Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio Toplef10Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio I22gcj10Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio Toplef10Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio I22gcj10Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio

4 posters

Go down

Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio Empty Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio

Post  scooter 5/13/2011, 11:59 am

Hi All,

Have been lurking around the forums for a few weeks now, finally decided to up and post. I know how everyone likes pictures, so I will try to get some up soon to show off where we are.

My name is Scott, and I have never gardened before in my life. For that matter, I have never really done yard work or so much as maintained a house plant. My better half, Sara, pretty much took care of the houseplants (mostly aloe and a few other succulents) and the front yard flower beds.

We have a small back yard, most of it taken up by concrete patio and a 2 car detatched garage. There used to be a tree shading everything, but we had it removed last year because it was nearly dead and even a light wind would cover our patio with sticks.

Back in March, Sara got ahold of the New SFG book, started reading it and telling me stuff... next thing I remember, I pretty much had read the book from cover to cover. I was hooked. I love the learn by doing approach, so I have made a few mistakes along the way but have fully enjoyed it thus far.

We now have 3- 4x4x6 Composite Lumber Beds - bought the last 3 SFG branded kits at our Home Depot crazy cheap.
We kind of goofed with our MM... We did find Coarse Vermiculite relatively easily, Peat Moss was no problem, but 5 kinds of compost became tricky. We were able to acquire 4 kinds in bags. But just about everywhere - nurseries included - only carried cow manure. Did find chickity doo doo at one place, but was not paying $40 per 25lb bag. The others were mushroom compost, posy power, and a blended forest products compost home depot was closing out. To get the 5th... we used Horse Manure (compost) from our friend's horse farm. They do not use herbicides (they are very earthy people) so we figured it should be fine. What I did not realize, nor had I even discovered this forum yet, was that horse manure can be full of seeds. For only being a small part of the overall MM, there are little seedlings popping up everywhere. So I am paying the price by having to pluck them all out as I go.

The good news is... everything I have planted so far is doing great! Sugar Snap Peas, Pinto Beans, Cow Beans, Green Beans, Nantes Carrots, Romaine Lettuce, Collards, Parsley, Cauliflower are all doing great. Seedlings are emerging for Bright Lights Swiss Chard and Spinach, but with this weird Ohio weather I am not sure how well the Spinach will do...

Still got many many squares to go... Ive got basil and pepper seedlings indoors going out soon, and picking up tomato plants this afternoon. Any suggestions for other things to plant?

...whew, that was windy, sorry for the long post!
Scott
scooter

Back to top Go down

Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio Empty Re: Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio

Post  middlemamma 5/13/2011, 12:02 pm

FANTASTIC! WELCOME TO THE FORUM SO GLAD TO HAVE YOU!
Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio 396615 Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio 396615 Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio 396615
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio Empty Re: Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio

Post  Kelejan 5/13/2011, 12:13 pm

Hi scooter; Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio 396615

What a fantastic start for a complete newbie to gardening.

Just wait until you and your Sara start eating the stuff, you wont believe the difference to store bought.

I cannot wait for my tomatoes and strawberries and lettuce to start producing, sometime in the distant future up here in Canada. The lettuce I bought was tough and bitter although it looked good; the toms did not taste of anything and were rather like rocks, and I am afraid I will never look at strawberries out of season.

Kelejan
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6014

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  WolfHeart 5/13/2011, 12:54 pm

Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio 396615 to the forums Scooter!

You sound like me....My DW got the book because she was 'interested'. I started reading it too and then totally took it away from her. I had to get another book from the library just so she could finish it herself.

I am now hooked....and am already planning for two more boxes next year (unless i can find free wood somewhere and secretly build them Hello from a gardening newb in Ohio 168939 )

Anyway welcome to the boards, I can't wait to see pictures of your lovely gardens.
WolfHeart
WolfHeart

Male Posts : 159

http://wolfheart68.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down