Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I havested my fall worm compost today! Toplef10I havested my fall worm compost today! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I havested my fall worm compost today! I22gcj10I havested my fall worm compost today! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I havested my fall worm compost today! Toplef10I havested my fall worm compost today! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I havested my fall worm compost today! I22gcj10I havested my fall worm compost today! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

I havested my fall worm compost today!

5 posters

Go down

I havested my fall worm compost today! Empty I havested my fall worm compost today!

Post  quiltbea 10/21/2011, 8:55 pm

It turned out to be such a lovely day today, in the 60s and sunny, that I changed my routine and harvested worm compost instead of making a quilted tote bag. I know I won't be getting many more nice days and this is a job I have to do outside in the yard where I can spread out and get things washed and cleaned. I have a 3-story Can-O-Worms setup which I love. It stays in my bathroom most of the year and under the shade of cool trees in the summer. I only use one story of the condo for living quarters and then make up a clean condo for the next batch of compost farming.

I havested my fall worm compost today! 10-21-10

With a pair of latex gloves on for protection, I scooped out the worms and their compost, where I found many clusters of several dozen red wigglers together.

I havested my fall worm compost today! 10-21-11

At my age, nearly 70, and with a bad back, I needed a better way to sort so I upended a bucket and scooped compost and worms together on the bottom surface. Worms were picked out and placed in their clean condo quarters with damp newspaper and some finished compost for the organisms that aid in keeping the bed healthy and free from odors. In the photo you can see my camera straps hanging down. Sorry, I didn't notice til I downloaded the pix.

I havested my fall worm compost today! 10-21-12

The finished compost went into a 28# bucket and the worms in the new bed to the right with the damp newspaper (you can just see it in the photo). I also trransferred some of the finished compost to the new bed for its micro-organisms that keep the bed healthy and odor-free. When I was thru, I had a full 28# bucket full to the brim for my garden and over 3000 healthy red wigglers to make new compost for me in their clean bedding.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

I havested my fall worm compost today! Empty Re: I havested my fall worm compost today!

Post  madnicmom 10/22/2011, 1:10 am

Congrats! How long did it take to harvest the compost? I ask cause I need to do the same and I'm dreading it! LOL
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

I havested my fall worm compost today! Empty Re: I havested my fall worm compost today!

Post  ishootaction 10/22/2011, 1:58 am

Nice job cheers
I just started my 1st one. Yours looks great. I hope I will get there some day. thanks
ishootaction
ishootaction

Male Posts : 54

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 10/22/2011, 10:49 am

madnicmom.....I didn't time it, but I'd say around 2 hours. I painstakingly picked out every worm, large and small. When I started to get tired, I wasn't as diligent. Many of the worms got shifted into the compost bucket but that's ok, they'll go into the garden beds this weekend to boost my soil. I found several balls of them in the bottom basement of their condo where there isn't any food, just the richest of wet compost. This area is where the water drains and from here thru the spout into a container outside. For some reason they were congregating there in droves.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Josh 10/22/2011, 3:13 pm

I havested my fall worm compost today! 311672 Looks great quitlbea!

When I'm trying to get the worms to move to one place so I can harvest my worm castings, I take an over ripe banana, cut in into two pieces, and put it in the the worm bin, the worms love rotten banana, and they will all gather on the inside of the banana peel, eating all the banana, and filling the peel up with a mass of worms, looks really cool too seeing all those worms massed up inside of the peel that has turned black!
Josh
Josh

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 741

http://greenesgardenthings.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 10/22/2011, 3:36 pm

I compost on the ground and have found that earthworms love corn cobs. That's how I get worms into my TTs: When worms infiltrate the inside of the cob, I just bury it into a TT box.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 10/23/2011, 11:12 am

I know that garden worms love dried brown leaves. If you bury a few handsful in your beds here and there, they will come and hold court thru the winter making lovely rich soil by spring. The red wigglers in my condo love used coffee grinds.

Personal note: I harvest my compost at one sitting because I don't want to have to wait for my worms to move up into the next floor on their own. I need it done quickly. I harvest on a good, clear, slightly warm day so I can scrub and scour and store away the old bed for another season.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 10/23/2011, 6:50 pm

In re-reading my post, it appears that I put away my worm condo for the winter. Sorreeeeee! I just put away one floor of the condo, the one I just emptied. I scrub and scour it and store in the garage til needed when I harvest my next batch.

The newly bedded floor of the condo is clean and besides its clean bedding, I've added fresh food, and all my wigglers that I transferred from the other floor.

I havested my fall worm compost today! 12-01-13

The cleaned condo rests in my bathroom for the winter, away from excess cold. There's no odor.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down