Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 Toplef10My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 I22gcj10My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 Toplef10My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 I22gcj10My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer.

+29
donnainzone5
trolleydriver
Betty Ann c
jazzycat
camprn
Hardcoir
morganfam7
Furbalsmom
EatYourVeggies
jpatti
miinva
igolfat8
graficow
southern gardener
RoOsTeR
shannon1
staf74
WardinWake
Nate
Mamachibi
westie42
Chopper
CaptainKidney
Icemaiden
NHGardener
duhh
llama momma
middlemamma
boffer
33 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 Empty Carrot apple ginger juice

Post  Nate 9/10/2011, 11:54 am

This is my favorite: 6 carrots, 1-2 apples, and about 1/2 - 3/4 inch of ginger. It is great! I put the pulp in my worm bin. It's great for me AND the garden!
Nate

Back to top Go down

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 Empty Re: My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer.

Post  boffer 9/10/2011, 1:18 pm

Icemaiden wrote:
(sorry for hijacking the juice thread, Boffer)
LOL I guess it's payback time for the threads I've hijacked!

I'll have to look into growing some ginger. I tried cucumber, celery, and tomato yesterday. I should have left out the tomato; it turned the juice that ugly tan color.

I haven't figured out what to do with the pulp other than the compost pile. My chickens won't eat it.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 Empty Celery juice

Post  Nate 9/10/2011, 2:56 pm

Celery juice tends to taste salty which isn't that great. I've had it with carrot, which tastes ok but is a fairly ugly brown color. It tastes ok with apple and looks better than other recipes I have tried.

BTW: The book "The Juicing Bible" by Pat Crocker is awesome. It also has a lot of uses for pulp.
Nate

Back to top Go down

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 Empty Re: My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer.

Post  Chopper 9/10/2011, 8:20 pm

Nate wrote:Celery juice tends to taste salty which isn't that great. I've had it with carrot, which tastes ok but is a fairly ugly brown color. It tastes ok with apple and looks better than other recipes I have tried.

BTW: The book "The Juicing Bible" by Pat Crocker is awesome. It also has a lot of uses for pulp.

Try celery with tomato and a small piece of garlic. Really good.

This week I added some cantaloupe to the carrot-apple-beet one and I must say I like it.

And as far as pulp goes I have two words - - - - COMPOST PILE! Smile

And as far as how often I juice, how about I get to decide that. Wink

The real problem is that now I can't drink a juice without thinking of Boffer! Might break me... My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 109486
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 Empty Juicing Machines

Post  WardinWake 9/11/2011, 12:25 am

Howdy Folks:

Disclaimer; I am not an expert on juicing and have no medical training so please do your own research on juicing. The following is taken from various sources and is for general information only. Having said that I feel the information is accurate. Remember - please do your own research and your experiences may vary from others.

A blender is not a juicer. Blenders are a great help in the kitchen; however, they are not designed to make juice as they leave pulp or fiber in with the juice. (The very purpose of juicing is to remove the fiber.) A blender operates at a high speed, producing only a small amount of liquid that is mixed with the fibers of the plant.

A juicer, on the other hand, is designed to extract the juice from the fibers of the plant, separating the pulp from the juice. It is important to remember that the fiber needed for good health is received by eating fresh fruits and vegetables. There are a
number of books available to guide you on juicing.

Types of juicers:

Centrifugal Juicers have a spinning basket that rotates at a very high rate of speed (up to 6,000 RPM) shredding the food and
flinging the juice through the air causing oxidation to take place which greatly reduces the nutrient value of the juice. A
centrifugal juicer should be used only if it is the sole option available, and it should be replaced with a masticating juicer as soon as possible.

Masticating Juicers operate at much slower speeds and most have two output ports, one for the juice and one for the pulp, eliminating the need to stop the juicer to dump out the pulp. Masticating juicers are also more efficient in separating the juice from the pulp with several brands leaving an almost dry pulp. Examples of masticating juicers include the Champion Juicer ($260.00 to $300.00), the line of Green Star Juicers ($460.00 to $530) and the Hurom Juicer ($360.00). The Hurom is gaining in popularity as it has a smaller footprint then the Champion therefore taking up less counter room. (Mary and I have the Hurom Juicer.) Then there is the KING of all juicers, the Norwalk Press, which sells for $2000.00 or more with some reports saying it produces a pulp that is so dry that goats will not eat it.

If you use celery in the Champion or Hurom
Juicer cut it into small pieces to prevent the strings from wrapping around the blade which could cause the motor to overheat.
Whatever juicer you use be sure to read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/11/2011, 2:27 am

Hey Ward, I know you and Mary are juicing; aren't cha gonna share your favorite combinations?!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mamachibi 9/11/2011, 9:32 am

I like throwing pulp into other things I'm making. For example, if you've juiced a tomato/celery/carrot type thing, put the pulp in meatloaf. Carrot/apple pulp makes a tender, moist muffin. Just about any vegetable pulp can be thrown into a soup or stew for flavor, nutrition and a tad of thickening. Squash pulp is yummy in pancakes (especially winter squash)...you get the idea. Compost it if you must, but don't throw it away!!
Mamachibi
Mamachibi

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 9/11/2011, 10:38 am

Guilty as charged. Juicaholic !

