Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
how many leeks do you plant per square? Toplef10how many leeks do you plant per square? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

how many leeks do you plant per square? I22gcj10how many leeks do you plant per square? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
how many leeks do you plant per square? Toplef10how many leeks do you plant per square? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

how many leeks do you plant per square? I22gcj10how many leeks do you plant per square? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by sanderson Today at 3:39 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

how many leeks do you plant per square?

+3
sfg4uKim
camprn
GloriaG
7 posters

Go down

how many leeks do you plant per square? Empty how many leeks do you plant per square?

Post  GloriaG 10/4/2010, 12:46 pm

I thought I'd try putting some leek seeds in this fall for spring harvesting.
But I don't know how many to plant per square.

Can someone help please?

Thanks
Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

how many leeks do you plant per square? Empty Re: how many leeks do you plant per square?

Post  camprn 10/4/2010, 1:13 pm

OH I SO wish I could be saying this! Alas I will have to start them in February inside the house.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

how many leeks do you plant per square? Empty Re: how many leeks do you plant per square?

Post  sfg4uKim 10/4/2010, 1:50 pm

Look at the seed packet.

If it says to thin to 12 inches = 1 per square
Thin to 6" = 4 per square
Thin to 4" = 9 per square
Thin to 3" = 16 per square

Hope this helps,
Kim

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

how many leeks do you plant per square? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 10/4/2010, 1:53 pm

Well, onions are 9 so they wouldn't be less than that and I would venture more. So my guess would be 16. However read your packet and use the following guide:

1 per square foot: plants that are thinned or planted 12 inches apart.
4 per square foot: plants that are thinned or planted 6-8 inches apart.
9 per square foot: plants that are thinned or planted 4 inches apart.
16 per square foot: plants that are thinned or planted 3 inches apart.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

how many leeks do you plant per square? Empty how many leeks do you plant per square?

Post  GloriaG 10/4/2010, 2:37 pm

Thanks Chopper and ksroman,

I read the package and it says "thin to 6" apart" so I'll try two squares of 4 per square.
I'll see how that goes.

Thanks,
Gloria
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 10/4/2010, 3:20 pm

I plant closer together, then start pulling alternate ones as soon as they are big enough to start using. I will use down to about fat, kindergarten pencil size, ~ 1/2" (1 cm for most of the rest of the world) and bigger. By the time the leftovers are big, they are far enough apart to suit the "normal" spacing recommendations. Since leeks don't have a super extensive root system (especially when young), you can pull them pretty easily from MM without disturbing the rest. If you miss any of the "tweeners", you'll have to pull them together when they get big (and you end with 2 slightly smaller leeks if they're too close together).
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/4/2010, 4:06 pm

Odd Duck wrote:I plant closer together, then start pulling alternate ones as soon as they are big enough to start using. I will use down to about fat, kindergarten pencil size, ~ 1/2" (1 cm for most of the rest of the world) and bigger. By the time the leftovers are big, they are far enough apart to suit the "normal" spacing recommendations. Since leeks don't have a super extensive root system (especially when young), you can pull them pretty easily from MM without disturbing the rest. If you miss any of the "tweeners", you'll have to pull them together when they get big (and you end with 2 slightly smaller leeks if they're too close together).
+1 This is how I seed and manage a lot of the stuff I plant including beets, lettuces, spinach & chard.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 10/4/2010, 4:16 pm

Old Duck,

Does that mean you'd plant 9 and pull the center ones? Or would you go even closer?

Thanks
Gloria
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 10/4/2010, 5:27 pm

First time a planted leeks by seed, I went 4" apart and got very few plants by the time I was done and it took FOREVER! The next time I planted leeks, I planted by slips and put them about 2" apart and I haven't bought leeks since then. I just pull out the biggest ones, replant any little ones that are growing around the big ones about 2" apart, then repeat (like washing your hair Laughing ). If you eat a lot of leeks, you better buy quite a few to start with, but if you go easy on them the first few years, you can produce your own slips this way.
Odd Duck

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 10/4/2010, 6:04 pm

Old Duck,

That's a wonderful way to handle it. I'm starting seed inside - so I'll plant them 16 per square (a little less than you did) and pull the ones out in between. I'll also keep re-planting the tiny ones if there are any.

I like trying new things, and since it's my first year gardening, I haven't done any squares that I've thinned that way yet. I'm excited to see what happens.

The reason I'm planting my leeks now is that - I'm trying an experiment - This bed will have my leeks, garlic, beets, spinach and lettuce. Once the weather gets a little cooler, I'm going to cover it with double-walled poly that has a zipper in it for access and see if I can keep the bed productive all winter long. I'll use black milk jugs for added warmth and add a blanket if it gets really cold at night. If we have a hard winter like last year - it probably won't survive, but if we have a mild one, perhaps I can have produce in December and January.

Thanks so much for your help.
Gloria
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 10/4/2010, 6:35 pm

You should be able to get all that through easily with a cover. The leeks and garlic don't even need covered at all. The carrots and beets should also weather through just fine. The leafy greens will frost, so need to be covered for a heavy frost, a freeze, or heavy snow. I had lettuce, carrots, broccoli, raab and chard from my cold frames all winter and had onions and garlic anytime I wanted (but had to actually dig it out once rather than just pull it since the surface had frozen a bit).
Odd Duck

Back to top Go down

how many leeks do you plant per square? Empty Gardening all winter

Post  GloriaG 10/4/2010, 7:50 pm

Odd Duck - that's SUPER!!!!! bounce bounce bounce bounce
GloriaG

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 10/5/2010, 6:10 am

Leeks are smaller than onions...so you could go at least with onions, and maybe more.

Ferry-Morse says to thin to 4"
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  ribsyhuggins 10/5/2010, 10:41 am

mel says one leek per 1 square foot.
in his article in OG in feb 1996 p28.
ribsyhuggins

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 10/5/2010, 11:28 am

Having looked at a half-dozen seed sites across the internet (both Europe and the US) -- it varies pretty widely depending on variety.

I think the seed packet holds as the overruling authority if in doubt.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down