting sites in our signatures. We can also go into our profiles and put our link in the website space so that it will show up under our avatars.

Luci Dawson wrote:@BBG: With only 19 votes so far and over 7,000 registered users, I don't think the poll is quite as conclusive as one would wish it to be for making a firm decision.
As of today:
157 members have logged into the forum since this thread was started.
5331 have never posted.

A lot of folks just don't vote in any elections.

boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 11/7/2011, 8:43 pm

The horse bulletin board where I hang out periodically considers donations or user subscription fees. I don't believe it is practical, feasible or likely to bring out the best in people.

On the other hand, if you would like me to send my .02 rather than just offer it all the time, maybe it would add up to something useful!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next