Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Being Resourceful Toplef10Being Resourceful 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Being Resourceful I22gcj10Being Resourceful 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Being Resourceful Toplef10Being Resourceful 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Being Resourceful I22gcj10Being Resourceful 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Being Resourceful

+6
nidiyao
Amy in Idaho
Kabaju42
herbarium
boffer
sarahemeline
10 posters

Go down

Being Resourceful Empty Being Resourceful

Post  sarahemeline 3/4/2010, 12:14 pm

Hey!
After pricing a bunch of stuff out at the local Home Depot (and spending most of my garden budget on building those boxes), I'm determined to find resourceful and clever ways to NOT buy materials new by substituting other things in their place.

Store bought grids: all warped.
Substitution ideas: plastic window grids? coated chain link? string? dowels? bamboo? Venetian blinds slats?

Store bought fabric liner: $15 a roll (me=poor)
Substitution ideas: cardboard? (do you puncture holes in it?) cheap cloth from the fabric store? anything else?

I think it would be nice to have a forum about item substitution for any of the following materials, and more:
Box
path (gravel, brick, woodchip, etc)
Vertical climbers
shade
sorting seeds
storing seeds

compost

Let me know what you all think and find out!
Thanks!
Happy Gardening!
sarahemeline

Back to top Go down

Being Resourceful Empty great idea!

Post  boffer 3/4/2010, 12:23 pm

Why don't you start a thread in the general forum to that effect. It will be seen by a lot more people that way. A lot of us garden on a budget, and I'm sure many folks will have suggestions. Watch for posts from Ward-I think he's one of the best at finding free stuff for his garden.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Being Resourceful Empty Re: Being Resourceful

Post  herbarium 3/4/2010, 1:07 pm

Grids - I use lath. I picked them out individually because I didn't need as many as came in a bundle. Also, that way I can check the condition. Old blinds would likely blow away on my property. Dowels might work but I don't know if I would save anything. String is too flexible for me. Bamboo is not sturdy enough. The lath helps prevent cats (including mine) from digging in my garden.

Fabric - I only put fabric under boxes where there is bindweed. Some people call it morning glory. It will come up through almost anything so I used the heavy duty landscape fabric. Where there was just grass I just put the box down and filled it. No problems with grass coming through. You could put cardboard or newspaper down if you want and don't have bindweed.

Boxes - I use douglas fir which should last quite a few years in my dry climate as it has a previous houses where I have lived.

Path - I use straw and leaves (I have tons). Be careful though because it can be slippery. After the grass underneath is killed off I will be putting down wood chips and planting some ground covers. I need to take out some trees so if I can get someone to chip them for me I will have wood chips. Tree pruners will sometimes let you have wood chips for free or cheap because they don't want to have to go dump them somewhere. Watch when they are clearing power lines in your area or doing other pruning.

Vertical - I built the trellises just like Mel says using EMT from the electrical department. They are fantastic - hold up well, just move them to the garage for the winter. There are spiral type supports you can buy at some nurseries and garden centers. I like them too but I don't know if they would save you anything in the long run.

Shade - I haven't needed to worry about that. Shade cloth is sometimes available on sale. Home Depot had some on clearance that is green and has a drawstring because it is designed to place over a potted plant for warmth. You could just pull out the string and use it either from some frost protection or shade.

Seed storage - I store mine in ziplock bags and I use the same bags year after year. Once in a while one tears and needs replaced. I have heard of using film canisters.

Compost - I make my own but it is never enough because I use it on my entire yard - even the lawn. Sometimes you can find it on sale or discounted. If a store has several that are broken sometimes you can get a deal on them. If you know someone with horses, chickens, etc you may be able to get it free or cheap. Also, check with area dairies, etc. I have bought some from Johnny's Dairy in Riverdale, Utah
herbarium

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 150

http://gardeninspire.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 3/4/2010, 9:43 pm

Path:I'm going to try grass for a path. The trick will be that I'll have to dig down my boxes so that the bottom is 4" under the soil. That way the grass roots shouldn't get under them.
Box: I have some planks of wood from a pantry shelf I took apart and I'll be using that for boxes, as well as some wood I got off craigslist
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  Amy in Idaho 3/31/2010, 2:26 am

Boxes: I used free pallets. Just ask. Also, I just learned I know a lot of people in construction who will save wood for you if you ask.

