Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then? Toplef10Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then? I22gcj10Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then? Toplef10Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then? I22gcj10Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then?

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then? Empty Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then?

Post  NHGardener 5/14/2011, 10:58 pm

Are we planting during the full moon in this zone? And if so, which seeds?

According to Mel, corn seeds can go in now, as well as green beans, summer squash... those are on my list anyway.

Is May 17 too early?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then? Empty Re: Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then?

Post  camprn 5/15/2011, 12:18 pm

Old Farmer's Almanac Best Planting dates is a good chart, just plug in your zip code for your dates. NH I bet we have the same dates. I am planning to plant a bunch of my summer seed, just about everything that I have beds ready for is going in. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14168

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then? Empty Re: Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then?

Post  NHGardener 5/15/2011, 12:34 pm

Ah! Well, according to that, fav. moon dates for corn is not until June 1-3, but I planted my lettuce during the fav. moon dates. Smile Bean fav. moon dates are now. Squash May 20-27 but apparently the moon doesn't care about them. Smile

So in summary, yeah, just throw everything in. Smile Sure doesn't look like we're going to be dealing with frost again, if it ever stops being drizzly...

(except the pepper and tomato transplants - but I'm not waiting more than another week for those otherwise they just might die on me here in the house - first warm spell, they're swimming in the dirt pool)
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/15/2011, 1:11 pm

NHGardener wrote:So in summary, yeah, just throw everything in. Smile Sure doesn't look like we're going to be dealing with frost again, if it ever stops being drizzly...
I am totally loving working in the rain instead of feeding the blackflies, they suck!
NHGardener wrote:
(except the pepper and tomato transplants - but I'm not waiting more than another week for those otherwise they just might die on me here in the house - first warm spell, they're swimming in the dirt pool)
You may want to transplant into larger containers. I just had to transplant my heirloom tomatoes into 14 oz. beer cups, which I picked up at the dollar store. There are 3 reasons I did this:

1. The plants were too big for the plastic cells they were in.
  2. I am waiting for a week or more to put them in the garden because I just do not trust that we are yet frost free.
  3. Planting the stem into these deep cups will allow for more root growth, so that when I do plant them in the garden they will have a more extensive root system.
Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/15/2011, 1:16 pm

Ugh... Do I really have to up-plant them? I'm sick of up-planting......

Okay, fine, I'll up-plant.

Very Happy
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/15/2011, 1:22 pm

NHGardener wrote:Ugh... Do I really have to up-plant them? I'm sick of up-planting......

Okay, fine, I'll up-plant.

Very Happy
Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then? 679265 Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then? 418730 It will be worth it! your plants will love you so much they will have a growth spurt!!!
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/15/2011, 2:06 pm

http://www.suite101.com/content/how-to-pot-up-tomato-seedlings-a52116
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/15/2011, 2:44 pm

I'm down to one grow light light bulb (my 2nd one burned out). It's hard to fit the containers in my inadequate grow light station. I think that's the hardest part.

Between now and next year I am going to invest in a better nursery setup. It's really important if you're going to try to grow your own seeds. I underestimated that.

Edit: It's absolutely pouring out right now. Will my lettuce seeds, scattered above ground, survive? I might have to replant... I'll bet they might be getting washed off in the rain.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/15/2011, 3:17 pm

NHGardener wrote:I'm down to one grow light light bulb (my 2nd one burned out). It's hard to fit the containers in my inadequate grow light station. I think that's the hardest part.
Do you happen to have a 3 season porch? That is where most of my summer transplants are holding for the next week or so.

NHGardener wrote:
Edit: It's absolutely pouring out right now. Will my lettuce seeds, scattered above ground, survive? I might have to replant... I'll bet they might be getting washed off in the rain.
I sowed lettuce seed yesterday too, they should be fine, if not, I will sow again. It poured here a while ago, this is a good thing! Doesn't everything look fabulous when it's green? Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/15/2011, 3:50 pm

camprn wrote:Do you happen to have a 3 season porch? That is where most of my summer transplants are holding for the next week or so.

Sniff, no, but you're lucky you have one! I think I'd set up a greenhouse situation out there if I had one.

camprn wrote:I sowed lettuce seed yesterday too, they should be fine, if not, I will sow again. It poured here a while ago, this is a good thing! Doesn't everything look fabulous when it's green? Very Happy

You mean you can see thru your raindrops in this gray weather? What a Face

How will you know if your lettuce seeds washed away - just wait a few days and see if there are any sprouts?