Ward, great points. Spot on. I do wish I had the Hurom as I went "ALL IN" on the probably the best centrifugal without researching the "masticating augar" types first Sad . Its a soild juicer though: Breville Juice Fountain Elite. Personally, I think an important consideration is that the benefits of juicing are only felt if you do it often. No point buying anything if its going to sit on the counter taking up space and collecting dust. My juicer is a breeze to clean and takes no time picking away food stuffs in hard to reach places like some other juicers. Running it under the tap pretty much does it all and a quick scrub on the mesh and you're done. I am aware of the oxidizing process and the only thing I'm in control of is how quickly I drink the juice. The drink oxidizes after around 30 seconds I'm told and so its not something I nurse. I down it in one before I leave for work. After all, I'm drinking it for nutrition and not to necessarily enjoy. Certainly not like my morning green tea w/honey that takes me the best part of two hours to sip.....YUM.

My faves are

Carrot / Apple. Always a winner.
Carrot / apple / beet / celery / cucumber / ginger. (any combination thereof)

Ginger gives it a real kick. You don't need too much at all. Careful on the beets also, you don't need much. I do half a small beet or one quarter of a large one. They have purportedly held up better for lowering blood pressure than some medications in testing as long as you do them regularly.

Happy juicing peeps Very Happy

Jack Lalanne.....RIP my juicing guru.
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/11/2011, 1:11 pm

Nice to see you back again!

staf74 wrote: I am aware of the oxidizing process and the only thing I'm in control of is how quickly I drink the juice. The drink oxidizes after around 30 seconds I'm told and so its not something I nurse.

And I've read that we should 'chew' each sip so as to allow some saliva in every swallow, to help with digestion. thinking Beats me!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 9/11/2011, 1:21 pm

staf74 wrote:Its a soild juicer though: Breville Juice Fountain Elite.

Just one other slightly off-topic here, I just ordered a Breville stand mixer online, looking forward to using it. Aussie brand, seems to be making a name for itself.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 9/11/2011, 3:15 pm

we should 'chew' each sip so as to allow some saliva in every swallow

hmmmm.....that's beats me too. Saliva is a great pre-digester I know that much. In fact, every bit we swallow is supposed to be almost a pulp to aid in digestion, so your suggestion Boff makes perfect sense. Many of us eat on the fly and far too quickly even we do sit down to eat.

Perhaps I'll have a cup of saliva on hand next time to add to my juice.....

Too much information???
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 9/11/2011, 8:53 pm

[quote="staf74"]
Perhaps I'll have a cup of saliva on hand next time to add to my juice.....

Too much information????

Howdy Staf: Are you sure you were not in the U.S. Navy? We did some things that were way TMI for me even now! I remember one time we were in ..........

WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 9/13/2011, 1:50 am

Currently still suffering from TypeII Diabetes so fruit juice is off my list. I would like to get a juicer to make my own veg juice since it is impossible to find without added salt. What kind of jucier would be best do you guys think? Thanks Boffer for starting this thread.Very Happy
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/13/2011, 2:06 am

shannon1 wrote:on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:50 pmCurrently
still suffering from TypeII Diabetes so fruit juice is off my list. I
would like to get a juicer to make my own veg juice since it is
impossible to find without added salt. What kind of jucier would be
best do you guys think?

Best comparison of juicers so far:
WardinWake wrote:Howdy Folks:

Disclaimer; I am not an expert on juicing and have no medical training so please do your own research on juicing. The following is taken from various sources and is for general information only. Having said that I feel the information is accurate. Remember - please do your own research and your experiences may vary from others.

A blender is not a juicer. Blenders are a great help in the kitchen; however, they are not designed to make juice as they leave pulp or fiber in with the juice. (The very purpose of juicing is to remove the fiber.) A blender operates at a high speed, producing only a small amount of liquid that is mixed with the fibers of the plant.

A juicer, on the other hand, is designed to extract the juice from the fibers of the plant, separating the pulp from the juice. It is important to remember that the fiber needed for good health is received by eating fresh fruits and vegetables. There are a
number of books available to guide you on juicing.

Types of juicers:

Centrifugal Juicers have a spinning basket that rotates at a very high rate of speed (up to 6,000 RPM) shredding the food and
flinging the juice through the air causing oxidation to take place which greatly reduces the nutrient value of the juice. A
centrifugal juicer should be used only if it is the sole option available, and it should be replaced with a masticating juicer as soon as possible.

Masticating Juicers operate at much slower speeds and most have two output ports, one for the juice and one for the pulp, eliminating the need to stop the juicer to dump out the pulp. Masticating juicers are also more efficient in separating the juice from the pulp with several brands leaving an almost dry pulp. Examples of masticating juicers include the Champion Juicer ($260.00 to $300.00), the line of Green Star Juicers ($460.00 to $530) and the Hurom Juicer ($360.00). The Hurom is gaining in popularity as it has a smaller footprint then the Champion therefore taking up less counter room. (Mary and I have the Hurom Juicer.) Then there is the KING of all juicers, the Norwalk Press, which sells for $2000.00 or more with some reports saying it produces a pulp that is so dry that goats will not eat it.

If you use celery in the Champion or Hurom
Juicer cut it into small pieces to prevent the strings from wrapping around the blade which could cause the motor to overheat.
Whatever juicer you use be sure to read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

The best ones are the masticating ones in my opinion. It keeps the vitamin integrity better than the others. I have a Matstone and I love it. Very heavy duty and easy clean. I have never used another one so cannot say.

So: my vote is masticating.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 9/13/2011, 2:36 am

Ah,OK,Shocked looks like it will be a while unless I win the lotto. Thanks for the advice, you no doubt saved me from wasteing money on a cheap jucer that wouldn't do a proper job.Very Happy
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/14/2011, 4:01 pm

shannon1 wrote:Ah,OK,Shocked looks like it will be a while unless I win the lotto. Thanks for the advice, you no doubt saved me from wasteing money on a cheap jucer that wouldn't do a proper job.Very Happy

There is good, better and best. You are still better off with good if you want to juice and worry about better and best later.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/14/2011, 4:37 pm

I bought the Hamilton Beach centrifugal juicer for $65. It's perfect for my interests. I'm experimenting and learning about juicing. There's no reason to spend hundreds of dollars on something I might not like. I doubt that I'm going to wear this machine out by making a glass of juice per week!

I can tell you already that making a commitment to daily juicing is not in my future!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/8/2011, 8:56 pm

Boffer, I have the Hamilton Beach as well. Its just fine for me! When I first started looking at juicing, I looked (and wanted) a high dollar machine. I'm really glad that wore off (actually the wife bought me the Hamilton for Christmas) cause I love juice and its fun and all but....
Anyways, here are a couple favs:
Tomato Juice (simple, quick and wonderful)
2 tomatoes
2 carrots
3 pickles
black pepper

V-10
4 carrots
1 piece celery
1/2 c spinach
1/4 beet with top and skin
1/4 red pepper
4 sprigs parsley ( I prefer more)
2 sprigs watercress (again I like more)
1 garlic clove (easy does it here)
1/4 cucumber
2 tomatoes

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/9/2011, 12:20 pm

In addition to my centrifugal juicer, I just purchased off ebay a hardly used (for a third of retail) stainless steel manual wheatgrass juicer. You need a manual or special slow speed auger for juicing wheatgrass and other leafy greens.

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 2 Juicer10

Sorry for the small pic. I can use this for Kale, Lettuce and Broccoli leaves etc from my SFG but the wheatgrass is what I'm most excited about.

That stuff is like supercharged rocket fuel for the body.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/9/2011, 12:42 pm

nkedr..... your V10 must be highly nutrition-packed but may I ask, how about the taste? Don't you have to down it fast and be done with it?
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/9/2011, 2:11 pm

llama momma wrote:nkedr..... your V10 must be highly nutrition-packed but may I ask, how about the taste? Don't you have to down it fast and be done with it?

I love juice and think it tastes great. However, if you put it in front of my wife or kids...aint gonna happen:evil:

I don't have any problems doctoring my juice up either. Lil salt and pepper, lemon pepper, Tobasco...

Sure if I was a drinker, a little snort of vodka might not be to bad either:affraid:

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 11/9/2011, 2:16 pm

anyone use the Vitamix smoothie maker? It looks like you use the whole fruit/vegetable and make smoothies rather than juice. I know nothing about all this "juice" stuff, but sounds sort of interesting. The Vitamix is expensive tho! Looks like around $300-$500??
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/9/2011, 2:30 pm

nKedrOoStEr wrote:Sure if I was a drinker, a little snort of vodka might not be to bad either:affraid:

Would that be considered 'juicing for juicers'?! Razz

I wish I had some veggies in the garden to try out your V10...
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/9/2011, 7:27 pm

southern gardener wrote:anyone use the Vitamix smoothie maker? It looks like you use the whole fruit/vegetable and make smoothies rather than juice. I know nothing about all this "juice" stuff, but sounds sort of interesting. The Vitamix is expensive tho! Looks like around $300-$500??

I don't. Most juicers do use the whole vegetable. I will say I myself cant justify spending that kind of money on a juicer. I came close, but like I said my wife beat me to the punch...thank goodness. While I love juice, for me the glass of goodness just isn't worth the hassle for me most of the time. You can also use a whole lot of fruits and vegetables for not a whole lot of juice.
My advice would be to make sure its something you will actually use regularly and enjoy. That being said, your pockets my be a tad deeper than mine and the expense may not be that big of a deal for you Smile

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 11/9/2011, 7:57 pm

LOL...money is a concern! I agree with you, seems like you get such little juice, and the pulp isn't used. I've been using my OLD blender to make sort of juice/smoothies, but it doesn't blend it enough, and it's kind of gritty! LOL. Want to use the stuff from my SFG and be "healthy" too. Just wondering what others do...thanks for the info!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next