Grid: Lath is $0.35 per 4" length at Home Depot. .35 x 6 = $2.10 per box. I also thought, since I need to make mix as this is my first year, of using large sticks from my birch trees bound with wire at the intersections.

Compost: Know anyone with a farm? I have three garbage cans to rotate my compost. Went to my friends farm and got one garbage can full of chicken droppings and straw, and another of horse, goat and cow droppings with straw. I blended them on a tarp and filled the two back up. Will turn through using the empty garbage can once a day. After all, I can have all I want, she doesn't mind someone cleaning her barn and chicken coop.

Weed paper: Again, know anyone with a farm. I have learned that the heavy duty feed sacks, i.e. purina is using them now, with the grid work plastic woven stuff, keeps even bindweed(?) (morning glory) from coming up. I plan to layer feed sacks then newspaper since both drain well.

I will let you know more as I learn. I like recycling and thinking outside the box (pun intended) so I am sure I will find more ideas.
Amy in Idaho
Amy in Idaho

Female Posts : 53

Back to top Go down

Being Resourceful Empty grids

Post  sarahemeline 3/31/2010, 9:11 am

I found a GREAT substitute for the wood laths (all of which seemed to be crooked at the stores I tried).
I went down the plumbing aisle at Lowes and they have the drip irrigation tubing stuff priced .09-.11 cents per foot. I bought several feet of their smallest tubing that was kind of a milky white in color. I then bought a packet of those small copper-plaited brad nails and went to town.
This is kind of experimental in nature- I don't know how they'll fare by the end of the Fall, but I'll keep you all posted. Smile
sarahemeline

Back to top Go down

Post  nidiyao 3/31/2010, 11:21 am

good idea to use the tubing. i need something that will keep that naughty cats out. Anyone have any recommendations?
Sandy
nidiyao
nidiyao

Female Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/31/2010, 11:25 am

nidiyao wrote:good idea to use the tubing. i need something that will keep that naughty cats out. Anyone have any recommendations?
Sandy
I have not personally tried it but using cocoa hulls for mulch is what neighbors swear by (smells like expensive dark chocolate on warm days). Someone here said holly leaves works for them. There is a thread in the PNW reign on this.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  OahuSFG 3/31/2010, 7:32 pm

nidiyao wrote:good idea to use the tubing. i need something that will keep that naughty cats out. Anyone have any recommendations?
Sandy

I read this tip but haven't tried this yet. Put stakes that are above the ground at least 6" high around the area you want to keep free of cats/dogs in a zig zag pattern. Run clear fishing line on the stakes. Critters will not like the feeling of getting tangled and keep away.
OahuSFG

Female Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/31/2010, 7:44 pm

Sandy
hmmm... maybe plant catnip (mint) in it's own box across the yard from your veggies. place a cage over it so they don't totally destroy the plant. I would use a smaller cage than this one so that some of the plant may grow out. Being Resourceful 2098918610086287859mFcOeC_ph
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  bonnie0128 3/31/2010, 7:51 pm

to keep cats out of my boxes, I placed my grids (using string) then laid plastic chicken wire over the boxes - cut to size then stapled on with a staple gun. As the plants grew, I cut enough room for them to fit through the chicken wire. Worked really well. This year it is a bit of a pain as I have to pull up all the staples to remove the chicken wire (to add compost and plant) and the holes won't line up for the new crop rotation - but it'll be worth it...even if I have to lay down new chicken wire as I still have a lot left.
bonnie0128
bonnie0128

Female Posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum