Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rebar/conduit Toplef10Rebar/conduit 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rebar/conduit I22gcj10Rebar/conduit 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my worms are gonna get hungry
by has55 Today at 9:19 am

» Tomato Tuesday - 2020
by plantoid Yesterday at 8:31 pm

» another idea from do nothing gardening-composting tea
by plantoid Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» Green Chili's
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:55 pm

» Pesto
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:30 pm

» 2020 SFG in Brooks, GA
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» 2020 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 5:37 am

» Newbie SFGer in N. Virginia needing some advice
by novablue 8/9/2020, 7:29 pm

» Hardcore Sustainability - Urban Homesteading
by TCgardening 8/9/2020, 12:23 pm

» A couple of recipes for when the tomatoes show up ;-)
by Scorpio Rising 8/9/2020, 9:35 am

» N&C Midwest: August 2020
by OhioGardener 8/8/2020, 7:36 pm

» Tomato Mosaic Virus...Fearing the Worst :(
by Yardslave 8/7/2020, 12:26 pm

» The SFG journey-Overview of the Redesign Compost Tea Brewer
by has55 8/7/2020, 3:50 am

» Tampa newbie
by TCgardening 8/6/2020, 9:11 am

» Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans?
by Scorpio Rising 8/5/2020, 8:45 pm

» Safety of cardboard in compost
by Scorpio Rising 8/5/2020, 8:42 pm

» Succession seed sowing now
by Scorpio Rising 8/5/2020, 8:37 pm

» Hello from southern Wisconsin
by AtlantaMarie 8/5/2020, 6:07 am

» Stroke - Country Naturals
by countrynaturals 8/4/2020, 7:28 pm

» Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting.
by mollyhespra 8/4/2020, 2:19 pm

» Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!!
by sanderson 8/4/2020, 2:06 pm

» SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment
by has55 8/4/2020, 1:01 pm

» New England, August, 2020
by SFGHQSTAFF 8/4/2020, 4:18 am

» Earwigs 2.0!
by OhioGardener 8/3/2020, 2:52 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/3/2020, 12:56 pm

» N&C Midwest—July 2020
by Scorpio Rising 8/3/2020, 12:40 pm

» Tomato Problems - Help!
by Dan in Ct 8/3/2020, 8:33 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by Scorpio Rising 8/2/2020, 8:03 pm

» August Avatar: Beat The Heat!
by Scorpio Rising 8/2/2020, 9:01 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Rebar/conduit

Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Rebar/conduit

Post  Kelejan on 10/12/2011, 6:56 pm

Waaaah! Sometimes things don't go right.
Bought some 1/2" rebar a while ago and had it cut into pieces. At the same time I bought some 3/4" conduit, to make a hoop house.
Just been out and tried to put the conduit on the rebar that I had hammered into the ground now that we have had rain and the ground is softened, and found the it does not go over the rebar.
Back to the drawing board.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5902
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 85
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  boffer on 10/12/2011, 7:09 pm

Well...somthing's weird! My ½ inch rebar fits inside ½ inch PVC and EMT conduit; I just tried it.

Any chance one of your pieces is metric?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 67
Location : yelm, wa, usa

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  sherryeo on 10/12/2011, 9:42 pm

My hubby and I recently added 3 new sfg beds. We used Mel's method of building a trellis with rebar and electrical conduit (both 1/2 inch). After hammering the rebar into the soil, we found that the tops of some of the rebar was flattened out a little from the hammering and the conduit wouldn't fit over it. We hammered the uneven rebar edges back a bit and it worked ok then.

But it seems strange if you got 3/4 conduit for it not to fit over 1/2 inch rebar. We did notice that the conduit was somewhat mixed up in the bins - any chance the conduit you got was just in the wrong bin and it's actually 1/2 inch?
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850
Join date : 2011-04-03
Age : 68
Location : Mississippi Gulf Coast Zone 8B

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  genes on 10/12/2011, 10:24 pm

@sherryeo wrote: After hammering the rebar into the soil, we found that the tops of some of the rebar was flattened out a little from the hammering and the conduit wouldn't fit over it....
good idea but it should fit in to 3/4s
genes
genes

Posts : 180
Join date : 2011-01-26
Location : CA

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Kelejan on 10/12/2011, 11:03 pm

I have now measured the condiut and as far as I can make out the 3/4" conduit outside diameter is `1 7/8" and the inside diameter is 1 5/8" meaning that the conduit is 1/4" thick, and the conduit has 3/4" printed all along the piping.



