Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 Toplef10Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 I22gcj10Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 Toplef10Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 I22gcj10Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!

+32
genes
littlejo
Lavender Debs
AZDYJ2K
janezee
bullfrogbabe
RoOsTeR
CaptainKidney
southern gardener
walshevak
staf74
Furbalsmom
duhh
ChicagoLaura
capatl
shannon1
WolfHeart
Josh
moswell
Squat_Johnson
FamilyGardening
AprilakaCCIL
madnicmom
gwennifer
squaredeal
littlesapphire
BackyardBirdGardner
camprn
boffer
Goosegirl
sherryeo
llama momma
36 posters

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 Empty Re: Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!

Post  boffer 11/23/2011, 2:06 pm

praise praise

I think you should bite the bullet and get some calipers! You'd really look like a pro then!

If I hang Christmas tree lights on my hoops, will they bring me good luck too?!

Curious: What was the temperature range during their development?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 Empty Re: Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!

Post  llama momma 11/23/2011, 2:43 pm

Staff74 I am blown away! Fantastic!!!!! smiles
On the video I think you said 9 and 1/2 inches, minus a sixteenth. This means your final measurement is 9 and 7/16th's. So yes indeed you are the current leader and you are now the one to beat! Unless myself and anyone else is still keeping our broccs going as far as possible to the Dec 31st cut off date. Twisted Evil The pressure is on! Enjoy eating your monster brocc and thanks for the fun video!!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/23/2011, 2:55 pm

oops correction. 9-1/2 minus an 8th ( not 16th as I just incorrectly stated ) would be 9 and 6/16ths.....sheesh, right?? Help me guys and girls!
llama momma
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/23/2011, 3:22 pm

The arithmetic in both your posts is correct. Somebody with better ears than mine will have to help you with what Staf said in his video. I didn't pay close attention because he's now ahead by about an inch; that will be tough to beat at this point.

I give up!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/23/2011, 4:08 pm

Yes it will be hard to beat, Staff did really well. Since I started this thing I will see it through as long as the weather allows and keep cheering on my broccoli kids. Who knows we may have a lurker come forward and surprise us too.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 11/23/2011, 4:45 pm

well, my PLANTS are only about 10" tall, so I don't think I'll have much be 12/31, but we'll see! Found a big old slug sucking on one last night, he paid with his life tho LOL! Happy Thanksgiving all!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/23/2011, 9:01 pm

Thanks y'all. Special shout out to Squat for getting my competitive juices flowing and I yield in respect of your garden. I don't count out a late lurker / contestant taking the prize but whatever the outcome, it has been fun and I certainly have enjoyed myself. That monster head is earmarked for a steamy end tomorrow as it feeds the family at Thanksgiving.

nkedr0o - The scale is the "good cook" brand regular kitchen electronic scale. Comes with a tray also for measuring flour etc. It is very accurate and I've had it for years now.

Boffer - Here is a link to the weather channel for my zip code with observed temps for the month of October when the Broccoli was starting to head up. 4 were from seed direct planted myself but the other 12 in that box were bought as 6 week transplants and went in on 9/11 (same day as the seeds). The transplants began to show signs of heading up around mid october. We had a relatively cool fall for here after a very hot september though. You can see that we had many observed temps around heading time (Oct15th) that were in the upper 60's to upper 70's. I never really let them go two days in a row without rain/manual watering. I think this really helped. They were my biggest so far since starting SFG'ning. Packman was the variety.

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/29745?month=-1

Hope this helps !
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 11/23/2011, 9:14 pm

@staf....were they in 6" of MM?
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  genes 11/24/2011, 12:12 am

nice job staf
genes
genes

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/24/2011, 7:01 am

My beds are all a foot deep but I have about 10 inches of mel's mix in each. I leave some room so in heavy rains I don't lose the mix. I did add my own blended compost this year for the first time. Perhaps that was the difference??
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 11/24/2011, 10:24 am

WOO HOO! Great job Staf! Congrats and enjoy your steamed prize.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/7/2011, 7:26 am

I wonder if anyone else is still holding out for the Dec 31st deadline????

