Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 4 Toplef10My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 4 I22gcj10My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 4 Toplef10My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 4 I22gcj10My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer.

+29
donnainzone5
trolleydriver
Betty Ann c
jazzycat
camprn
Hardcoir
morganfam7
Furbalsmom
EatYourVeggies
jpatti
miinva
igolfat8
graficow
southern gardener
RoOsTeR
shannon1
staf74
WardinWake
Nate
Mamachibi
westie42
Chopper
CaptainKidney
Icemaiden
NHGardener
duhh
llama momma
middlemamma
boffer
33 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 4 Empty Re: My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer.

Post  CapeCoddess 2/26/2017, 7:41 am

Masticating is definitely the way to go, especially if it's free! I have a small kitchen with limited counter space and the footprint of the masticating is pretty big. But I'm reading a great old book now, from the library, called 'Sproutman's Kitchen Garden Cookbook'.  There are so many good recipes to be used with a masticating.  Lots of other fab recipes, too, using sprouts and microgreens.

As far as the reboots, yes, there is discomfort on days two and three leaking in to day four if you go longer. Over the years I've adjusted so that it's not so bad. I cut my coffee in half instead of completely eliminating it. That helps a lot! And after the first and second time doing a reboot, I'm pretty cleaned out and eating properly so now they aren't bad at all... maybe a little tired on day 3. Which is why I like to start on Friday and finish on Sunday. But I sure feel good after that!

Wonder if these posts should move to a juice thread?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 4 Empty Re: My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer.

Post  CapeCoddess 2/26/2017, 9:35 am

Great thread! I just read the whole thing. I just want to add my two cents by saying that I think of carrots and beets as fruit in my juices and smoothies. And I only like to use 1 fruit serving per drink.
CC

Pickles??? Really??? Shocked
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 2/26/2017, 11:21 am

CapeCoddess wrote:Great thread! I just read the whole thing. I just want to add my two cents by saying that I think of carrots and beets as fruit in my juices and smoothies. And I only like to use 1 fruit serving per drink.
CC

Pickles??? Really??? Shocked

Haha. Yes! It makes a delicious juice...probably sacrilege to die hard juicers lol.

I don't juice much anymore (more like none...). If anything I make smoothies these days. I think my body does better with the fiber kept intact with the fruits and vegetables. Depending on my mood, sometimes I'll add turmeric root powder, ginger, protein, wheat or oat germ, or maybe even a drizzle of EVOO. tongue
My smoothie intake is also fairly limited. I like to eat, so I need foods I can nibble on and feel more satisfied for longer.

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 4 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 2/26/2017, 4:45 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Masticating is definitely the way to go, especially if it's free! I have a small kitchen with limited counter space and the footprint of the masticating is pretty big. But I'm reading a great old book now, from the library, called 'Sproutman's Kitchen Garden Cookbook'.  There are so many good recipes to be used with a masticating.  Lots of other fab recipes, too, using sprouts and microgreens.

As far as the reboots, yes, there is discomfort on days two and three leaking in to day four if you go longer. Over the years I've adjusted so that it's not so bad. I cut my coffee in half instead of completely eliminating it. That helps a lot! And after the first and second time doing a reboot, I'm pretty cleaned out and eating properly so now they aren't bad at all... maybe a little tired on day 3. Which is why I like to start on Friday and finish on Sunday. But I sure feel good after that!

Wonder if these posts should move to a juice thread?

I took the recent juicing posts out of "Senseless Banter: and merged them with this "My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer" thread.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/1/2017, 1:34 am

I'm looking at this one as an inexpensive juicer.  http://www.juiceman.com/products/juice-extractors/classic-juicer-jm400.aspx

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/1/2017, 12:15 pm

sanderson wrote:I'm looking at this one as an inexpensive juicer.  http://www.juiceman.com/products/juice-extractors/classic-juicer-jm400.aspx

Looks like a good juicer, Sanderson. 5 stars! May I suggest asking friends if you can borrow their juicer for a while to see how often you will use it? Once the novelty wears off so many juicers end up in the basement collecting dust. Mine was used constantly at first but now only once a month, if that, during my reboots. Rolling Eyes Altho, you may use yours more since you have a year round food supply. Here it gets expensive off season.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/1/2017, 12:26 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
sanderson wrote:I'm looking at this one as an inexpensive juicer.  http://www.juiceman.com/products/juice-extractors/classic-juicer-jm400.aspx

