Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are charcoal briquets unburned dangerous in the garden? Toplef10Are charcoal briquets unburned dangerous in the garden? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are charcoal briquets unburned dangerous in the garden? I22gcj10Are charcoal briquets unburned dangerous in the garden? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are charcoal briquets unburned dangerous in the garden? Toplef10Are charcoal briquets unburned dangerous in the garden? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are charcoal briquets unburned dangerous in the garden? I22gcj10Are charcoal briquets unburned dangerous in the garden? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Are charcoal briquets unburned dangerous in the garden?

+3
acara
UnderTheBlackWalnut
jkahn2eb
7 posters

Go down

Are charcoal briquets unburned dangerous in the garden? Empty Are charcoal briquets unburned dangerous in the garden?

Post  jkahn2eb 8/5/2011, 6:56 pm

Building my frame for shade and trellising during a nice, hot Arizona day... got the frame up which I've made out of PVC pipe. It's basically a giant rectangle suspended 6 ft above the perimeter of the garden.

Up and down lengthwise I've run nylon string down the middle of each row, from which I'll hang nylon down to the plants (tomatoes, peppers, etc) to wrap around plants as the grow to keep them growing up and not out. I wanted to tie the string to something which would be heavy enough as an anchor. Was sitting on the patio thinking when I noticed the bag of charcoal to my left.

Grabbed a briquet and it tied easily to string and when I tied it up so it just barely rested gently on the soil, all looked good.

Of course the briquets are easy-lighting, no fluid required so I'm guessing as I water the garden it'll cause problems. Thoughts? Other suggestions of things lying around the house I could use or purchase expensively?
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Are charcoal briquets unburned dangerous in the garden? Empty Re: Are charcoal briquets unburned dangerous in the garden?

Post  UnderTheBlackWalnut 8/5/2011, 7:09 pm

Here is a link to a recent thread about charcoal ash - from what I've read charcoal probably isn't the best idea.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t8578-charcoal-ash-water-useful-in-garden

If you are planning on stringing tomatoes, you will need to tie the string to something pretty solid. I tried that this summer and by the time the tomatoes get up to about 5 ft, they can be pretty heavy.

I've seen people tie to a stake in the garden, to their grids (if they are wood), even to hooks they've screwed into their boxes. I'm sure others will have more ideas for you.

If you are looking for something for weight - maybe some sort of sandbags, large washers??? thinking
UnderTheBlackWalnut
UnderTheBlackWalnut

Female Posts : 556
Location : Springfield (central), IL, on the line between 5b and 6a

Back to top Go down

Are charcoal briquets unburned dangerous in the garden? Empty Re: Are charcoal briquets unburned dangerous in the garden?

Post  acara 8/5/2011, 9:37 pm

yep .... pretty confident in telling you "easy light" = not good for garden.

Drop a briquette into a cup of water & the film that comes to the top will answer all your questions about whats leaching into yr garden everytime those get wet Shocked ......
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  AZDYJ2K 8/5/2011, 10:12 pm

You could use small landscape rocks as weight also. We have plenty of those around AZ.Smile
AZDYJ2K
AZDYJ2K

Male Posts : 169

Back to top Go down

Post  westx 8/5/2011, 11:00 pm

I would use a 1/2 or 3/4 inch nut or as suggested a rock of some sort.
westx

Male Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 8/5/2011, 11:28 pm

Um...we all know that I'm not a good tomato grower because of my borderline weather from year to year... but if I understand correctly what you're doing, I just tied the bottom of the string to the bottom stem of the tomato plant, near the soil line. It's worked great.

Another option would be to run pvc, or stick(s) of wood across the box, in one direction or another, to tie the strings to.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7370

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 8/6/2011, 12:41 am

Boffer - your idea is simple and logical. I'll try that over all the other great suggestions.

In all honesty, I just wanted to see if I could securely try string around a briquet. cheers
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 8/6/2011, 3:32 pm

I used bricks..I tied the twine through one hole in the brick, ran up over the top bar on my trellis and down through the
second hole.. adding in bricks as necessary. It made the spacing of the lines somewhat adjustable. Right now I have sweet potatoes and a cucumber growing up the lines. It worked very well for one tomato until it died..
sceleste54

Female Posts : 382

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down