Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN? Toplef10Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN? I22gcj10Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN? Toplef10Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN? I22gcj10Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN?

+6
middlemamma
boffer
HouseofWool
mijejo
camprn
kputikka
10 posters

Go down

Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN? Empty Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN?

Post  kputikka 6/19/2011, 3:37 pm

I am reading some of the other posts on the forum where they talk about winter crops?! Is it just plain too cold here in MN for winter crops? It can get to -30 degrees some winters here... Looking for an expert to chime in. Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN? 601593
kputikka

Back to top Go down

Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN? Empty Re: Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN?

Post  camprn 6/19/2011, 3:44 pm

For winter growing you will need a green house, heat and lights. Now, you can seed stuff in your regular garden in late fall and have it start growing as soon as the snow melts in spring. Onions, garlic, spinach and the like can be planted in late October for spring head start. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN? Empty Re: Its early but I'm curious...Winter gardening possible in MN?

Post  mijejo 6/19/2011, 3:51 pm

camprn wrote:For winter growing you will need a green house, heat and lights. Now, you can seed stuff in your regular garden in late fall and have it start growing as soon as the snow melts in spring. Onions, garlic, spinach and the like can be planted in late October for spring head start. Very Happy

I want to learn more about that as soon as possible. Let's all discuss what can be seeded in late Fall, what can continue to "over winter", and anything else that we need to know soon to stock up on seeds and appropriate equipment.
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  HouseofWool 6/19/2011, 3:59 pm

I am in Wisconsin and have to say that planting onions early this years seems to have backfired as many of the plants have put up flowers because of the crazy temperature swings we have had this year.
HouseofWool

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/19/2011, 4:04 pm

If you have something to add, use the quote button; I think we should all be able to add to the list that way.

CAN BE STORED IN THE GROUND, HARVESTED AS NEEDED
(if you can keep your ground from freezing with mulch or other means)

potatoes, carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips

CAN HANDLE BEING FROZEN ON THE STALK

broccoli, brussel sprouts

ON THE STALK, NEEDS PROTECTION FROM FREEZING

lettuce, spinach

PLANT IN LATE FALL FOR SPRING/SUMMER HARVEST

onions, garlic
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 6/19/2011, 4:45 pm

I planted potato onions and garlic around Halloween last year and they are so beautiful. They were the first things to pop up green in the garden and warmed my heart earlier than the sun warmed the soil.

www.wegrowgarlic.com is a garlic farm that grows Garlic in MN (or maybe Wisconsin) but one of those freakishly cold places, so they are a great resource for the garlic.

Here is a couple links about the potato onions.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3900-sese-has-large-potato-onions-for-sale
http://www.southernexposure.com/yellow-potato-onion-hill-mother-or-pregnant-onion-8-oz-p-873.html
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/19/2011, 8:59 pm

Hey guys,

I am pretty far south in the region, so I will need your help from up north. We can tackle this together this year, though. I will put something together regarding the basics to season extension and overwintering and the requirements. We will, however, have to banter a bit back and forth about how low our temps get and where we are so we can approach this a bit scientifically. I, personally, only want to get a few weeks either side of my seasons. But, obviously, some of you want to make a run at winter gardening where it isn't supposed to be possible. The requirements will be different for each of our "houses."

If boffer and staf74 see this, I could sure use their help....as well as anyone else that wants to jump in.

Here are a couple of links, too, that may help you prepare mentally in advance. But, if you can get me fall frost dates so I know better when we need to start focusing on this it would be even better.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t6953-heated-hoop-houses?highlight=hoop+house+experiment

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t5254-hoop-house-issuehow-to-solve-please?highlight=hoop+house+experiment

This is something I had planned on working on already. But, if we all put our heads together, we can make this a learning experience for everybody.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 6/23/2011, 4:02 pm

carrots?! Really, that is music to my ears. As for keeping our beds from freezing, would surrounding the boxes with straw bales work? I'm in cincy region. We get to single digits with wind chills of 0 to a little negative, at times.

I had planned on overwintering garlic.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 6/23/2011, 5:03 pm

i found this blog post to be very interesting.
http://www.oeffa.org/tips.php?sjt=winter

looks like I'll be looking for big rocks while the kids are swimming in the local swimming hole in a creek.

Last edited by madnicmom on 6/23/2011, 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add content.)
madnicmom
madnicmom

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 6/23/2011, 8:18 pm

The winter gardening threads always get me to bite....as BBG alluded to, look at the threads he posted and read over what we did for winter season extension.

These threads might give you some additional ideas also...

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t4622-winterizing-experiment?highlight=winterizing+experiment

and....
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t4686-winterizing-update?highlight=winterizing+experiment

For me, you really need to get the Eliot Coleman book, "The Winter Harvest Handbook." THIS IS A MUST FOR WINTER GARDENING IMO.

This book will give you the actual science that it is indeed possible to do it even in your zone (he too deals with staggering negative temps in Northern Maine) but you will have to build a good knowledge base and set-up BEFORE the winter sets in, so great time to get going, even if the winter seems so far away right now.

