Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Have your ark built yet? Toplef10Have your ark built yet? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Have your ark built yet? I22gcj10Have your ark built yet? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Have your ark built yet? Toplef10Have your ark built yet? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Have your ark built yet? I22gcj10Have your ark built yet? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Have your ark built yet?

+2
CindiLou
BackyardBirdGardner
6 posters

Go down

Have your ark built yet? Empty Have your ark built yet?

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/26/2011, 8:46 pm

Things will be getting serious in several places we have members due to all the heavy, persistent rains lately. I would normally put this in my region, but I feel there are enough of you in the Upper and Middle South regions that need to see this, too.

I know I'm not breaking any news, but I want you to see where I pull this stuff from so you can file it away as a resource when trouble presents itself in the future....and we know it will. So, here come some links...

Overall, significant flooding outlook for the nation through NOAA.gov
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/nationalfloodoutlook/

Here is the STL area river forecasts....click around using the directional in the top left corner or zoom out and click on the map of the US closer to your home...
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=lsx

Once you are on the zoomed in map, click on the nearest river station to you and you can get info like this near my wife's work. I clicked the red square in Valley Park just west of St. Louis...
http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=lsx&gage=vllm7&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1"

If you scroll down in the Valley Park screen, below the map of the crest forecast, you will see record heights of historic waters. But, if you scroll down to the very bottom, you will see common landmarks and when they flood. You can use this with the above forecasted crest to see if you are in imminent danger.

That's the basics of the flooding portion of the site. Two reasons I feel it's important to share this with you guys. 1- Not everyone can sit and wait around for the local news to tell them what their river is doing. 2- You can use this to watch family that lives across the nation from you and warn them before their news will. (I have done this plenty of times with my family.)
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2710

Back to top Go down

Have your ark built yet? Empty Re: Have your ark built yet?

Post  CindiLou 4/26/2011, 9:21 pm

Thank you BBG...I have no rivers near me that are near flooding.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 4/26/2011, 9:56 pm

None near me either but let me thank you for your diligence and thoughtfulness in posting all of your various weather update threads.

Much appreciated !!! Stay dry my friend.
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 544

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/26/2011, 11:16 pm

Staf, we were on vacation in '09 along the Grand Strand in N. Myrtle Beach. We came down through the Outer Banks and Raliegh and went back through Columbia and Greeneville. I loved that vacation more than any I've been on before. You all in the Carolinas have my heart should I ever be able to return. What a beautiful part of the world you have.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2710

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/26/2011, 11:58 pm

The other day there was this old man, who was herding some animals down the road and looking for gopher wood...

Thanks Ander!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7370

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/27/2011, 7:55 am

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:Staf, we were on vacation in '09 along the Grand Strand in N. Myrtle Beach. We came down through the Outer Banks and Raliegh and went back through Columbia and Greeneville. I loved that vacation more than any I've been on before. You all in the Carolinas have my heart should I ever be able to return. What a beautiful part of the world you have.

We think so. Vacation Varietyland used to be on the license plates.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4370

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/28/2011, 2:07 pm

I have not yet had a chance to check out all of BBG's links, so forgive me if I'm reposting something.

The Mississippi River is expected to crest near one of the top the records it has ever crested. The Ohio is supposed to crest higher than ever before. Both of these crests are not expected until mid-May. The Ohio and Mississippi meet near Cairo IL, Cairo is being evacuated. There is a debate between IL & MO regarding blowing a hole in a levy and saving the town, or losing farm land. Please keep your discussion to this to a minimum, if at all, that is not my point in posting, I feel deeply for both sides.

What does this mean for those who missed the weather, but are below these two rivers meeting (not to mention the other creeks and rivers that drain into the Mississippi River)? Flooding!!! The Mississippi goes to the Gulf, right by New Orleans. Even if we see no more significant rainfall, those who live near rivers that drain down into the south are in for some adventures.

I've seen first hand the tragedy of flooding, and one of our members here, Nancy, has her SFG under water due to the Ohio's flooding. It's not just an immediate problem, when I was younger it caused empty spaces on the shelves of the grocery store, yes I am going there again, one more reason to keep needed items on hand. I was talking to the lady who owned the feed store down the road, a while back parts of Dallas were with out power for a few days, the stores were empty within a day. She got a call from her daughter who said some of their friends were on their way here, they had run out of food.

I'm not trying to start another debate on food storage so please don't go there, I'm just saying that all this weather related stuff is not over and will not be for some time. Just because you will not be directly affected by this flooding does not mean you will not see shortages in your area. All I am saying is start shopping smart, stock up on a few needed items, buy an extra package of toilet paper instead of an extra Happy Meal, buy an extra loaf of bread or two and keep them in the freezer, small things like that. People today hear shortage on the news and go nuts, don't get caught in the rush or the aftermath of nothing on the shelves.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down