Pretty sure my broccs won't be competitive size but I'm still letting them go just to take advantage of any warm spells.
I am also testing Boffer's theory? or advice? they will become sweeter as they get chilled too!

Staff -- King of Broccs 2011 !!!!!!!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 12/7/2011, 9:41 am

Most of mine have peaked at a loose 4 inches but there are one or two that may run true into to Newyears Eve.

Re the sweetness thing . I understand it as ......

The plants produce more sugars as a form of antifreeze to stop damage to the plants cells in frost but if the frost is hard and prolonged for much more than a coue of days then the plants usually sucumb to it.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/7/2011, 9:44 am

Aahhh I see, that is so good to know. Thank you.
You have to love this forum!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 12/7/2011, 11:36 am

I have at least 5 tiny broccoli heads growing - my beds are covered with insect covers, so I could have more that I just haven't found yet. It's a jungle in there - plants gone wild!!! I think I got the Mel's Mix right this time!

I'm not really any competition for the championship, but I consider myself a winner anyway just because I've never grown broccoli. And I'm thrilled to have succeeded thus far in growing some this year.
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 12/7/2011, 12:04 pm

staf74 wrote:Okay Llamamomma......I need your official judgment ....

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 53366 Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 53366 Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 53366

What makes me laugh is that my daughter is similarly unimpressed by vegetables that come out of the garden....
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 12/9/2011, 10:41 am

Gardening in December in Indiana - a hope and a prayer.

I have a few small heads forming, and one head went to flower, despite our low temps. I used a Martha Stewart brand broccoli seed (organic) - no other info about it. I had a terrible spring harvest and no fall harvest. Cauliflower didn't do anything either. The date on the photo is wrong; these were taken last week. As you can see our community garden looks a little bleak. I thought about adding hoops and plastic but I don't go to my garden everyday, so I skipped that idea.

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 Dec_sf11

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 Dec_sf12

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 8 Dec_sf13
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/9/2011, 7:53 pm

Weather was getting too cold so I had to cut the broccoli today and drum roll please...............the largest head was a proud five inch diameter cutie-pie. thinking (Steemed lightly and delicious)

Staff74 will stand as our 2011 esteemed Biggest Brassica Winner!!! you rock
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/9/2011, 7:56 pm

Squaredeal - my brocc leaves were drooping too so thats when I decided to throw in the towel and eat the little darlings. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AprilakaCCIL 12/20/2011, 11:11 am

Okay, all of my broccoli measured a total 8.0 in one bed and the other bed anywhere between 6-7.5. I still have broccoli out in the garden as of today.

I took 2 pic's as I was very busy during Thanksgiving and even almost forgot to take a pic'. Very Happy Has then been a winner yet?
AprilakaCCIL
AprilakaCCIL

Female Posts : 219

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 12/20/2011, 12:19 pm

I believe if you got something big enough to get out your tape measure, YOU ARE A WINNER! Congrats to all! cheers
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 12/20/2011, 3:24 pm

Well said squat. As fun as this has been and I'm proud of my heads for sure, the real winners here are all who took part. Growing your own food is an empowering process and no better reward than eating your hobby !!!

Well done all Very Happy
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 12/20/2011, 3:44 pm

And at $3.50 a pound today, I'm feeling pretty smug about getting in the freezer and grabbing some broccoli for dinner that I had put up earlier in the year

boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 12/20/2011, 5:18 pm

April..

Our current leader Staf74 came in at 9 and 6/16's inch diameter. Your current 8.0 inch is Greatttt. Maybe 11 days to the December 31st deadline is enough time for a final measure? Very Happy ???
LM
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 12/21/2011, 1:34 pm

Just found my first head... it's probably a an inch right now. cheers
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next