Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
potato - 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES Toplef10potato - 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

potato - 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES I22gcj10potato - 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
potato - 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES Toplef10potato - 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

potato - 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES I22gcj10potato - 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES

+8
HouseofWool
Goosegirl
unmadecastle
mijejo
itsablondething
FamilyGardening
boffer
Dunkinjean
12 posters

Go down

potato - 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES Empty 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES

Post  Dunkinjean 7/17/2011, 5:22 pm

Hi everyone!

I am so excited about growing potatoes for the 1st time.

My hubby & I picked them from our potato box on Wed and got about 30 new fingerling potatoes and 3 Kennelbeck potatoes.

We took them to DC and just cooked them up for breakfast this AM - they were delicious!! sunny

I can't wait til we can pick them all when they are full grown....

Fully enjoying my SFG gardens.

Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

potato - 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES Empty Re: 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES

Post  boffer 7/17/2011, 5:36 pm

I'm with you.

Most folks don't realize there is a big difference between store bought and homegrown potatoes. The difference isn't as dramatic as tomatoes or corn, but it's big enough to make it worthwhile to grow my own.

Big agriculture is able to store potatoes up to 6-8 months. No wonder they lose flavor.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

potato - 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES Empty Re: 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES

Post  FamilyGardening 7/17/2011, 5:40 pm

potato - 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES 832433 Congrats on your taters!!!!! potato - 1ST TIME POTATO GROWER AND POTATOES 832433

hugs
rose....agree....there is nothing like a home grown tater!
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 7/17/2011, 5:58 pm

Thank you Boffer and FamilyGardening:

I feel there is nothing like a vegetable from a garden!

I just made homemade fettucini on Friday for dinner with my daughter-in law in DC - there is also nothing like homemade food!

Enjoying my SFG garden.

Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  itsablondething 7/20/2011, 5:24 pm

I'm excited to see what my 'tater plants produce as well. It is a first for me!

Are the tops of the plants dying back for anyone else? I can't tell if mine are dying back, or just flopping over!
itsablondething

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 7/20/2011, 5:42 pm

Mine are dying back, as well. From what I have read, that seems to be okay.
A couple of plants started to bloom, but I pinched them off before they opened. However, most of the plants had no buds.

I plan on waiting until they completely flop over before I unearth them. I understand they are okay for a couple of weeks in that condition, but they should be removed before a heavy rain.

I grew horseradish with mine as a companion plant. I need to check and see how/when to harvest it. That plant is not dying off.
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  itsablondething 7/20/2011, 5:57 pm

I just put in horseradish this year as well! However, I put it back in a corner of my yard where it wasn't likely to spread (or at least not make me upset that it spread). So, I have a bed of mint and horseradish, and they can now spread where they like... back in the back corner of my yard. LOL.

I am anxious to have some fresh horseradish to grind... I remember my grandfather grinding it when I was little.. boy, you didn't want to be upwind of him while he was doing it! I love the taste though!
itsablondething

Back to top Go down

Post  itsablondething 7/20/2011, 5:58 pm

I just saw bags made form growing potatoes.. I am thinking about trying that next year, and using the extra space in my SFG for other things.
itsablondething

Back to top Go down

Post  unmadecastle 7/20/2011, 10:26 pm

We planted red potatoes in buckets this year. One of our buckets died back and we dumped it today. We found plenty of potatoes but they were no good. They were soft and starting to rot.Sad From what I could tell by googling it is a blight. We disposed of the potatoes and the dirt.
unmadecastle
unmadecastle

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 7/20/2011, 10:29 pm

unmadecastle wrote:We planted red potatoes in buckets this year. One of our buckets died back and we dumped it today. We found plenty of potatoes but they were no good. They were soft and starting to rot.Sad From what I could tell by googling it is a blight. We disposed of the potatoes and the dirt.

Mad Mad Mad So sorry about your potatoes! That is heartbreaking!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  HouseofWool 7/21/2011, 7:44 am

That is so disappointing. I am growing my potatoes in containers for the first time this year and I am really concerned that the heat will stunt the potato formation.
HouseofWool

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/21/2011, 9:10 am

I have a question.

mijejo wrote:Mine are dying back, as well. From what I have read, that seems to be okay.
A couple of plants started to bloom, but I pinched them off before they opened. However, most of the plants had no buds. .

My potatoes have lots of blooms, should I be pinching them off? I have not read anywhere else that this should be done but I may have missed it.

So much to learn but never too late.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 7/21/2011, 11:05 am

itsablondething wrote:I just saw bags made form growing potatoes.. I am thinking about trying that next year, and using the extra space in my SFG for other things.

I'm growing potatoes for the first time... in these bags! I'll let everyone know how they do when I harvest them.

I didn't pick the flower buds off my potatoes. Never heard of it or seen it done... and we have LOTS of potatoes grown here in ME. That's one of the reasons I've never grown them, I can buy new potatoes (50# for next to nothing... and in many cases, we have them given to us since dh does work at some of the potato processing plants).
Tril
Tril

Female Posts : 198

Back to top Go down

Post  itsablondething 7/21/2011, 6:35 pm

Tril, I will be anxious to hear how they worked out for you. I'd love to be able to plop that bag in the bag of my flower beds rather than take up numerous sqaures in my raised beds.

I also saw someone recommend growing them in old tired.. starting with one, then stacking them on top of each other and filling with dirt as the "tater plants grow... but I wonder about chemicals from the tires leaching into the dirt.
itsablondething

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 7/21/2011, 10:17 pm

Tires make GREAT growing containers... I grew HUGE zukes in them. The black rubber absorbs the heat. Just have to keep them watered well! Smile
Tril
Tril

Female Posts : 198

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 8/27/2011, 7:57 pm

What do you do with all the soil after harvesting the potatoes?

Can I use the same box for growing potatoes again?

Tks.
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 8/27/2011, 9:55 pm

That is one place where rotating matters. Because of the issues of fungal infections in potatoes it is wise not to use the same dirt year after year. I would simply distribute it on your current beds if it is MM. Otherwise give the yard a treat.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/27/2011, 9:56 pm

I think I remember reading that the answer is No!. The answer will be on one of the potato threads. I will try and see if I can find it.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 8/28/2011, 1:33 am

Two words, POTATO BLIGHT!!!!!!!
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 8/28/2011, 7:42 am

If one should not reuse the soil/MM in which the potato grew, can it safely be used elsewhere in the SFG? What are the pros and cons of dumping it in the composter?
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down