Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 Toplef10Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 I22gcj10Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 Toplef10Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 I22gcj10Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!

+32
genes
littlejo
Lavender Debs
AZDYJ2K
janezee
bullfrogbabe
RoOsTeR
CaptainKidney
southern gardener
walshevak
staf74
Furbalsmom
duhh
ChicagoLaura
capatl
shannon1
WolfHeart
Josh
moswell
Squat_Johnson
FamilyGardening
AprilakaCCIL
madnicmom
gwennifer
squaredeal
littlesapphire
BackyardBirdGardner
camprn
boffer
Goosegirl
sherryeo
llama momma
36 posters

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 Empty I declare a Brassicia Tie.

Post  Squat_Johnson 11/21/2011, 8:09 pm

I declare a Brassicia Tie with Squat.

My cauliflower is every big as your broccoli. Oh wait, that's me.
Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 Caulif10

Also shown, parsnips, carrots, drunken woman lettuce, broccoli a head of cabbage, and spinach.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 Empty Re: Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!

Post  southern gardener 11/21/2011, 8:19 pm

WOWOWOW!! affraid cheers affraid cheers affraid cheers congrats! that is beautiful! hoping to get some that nice. The aphids love the garden too! Is that all from your SFG?
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 Empty Re: Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!

Post  boffer 11/21/2011, 9:12 pm

I've been second place in carrots and brocs this year; how about caulis?
2lb 4oz
Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 Dscn0510
8 inch
Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 Dscn0512
It's been tough to keep up with you Easterners this year!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/22/2011, 1:50 am

Boff and Squat

Great Pictures. Currently it's about 2 a.m. and you guys have created a serious craving for steamed cauliflower with a little melted cheese!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 11/22/2011, 2:00 am

Beautiful, Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 73140 Squat and Boffer.

So pretty and white. Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 807243 Did you blanch the cauliflower by wrapping some of the lower leaves to protect the curd from turning yellow, or is that a variety that is self blanching?
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/22/2011, 7:56 am

Wow! Impressive from both of you. rock on
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 11/22/2011, 11:23 am

Boffer, you are the MAN! I flipped my cauliflower over a couple of times to make it to 8" but I was about a quarter short. I didn't weigh it, just started snacking. Very Happy

Congratulations. That cool weather is good for something...
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/22/2011, 12:02 pm

Ah..that's your secret...stuffing your veggies full of Kleenex to make them look bigger! Razz

This head was from this spring, and it's the biggest head I've grown. It grew, side-by-side, in the same cold weather as a lot of broccoli that produced the smallest heads (less than 2½ inches) that I've ever grown. I have to conclude that cauliflower thrives in the colder temperatures that slow down broccoli.

After adding my trowel of compost in each square, I grew a fall crop of broccoli in the same squares. I got many 6+ inchers. They weren't as big as yours, but they definitely grew better in the warmer weather.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  gwennifer 11/22/2011, 1:29 pm

The seed packet for my cauliflower says it is a cool weather crop that can be grown in spring or fall, but for best results a fall planting is recommended. The weather gets warmer and warmer as the plant matures for a spring planting, and colder and colder as the plant matures with a fall planting. Also, more and more sunlight each day, versus less and less. So it seems obvious to me there would be a difference.

However, my cauliflower, which I direct seeded just two weeks after Boffer direct seeded his broccoli, has not produced a harvest yet. I think Boffer harvested all his broccoli last month already? I was late for direct seeding - it was just an experiment. But my first anticipated fall frost date I was timing myself by was a full month late too, so they had extra time. *shrug*

Squat and Boffer, what varieties of broccoli did you grow? I had a few that technically grew larger than the one I posted, but they were all loose and open in structure, so I didn't count them. But even the couple that grew close and compact didn't seem as beefy as the one Squat posted. Mine were a "fall blend" so I'm guessing that there were different varieties growing, which would account for the way the heads grew differently?
gwennifer
gwennifer

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 1414

http://www.bluekeypm.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/22/2011, 2:06 pm

In my spring planting, the cauliflower was 2-3 weeks behind the broccoli. I have plenty of cauli in the freezer so I didn't do a fall planting of it.