Another very important thing to consider with winter gardening is that you will get very little but probably NO growth from any plant once the day length drops below 10 hours. Depending on your latitude that might be a good part of winter. So you need to plan and get the crops that CAN tolerate cold temps mature and in enough numbers to harvest from them throughout the winter. The important distinction here is that you are not relying on the crop growing throughout the winter because without supplemental light, it will not....but rather that you have a large mature crop of hardy plants you started in the fall that will survive through the relatively mild climate inside your protection that you will harvest from throughout the winter.

Hope this helps.....

I am only in SC on a latitude of 35 degrees and will try two beds this year full of Spinach and Kale (crazy cold hardy). I'm hoping to harvest all through this winter. Eliot Coleman even gives you the specific varieties of the cold hardy plants that do the best in frigid temps.

Good luck.
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 6/23/2011, 11:11 pm

This will help calculate when your day length, for wherever you live, starts to drop below the "magic 10 hour growth threshold" in the fall and when it resumes in the early spring.

There's a few of these daylight calculators out there but I like this one.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=159&month=11&year=2011&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

I chose Minneapolis but you could find a closer locale of course. Minneapolis drops below 10 hours on or around November 4/5th and resumes above 10 hours on or around Feb 6th. That's quite a long time but will certainly help with your planning. If you then count back from that date around 50 days for spinach to mature (that's on the longer side but added a few extra days for maturity as you are doing it in the colder temps) so that puts your last possible planting date for spinach from seed, to make it through the whole winter, at around the middle of September. Using transplants from a nursery will up that to perhaps October but most nurseries will not be planning on business at that time and so I'm guessing you won't find any to purchase and your own set-up will be the only option.

Now it also just so happens that the first frost date for Minneapolis is on average 9/15 so you are going to have to grow that entire crop in a protected greenhouse or hoop house type of environment (at least for night-time initially) to get the growth you want. Great table below for seeing first/last frost dates for your area.

http://www.victoryseeds.com/frost/mn.html

You can certainly start earlier than 9/15 but even with a spinach crop planted earlier, you are going to run into that first frost date and will need protection if temps get below 30 for spinach (it will take less than that but no sense stressing it out too much and slowing growth). Below 26 and you risk death.

I know I have assumed a lot here (using Spinach as an example and choosing Minneapolis) but you can use the links provided to get an idea of how you might plan for a winter garden. For most of MN winter plantings, depending on crop, one might begin as early as late August to mature in time and be of harvesting size over the winter.

That is only 8 weeks away !!!!! Crazy huh.....and summer has only begun !!!!
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 6/23/2011, 11:51 pm

Told you Staf was good, didn't I? Great posts, dude.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/24/2011, 5:49 pm

Winter gardening in my neck of the woods, Zone 5a in Maine, means starting cold-hardy crops in late fall and allowing them to grow into early winter, maybe up to December.
The needs are a hoop house within a hoop house for double protection from cold or a coldframe with insulation around the sides and over the top.

Things like spinach, claytonia, Arugula, Corn Salad/Mache, Mizuna, Tokyo bekana, and a winter lettuce, like Winter Density, January King Cabbage, Needles and Purple Cape Cauliflowers, Falstaff Brussels Sprouts and a few other cold-hardy greens can be sown in the beds.

The other thing is to put herbs in pots to take indoors and also to allow a tomato sucker or two to take root and plant in a pot to get some tomatoes indoors, if you have lights or a very sunny window handy. A small determinate would be best for a potted tomato.

The other alternative is to grow a few things that over-winter. They can be buried in the snow thru the winter season and in the spring they are the first to pop up their pretty heads and go green. Things like Purple Sprouting Broccoli and Maystar cauliflower. Parsnips are better the next spring after being in the cold ground all winter.

If you hunt the fall seed catalogs, you can find many crops of interest for winter crops.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 6/24/2011, 11:24 pm

Thanks, Cincinnati hits 10 hours on Nov 16th and falls from there. It back to 10 hours on Jan 26th. First frost date is 10/13. thanks for all the info.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Back to top Go down

Post  madnicmom 6/29/2011, 2:19 pm

thank you Staf74 for the book recommendation, I picked it up yesterday afternoon and can't put it down. It's a wealth of information.
madnicmom
madnicmom

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 6/29/2011, 11:35 pm

No worries Madnicmom !!!

That book is sooo much more than winter gardening isn't it? I just love his style.

QB makes great points also and so many ideas for specific varieties. BBG - right back "atcha" pal, I learned through much trial and error with you. In fact, this is why this forum is ace. People sharing info that helps to make real change across this country in so many different climates for an awesome cause: growing food and becoming more independent AND healthy.

I just love it.

Now its your job to pay the tip forward and get another out there to read some Eliot Coleman......AFTER they have read Mel's books at least TWICE first of course Very Happy
staf74
staf74

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down