Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes.... Toplef10Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes.... I22gcj10Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes.... Toplef10Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes.... I22gcj10Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 10/15/2024, 5:35 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes....

+2
NHGardener
quiltbea
6 posters

Go down

Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes.... Empty Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes....

Post  quiltbea 8/27/2011, 1:27 pm

One of our members stated they didn't kill all their hornworms because they only ate a few leaves, not the tomatoes, and then turned into a lovely moth.

Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes.... 08-27-10

I have a surprise for that person. This is the damage to only 2 of my firm, ripening tomatoes done by a hornworm. I found the hornworm right across one of these toms happily eating away.

If you don't remove and destroy tomato hornworms when you find them, and they are hard to see because they are the same color as the tomato's vine, you will have many dozens of tomatoes destroyed instead. Sometimes its easier to just move your hand under the leaves and along the branches until you feel the soft body, if you can stand it. If you find any green toms with this damage or your lovely nearly ripe toms with this damage, hunt for that culprit and destroy it. They can destroy a whole plant in a week.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4707

Back to top Go down

Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes.... Empty Re: Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes....

Post  NHGardener 8/27/2011, 2:23 pm

I must've pulled 30 hornworms off my tomato plants this summer, and spent a lot of time squinting at vines trying to find them! It absolutely amazes me how well they camouflage. They eat foliage quickly and weaken the plant. None of mine had the parasitic wasp.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes.... Empty Re: Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes....

Post  duhh 8/27/2011, 9:03 pm

I also had one eat one of my bell peppers I was waiting to ripen! Little beasts. They don't last long once I find them.
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 8/28/2011, 9:26 am

Well, I checked my eggplants to see what I could gather before Irene and knew there was a nice one forming. Lo and behold, a hornworm got it before me. The beast wasn't on the plant but the fruit was partially destroyed by nibbling.

Sorry, I didn't take a picture before tossing it in the compost pile and now the storm is approaching with lots of rain.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4707

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 8/28/2011, 9:48 am

Fortunately my hornworms didn't attack anything but my tomato plants, but I would think they'd be easier to spot on eggplants and pepper plants?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/28/2011, 9:55 am

I was fortunate to have been successful in hunting hornworms by being vigilant, resulting in minimal damage this year.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes.... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14129

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 8/28/2011, 10:17 am

camprn - Do hornworms show up every year?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/28/2011, 10:22 am

Yup, just like mosquitoes and ants and potato bugs and vine borers and cabbage worms and.... Part of the Circle of Life. Wink

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Yes, Hornworms DO eat your tomatoes.... WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 8/28/2011, 11:31 am

Great. Now I have something to look forward to for next summer. Wink

Sitting inside today, waiting out the storm, trying to position away from where any falling trees might topple. Wonder what our gardens will look like tomorrow. I staked my cornstalks with 5' poles wrapped all around with string. Couldn't really sink them too far into the ground tho so maybe the entire thing will topple, it will be interesting to see.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 8/28/2011, 10:51 pm

I seen this thread the other day but didn't have time to read it. I was watering the garden tonight and seen this catapillar and thought " i'd better check that thread out". LOL

Well sure enough, I found my first hornworm, he was about 2 inches long with these white sacks hanging off him.

I've have had some damage this year, I'm on a hormworm hunt tomorrow now!

Thank you!! I've learned so much this year, it isn't funny!
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 562

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 8/29/2011, 2:12 am

madnicmom wrote:
Well sure enough, I found my first hornworm, he was about 2 inches long with these white sacks hanging off him.

Parasitic wasp eggs?

http://gardening.about.com/od/gardenproblems/ig/Insects-and-Diseases-of-Plants/Tomato-Hornworm-with-Predator.htm

If you let those ones stay in your garden you won't have too many hornworms... from what I read.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2261

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 8/29/2011, 8:29 am

Yes, that was it. He had like 10 or so hanging from him.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 562

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 8/29/2011, 5:37 pm

I never found the parasitic wasp eggs on mine - maybe I snatched them up too quickly. Did you find they made any difference, camprn?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/29/2011, 6:12 pm

NHGardener wrote:I never found the parasitic wasp eggs on mine - maybe I snatched them up too quickly. Did you find they made any difference, camprn?
I don't have anymore hornworms. Wink

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down