I covered one box with shade cloth for a couple weeks when we had our hot spell this year. (was it mid 80s? lol) That really retarded my broccoli head growth. None of them got bigger than 3 inches. Nor did they want to go to flower. So, I just harvested them in the last couple days to have for Thanksgiving. This will be the second year that I've been able to cut the frozen head off the stalk and put it in the freezer. Last year, I thought I goofed by letting the head freeze solid, but it turned out to be the best tasting broccoli ever.

I grew Thompson and Packman; they seem to be pretty standard fare around here.

boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 11/22/2011, 5:06 pm

I also grew Packman broc...
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K 11/22/2011, 5:28 pm

boffer wrote:This head was from this spring, and it's the biggest head I've grown.

Are you referring to the pictures of your 8" caluli? Was this recently harvested or is that an older picture? How many months did it take to grow to this size from when you planted?
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/22/2011, 5:53 pm

AZDYJ2K wrote:
boffer wrote:This head was from this spring, and it's the biggest head I've grown.
Are you referring to the pictures of your 8" caluli? Was this recently harvested or is that an older picture? How many months did it take to grow to this size from when you planted?
This year. Direct seeded the last week in January. Harvested the first week of June.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/22/2011, 8:17 pm

I'm posting a short video linked from my youtube channel soon......

Do we have a new winner though????

Fantastic Cauli Boff Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 593714

Squat - Awesome Harvest cheers
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/22/2011, 8:20 pm

No new winner...this was broccoli contest! Wink
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/22/2011, 8:23 pm

I was referring to the aforementioned video Mr. Cauliflower head cyclops
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/22/2011, 9:32 pm

Can you believe it !!!!!!

Squat - Yours was 8 and 3/8th inches and weighed 1 lb 4 oz.

This one came in at 8 and one quarter inch (obviously 2/8ths) and weighed 1lb 3.5oz.

You still have me beat but how close can one get !!!!

However, I do believe I have one or two perhaps just a tad larger.

This will go down to the wire......hehe.
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/22/2011, 10:46 pm

Just to clarify and keep things fair -- when I started this fun little competition way back when, I stated the diameter would determine the winner as long as it was cut by Dec. 31st. And somewhere in the discussion was the topic of buds- they should be no bigger than match heads and tight, certainly not in the flowering stage. The weight is certainly fun to know too but was not a factor since different stem lengths would change the weight of course! Very Happy Hope this didn't sound too geeky and serious, cause Hey, we're just having fun!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 11/22/2011, 10:53 pm

Haven't you heard, llama momma - it's now cool to be geeky!!! Very Happy
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/22/2011, 11:27 pm

Sounds good to me Sherryeo! rahrah
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/23/2011, 12:31 am

oh yes indeed.....all in good fun. The weight is something that helps me gauge how much i save compared to shop bought but if its inches you want...inches you shall get.

Another soaking hour rain tonight....makes heads bigger !!!!

I will harvest off a big plant tomorrow another large head. I'm sure I have a "9 incha" out there. With the cooler temps, the buds are still nice and tight. I will get a close up pic to verify.

No shenanigans here.....unlike the Boffer and Josh carrot wars Wink

I'll post and you can decide Llamamomma Very Happy
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/23/2011, 9:05 am

I give up!
That's awesome!
Your video is hilarious. Haha, is that your wife in the background laughing at you darn funny tooooo funny!

I really like your scale. Mine is a dial model that you can adjust very easily, but I really like your digital.
Details please!

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/23/2011, 9:16 am

Yes that is my wife laughing AT me..... not WITH me. She thinks I'm nuts.

I went out this AM to inspect the heads after a hard rain last night

.....and......AND ...... bounce
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 11/23/2011, 9:30 am

Love the video, Graham! lol! lol! lol!
1/8"! Ouch!
jane
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 11/23/2011, 1:59 pm

Okay Llamamomma......I need your official judgment ....

Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 53366 Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 53366 Fall Contest - Show us your Biggest Brassica, Broccoli!  - Page 7 53366
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next