Looks like a good juicer, Sanderson.  5 stars!  May I suggest asking friends if you can borrow their juicer for a while to see how often you will use it?  Once the novelty wears off so many juicers end up in the basement collecting dust.  Mine was used constantly at first but now only once a month, if that, during my reboots. Rolling Eyes Altho, you may use yours more since you have a year round food supply. Here it gets expensive off season.
CC says "Here is gets expensive off season". That is why one person I know is no longer using their juicer. I believe it is also why I was able to get my lightly used juicer at a good price on Kijiji. I have not yet tried mine but based on the instructions it's going to take a lot of veggie/fruit input compared to making smoothies in my Vitamix blender. I think the masticating juicers squeeze out more juice than the centrifugal juicers.

BTW sanderson ... that looks like a good juicer at an excellent price point.  Want to see something frightening?  Look at the price of that juicer on Amazon Canada. Would you believe $363?  They have to be kidding.

https://www.amazon.ca/SPEED-JUICER-JUICEMAN-BLEMISHED-PACKAGE/dp/B0044KU9V2/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/1/2017, 2:51 pm

I will say you can make a lot of fruits disappear very quickly with a juicer. TD & CC both make very good points. If I knew then what I know now, I'd go Ninja (which I have now) or Vitamix.

My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 4 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/1/2017, 3:11 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:

Looks like a good juicer, Sanderson.  5 stars!  May I suggest asking friends if you can borrow their juicer for a while to see how often you will use it?  Once the novelty wears off so many juicers end up in the basement collecting dust.  Mine was used constantly at first but now only once a month, if that, during my reboots. Rolling Eyes Altho, you may use yours more since you have a year round food supply. Here it gets expensive off season.
I have a GNC smoothie/juicer but it works best as a smoothie maker.  (On special at $30 so it was worth trying. Plus, it came with a wonderful assortment of containers.)  I'm looking at this one as a better juicer.  If I upgrade $10, I could get the one with a large and small citrus juicer which would make juicing the oranges on my tree a lot easier than hand juicing on the glass juicer.  Otherwise, I use some calcium enriched orange juice as a filler.  I have quite a bit of frozen kale and chard frozen that I could also use.  When I harvested that last of my kale, I made frozen rolls for my daughter.  I wish I had kept some of them.  tongue

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 1/11/2020, 4:31 pm

Mamachibi wrote:I like throwing pulp into other things I'm making. For example, if you've juiced a tomato/celery/carrot type thing, put the pulp in meatloaf. Carrot/apple pulp makes a tender, moist muffin. Just about any vegetable pulp can be thrown into a soup or stew for flavor, nutrition and a tad of thickening. Squash pulp is yummy in pancakes (especially winter squash)...you get the idea. Compost it if you must, but don't throw it away!!
Bump! We're just about to start juicing again, so I'm digging through the oldies, again. I love this forum. I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/11/2020, 5:20 pm

We have an old Vitamix machine - anyone remember when they had the stainless steel canister with the spigot on it? (they discontinued them in the early 1990's) - and we use it to "juice" things like oranges, apples, pears, carrots, pineapple, etc..   That gives us the fiber and all of the nutrients, which we like.  But, we have two neighbors which use a juicer to make their juice, and they bring the pulp to me to put in the compost tumbler - I typically get 5 gallons of pulp a week to compost.

Vitamix has a good list of 13 Whole Food Juice Recipes, too.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/21/2021, 1:23 am

Serious juicers use slow, masticating juicers which cost a few $100s.  My daughter gave me a beginner's higher speed Mueller juicer for one Christmas that cost only $99.  Since I am a hit and miss juicer, it is perfect, easier to clean and takes up less counter space.  My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 4 Juicer12

Earlier, I bought a juicer/smoothie machine at GNC that was a special.   It also came with 2 short glasses, 2 tall glasses, 2 sealing lids and 2 lids with hard straws.  It only cost $30 but really only works well for smoothies.
My name is boffer, and I'm a juicer. - Page 4 Juicer13

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 9/30/2021, 8:52 am

We had a juicer but I prefer to use the bullet now because I want to eat all the fiber. My favorite green to juice is tatsoi, it has a wonderful flavor. I put soft fruits like cantaloupe and peaches and watermelon in ice cube trays and then pop a couple of those in the bullet and it turns it into a slushy :-) You can also freeze brown bananas for this purpose.
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4