Weather forecast: M - 55; T - 60; W - 62; Th - 65; F - 68; S/S - 70
At least we're heading in the right direction...
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/15/2011, 8:06 pm

camprn, I couldn't take it anymore, looking outside at all that wonderful irrigation falling from the sky, I gave in and planted all the frost-date plantings - corn, beans, squash & zucchini. I figure by the time they poke their heads out, it will be warmer and sunny. Smile
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/15/2011, 8:18 pm

You go girl!!! I am planting some of the same tomorrow and the next day! What a Face
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/16/2011, 1:52 am

I'm not in your zone but the day after the full moon I am planting red and gold beets, one square each. Very Happy
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 5/16/2011, 8:04 am

camprn wrote:
NHGardener wrote:I'm down to one grow light light bulb (my 2nd one burned out). It's hard to fit the containers in my inadequate grow light station. I think that's the hardest part.
Do you happen to have a 3 season porch? That is where most of my summer transplants are holding for the next week or so.

NHGardener wrote:
I sowed lettuce seed yesterday too, they should be fine, if not, I will sow again. It poured here a while ago, this is a good thing! Doesn't everything look fabulous when it's green? Very Happy

Yup, and when the sun shines on them, all the different shades of greens makes a very welcome sight after all that drab bareness. I love my evergreens and variegated shrubs. I went for alpines but came home with a purple and green hebe last month and I've splashed out on two variegated holly.

Anything with a tray under it is swimming right now but better than gone brown and crispy. Seedlings have loved this rain. I've put a half 2 litre plastic bottle plastic or glass bell jar cloche over some lettuce seed and rigged up a plastic bag tent for carrots. The bell cloche is made from an old glass carboy with the bottom taken out.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/16/2011, 7:02 pm

camprn, it's supposed to be in the high 70s this weekend! Just the time our little ones will be peeking at the sky, it's going to get nice and warm... albino
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/20/2011, 8:56 pm

Camprn, has anything you planted last week sprouted yet? It's been 5 days since I planted lettuce, peas, and some other things, and nothing has sprouted yet. I'm a little worried, esp. about the cold weather vegetables, I would've thought they would have sprung up more quickly than this.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/20/2011, 9:37 pm

Yup, just this morning the lettuce poked up, you should see something this weekend
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/20/2011, 10:56 pm

Uh oh. Now I'm really nervous. If I don't see any this weekend, I think I'll replant the lettuce, and then keep an eye on the peas.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/21/2011, 4:23 am

My 2 squares of bush beans (Roma II & Blue Bush) just poked their heads up this morning. Each square is missing 1 bean sprout, If they are not up when I check the garden after work I will replant those. cheers Still waiting for Edemema soil inoculent to start planting those. This summer I will be the bean queen, I hope.
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/21/2011, 8:28 am

Shannon I saw photos of someone's raised beds in Florida (not on this forum) and they were amazing. He said yesterday he ate one of his watermelons.

I really envy the Florida growing season right about now.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/21/2011, 9:24 am

I finally put in radishes and resowed beets yesterday. I will be doing a lot of planting of seed this afternoon but I have to find the bugspray first, with all the rain the skeeters are out with a vengeance.
Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then? Mosquito-smiley
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/21/2011, 12:37 pm

For better or for worse, I transplanted my tomatoes this morning. It was hot and sunny and they were anywhere between 4" and 8" tall, plus my indoor setup isn't the best. So there they are, I sprinkled some blood and bone meal in the soil when I transplanted, I hope they do okay. I'm one seedling short for tomatoes, so I'm thinking I'll buy one of those big beautiful 18" high babies I've seen at the grocery store (or wherever). (I couldn't believe how big and beautiful Market Basket's tomato and pepper plants were... wow. Puts my seedlings to shame.)

And then I planted all the rest of my seed plants.

And I'm still waiting to transplant the peppers because I think it might be too cool yet, and I have a couple straggly eggplant seedlings but I should probably see if I can find them at Agway or somewhere instead.

My lettuce is sprouting! It was hard to see unless you stood right next to them, but there they are! And I think I see one pea plant starting to emerge.

Supposed to have some more rain and more cool weather I think tomorrow, but then it's supposed to get hot after that, so keeping my fingers crossed...

Oh, I should probably pull up one of my grocery store potatoes too, those have been in the pot for a week, if they haven't sprouted at all I'll look for seed potatoes at Agway too, and throw those in there.

So many things to do differently for next year... Mostly having to do with optimum seedling growth conditions.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/21/2011, 12:55 pm

NH Gardener, are you having fun yet? What a Face Wink
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/21/2011, 1:43 pm

YAH!!!!! hyper

But I'll be having more fun once I start believing this is actually going to work. Smile
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Full Moon is May 17th - What are we planting then? Empty Uh oh.

Post  NHGardener 5/21/2011, 8:07 pm

After transplanting my tomatoes today, it's now turned pretty cold and won't get out of the 50s tomorrow. I hope it's not too chilly for them. I hope I haven't doomed them. Glad I held back on the peppers.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next