The rebar is definitely 1/2" but it has those ridges so that it is not smooth.



I must get it sorted quickly as our weather forecast is - 2c this Friday night.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5902
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 85
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  boffer on 10/13/2011, 12:31 am

@Kelejan wrote:...outside diameter is `1 7/8" and the inside diameter is 1 5/8" meaning that the conduit is 1/4" thick, and the conduit has 3/4" printed all along the piping....
1 7/8" od is about the size of your wrist.

your od and id means that the conduit wall is 1/8" thick.

didn't you say recently that you got a camera?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392
Join date : 2010-02-26
Age : 67
Location : yelm, wa, usa

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Kelejan on 10/13/2011, 10:28 am

@boffer wrote:
@Kelejan wrote:...outside diameter is `1 7/8" and the inside diameter is 1 5/8" meaning that the conduit is 1/4" thick, and the conduit has 3/4" printed all along the piping....
1 7/8" od is about the size of your wrist.

your od and id means that the conduit wall is 1/8" thick.

didn't you say recently that you got a camera?



I meant to type 7/8" and 3/4". I don't know what I was thinking of when I added that 1 in front. Embarassed
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5902
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 85
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  janezee on 10/13/2011, 10:46 am

Hi, kelejan,
There's something not adding up here, even with the new measurements.
Are you saying that you can't get a 3/4" pipe to fit over a 1/2" bar if you're going at it straight on? or that you're not able to bend it and get it on the other side? Perhaps you could replant the rebar at a slight angle to make it easier to get it on?
Or am I missing the problem altogether?
On the other hand, I'm grateful to find out that the galvanized conduit I have for my trellises next year will fit over the rebar I had originally bought for my bird feeder. Much easier than pounding 10 foot tall pipe into rocky soil!
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242
Join date : 2011-09-21
Age : 113
Location : Away

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Kelejan on 10/13/2011, 11:40 am

janezee, what I am saying is that I just cannot get the pipe over the rebar.

It is the inside of the pipe that is less than 3/4" according to my tape measure.

Perhaps it is the brand of pipe?

A bit like a 2x4 wood plank is not a finished measurement.

Maybe I should try a bit more force? Will do that later today now that it is not raining. If I cannot get that pipe on then I will have to try something else.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5902
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 85
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Lindacol on 10/13/2011, 12:41 pm

@Kelejan wrote:janezee, what I am saying is that I just cannot get the pipe over the rebar.

It is the inside of the pipe that is less than 3/4" according to my tape measure.

Perhaps it is the brand of pipe?

A bit like a 2x4 wood plank is not a finished measurement.

Maybe I should try a bit more force? Will do that later today now that it is not raining. If I cannot get that pipe on then I will have to try something else.



Just a thought, are you sure it is conduit that is used to run electric wire thru? Or could it be the heavier water pipe?

I haven't made those type of trellises but if I did I was going to buy the conduit & rebar at the same time and make sure that the rebar will go in the conduit before I buy.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  staf74 on 10/13/2011, 12:49 pm

My video update I posted today shows how I slip my 3/4 inch plastic piping snugly over 1/2 inch rebar for my hoop house. It is a good tight fit and holds up in the wind. Without pics its tough to tell what the issue is. Can you post?
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554
Join date : 2010-11-24
Age : 45
Location : York, SC

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Glendale-gardener on 10/13/2011, 12:55 pm

Did you have it cut down at the hardware store? If you did, they might have used the plumbing dept's pipe cutter to cut it instead of the correct way which is just to cut it with a hacksaw. When you use a hacksaw, you have rough edges but the inside of the pipe stays intact and the correct diameter. When they use a pipe cutter, it rolls the inside of the pipe in on itself, making the inner diameter actually smaller but just on the edge.

