Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest? Toplef10Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest? I22gcj10Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest? Toplef10Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest? I22gcj10Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest?

5 posters

Go down

Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest? Empty Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest?

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 11/1/2011, 11:58 pm

Wow, where did the growing season go? Sure some of us may still be harvesting, but I doubt any of us are putting anything in the ground.

Here are some things to do this month:

- Cole crops such as brussels sprouts, cabbage, broccoli and kale are made sweeter by frost, so don't pull them out yet. Harvest them as long as possible.

- Spring-flowering bulbs can still be planted as long as the ground is not frozen.

- Mark or make a mental note of lawn areas infested with crabgrass this year so you can spot treat with a pre-emergent herbicide next spring. Crabgrass is easy to see now since it turns purple and then brown when killed by frost.

- Water all needle and broadleaf evergreens one last time before the ground freezes since winter wind and sun will continue to demand water from these plants through their leaves all winter. Excess water loss can lead to "winter burn" or death.

- Cut down and discard asparagus stems and leaves as soon as they have yellowed completely. Removing these from the garden reduces disease and insect problems next year.

- Clean and sharpen gardening tools. HA! I thought that would be funny to throw in there since in the SFG we don't use tools. But, this is the perfect month to add mulch.

Hope that helps keep some of you busy until the REAL planning begins....the holdidays!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest? Empty Re: Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest?

Post  camprn 11/2/2011, 2:42 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:

- Clean and sharpen gardening tools. HA! I thought that would be funny to throw in there since in the SFG we don't use tools.
Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest? _suspect_ I am a SF Gardener and I use garden tools, just not as often in the SFG. SO MANY FALL CHORES! but that usually translates to not as many spring chores. Very Happy

Last edited by camprn on 11/2/2011, 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest? Empty Re: Is It Already November in the N&C Midwest?

Post  Cincinnati 11/2/2011, 2:47 pm

It's Already November here too!

Thanks for the reminders.
Cincinnati

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 11/2/2011, 3:25 pm

I planted some garlic. I pulled out my peppers and got this huge bowl setting on the counter. The tomatoes are done for, but I still need to pull the plants, which I'll do tomorrow-it's raining today for a change.

My hoops are covered with plastic and I have spinach, lettuce, chard, radishes, red onions, beets and shallots going strong still. I've never had a garden this late in the year and I'm really wondering how long I can go with it. I wish it was on the south side of the house instead of the north. Next year, I want to put several boxes on the south side too.

I've started to compost in a couple of old garbage cans. I hope I have enough by next year that I don't have to buy it anymore. But, I have big plans for next spring, so I'm not sure.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 11/3/2011, 11:01 am

My hoops are covered with plastic and I have spinach, lettuce, chard, radishes, red onions, beets and shallots going strong still. I've never had a garden this late in the year and I'm really wondering how long I can go with it.

This is the most fun part imo. C'mon, Mother Nature, you wanna piece?

I planted some seedlings in the garden yesterday just to see what happens. I have some lettuce and spinach in about 8 squares now. I plan to really nuke them to get them going. We'll see what we learn.

Another thing I learned... Starting in vermiculite trays really is the way to go. I can keep them in the vermiculite, anywhere I want, until they start popping their first true leaves. I also need to put my seeds in the freezer/fridge for a few weeks to "fool" them into thinking winter happened.

My spinach wouldn't germinate 6 weeks ago. I put it in the freezer for 10 days, and every one of them perked up with a little water. You have to mimic nature as closely as possible. Hence, both the lights and heat mat turning off at night when starting seeds to fool the plants into thinking they are outside.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 11/3/2011, 1:28 pm

Can I ask you a personal question? Does your wife say your crazy like my husband says I am? He helped me put the plastic over my hoops, since it was really windy that day. He just shook his head.

I really didn't follow the book with the planting of the spinach or lettuce this time. I just scattered the seeds, hoping for a few to germinate. To my surprise, they all seemed to. I will have a picture to post later today or tomorrow. I can't get enough of gardening, lol.

Oh, I also discovered some thing neat. I got a cooked chicken from the deli at Walmart. They have it in a plastic tray with a clear lid that has perferations along the side. It's perfect for starting seeds in. I'm going to keep saving those trays.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 11/20/2011, 10:01 am

Well, it is November and we finally got our first snow of the season. Not as heavy as what was predicted, but TWC currently shows our temp at 1F. affraid It will get much colder as the season progresses, but this is our first shot of winter. I stayed inside and baked cinnamon rolls, as is our custom when a blizzard is supposedly raging (we got less than 2", it was underwhelming but the cinnamon rolls were great! sunny ) Now is the time of year when I bury my face in seed catalogs and gardening books for ideas for the next spring, and basically become deaf to everything around me!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down