If this is what happened, you can try to take some needle nose pliers(closed) and jam them in there to "ream" the hole back to it's original size, or maybe a round metal file. But it would be easier to just prop the end of the conduit up on something and use a hacksaw to take an inch of the end. Then use the plier trick to remove the rough edges. voila- HTH
Glendale-gardener
Glendale-gardener

Female Posts : 293
Join date : 2011-03-10
Age : 44
Location : Cincinnati Zone 6A

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Kelejan on 10/13/2011, 2:20 pm

I just bought a length of pipe and intend to cut it myself. It is the rebar that was cut and I think I need to file some of the ends to give it a start.

Thanks for your advice, G-G.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5902
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 85
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  BackyardBirdGardner on 10/13/2011, 2:54 pm

we found that the tops of some of the rebar was flattened out a little from the hammering and the conduit wouldn't fit over it.

I know it was discussed, but THIS!^

Another tip...why not take things back with your receipt and buy the next size? That would solve things, too.

Also, your rebar may be in the ground at a slight angle....causing your conduit to require LOTS of force to make it fit. (This was my issue in the spring.)

Cutting the conduit will also cause the burrs to affect the ease of sliding over the rebar.

Some fool in the store may have taken 1/2" conduit out and put it back in the 3/4" pile when he decided not to buy it. Did you try ALL your pieces?

There are just so many factors involved here. If you bought 3/4", it will work out eventually. You just need to find the mistake....like cutting or angle. It "should" fit fine.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727
Join date : 2010-12-25
Age : 46
Location : St. Louis, MO

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Kelejan on 10/13/2011, 5:10 pm

@Lindacol wrote:[quote

Just a thought, are you sure it is conduit that is used to run electric wire thru? Or could it be the heavier water pipe?

I haven't made those type of trellises but if I did I was going to buy the conduit & rebar at the same time and make sure that the rebar will go in the conduit before I buy.



Now that's a thought. Must check that out. Never having seen conduit before, perhaps it is waterpipe.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5902
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 85
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Kelejan on 10/13/2011, 11:52 pm

@Kelejan wrote:
@Lindacol wrote:[quote

Just a thought, are you sure it is conduit that is used to run electric wire thru? Or could it be the heavier water pipe?

I haven't made those type of trellises but if I did I was going to buy the conduit & rebar at the same time and make sure that the rebar will go in the conduit before I buy.

Now that's a thought. Must check that out. Never having seen conduit before, perhaps it is waterpipe.



Linda, I have had a closer look at the pipe and you must be right that it is water piping. I had only noticed 3/4" and failed to read the rest of it. It also has 100 psi (pounds per square inch) at 180F and 160 psi at 73F. Embarassed
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5902
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 85
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Lindacol on 10/14/2011, 1:00 am

@Kelejan wrote:
@Kelejan wrote:
@Lindacol wrote:[quote

Just a thought, are you sure it is conduit that is used to run electric wire thru? Or could it be the heavier water pipe?

I haven't made those type of trellises but if I did I was going to buy the conduit & rebar at the same time and make sure that the rebar will go in the conduit before I buy.

Now that's a thought. Must check that out. Never having seen conduit before, perhaps it is waterpipe.



Linda, I have had a closer look at the pipe and you must be right that it is water piping. I had only noticed 3/4" and failed to read the rest of it. It also has 100 psi (pounds per square inch) at 180F and 160 psi at 73F. Embarassed



That sounds like it is water pipe. Conduit is in the electrical section of the big box stores, not the plumbing section. Metal conduit is much thinner walled than water pipe but is lighter, cheaper yet strong enough for trellis making. The is also PVC conduit that is gray and sometimes used for hoop houses.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Posts : 777
Join date : 2011-01-23
Location : Bloomington, CA

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  janezee on 10/14/2011, 11:24 am

Ah, a brilliant solution. It's funny how so many can look at a problem and one sees the obvious answer. I hope it comes in time for your plants. For me, this is just another good reason to keep all my receipts in one place, so I can return my mistakes.
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242
Join date : 2011-09-21
Age : 113
Location : Away

Back to top Go down

Rebar/conduit Empty Re: Rebar/conduit

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum