Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 Toplef10Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 I22gcj10Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 Toplef10Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 I22gcj10Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Please post pics of starter compost pile

+7
camprn
martha
walshevak
boffer
GlassHen
Old Hippie
buttaflie143
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 Empty Re: Please post pics of starter compost pile

Post  buttaflie143 4/25/2011, 6:37 pm

Will grass clippings cause a problem?
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 Empty Re: Please post pics of starter compost pile

Post  camprn 4/25/2011, 6:46 pm

in the summer I use the green grass clippings to get my pile really heating up because they are full of nitrogen!!! Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 311672 I try to be really careful with my grass clippings and loosely shake them when I add to the pile. Clumps of fresh grass clippings can become matted, anaerobic, foul smelling and slimy. This is not desirable. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/25/2011, 7:34 pm

Take a deep breath and think about working backwards...

Mel says to use 5 different types of composts. That is your long term objective. How can you accomplish that with the least amount of impact on your lifestyle? I'm more than happy to tell you that I'm thrilled about the harvests I get using five composts. But I can only suggest ideas about how you can accomplish the same. You have to figure out how you can make it happen in a sustainable manner. Compost is what makes SFG work. It can be free or nearly free. There's no plastic packaging to dispose of, trips to the store, sales tax, transportation costs on the manufacturers side, etc. It's as green as you can get.

In this day and age, part of the problem is space. Some folks can barely find room for SFG boxes on their city lots, let alone compost piles. Also, heaven forbid, there should be a pile of 'stuff' sitting on the ground next to the house or fence line. Only you can decide if there is 'space'. It really doesn't take that much.

There are several ways to approach this compost thing. Try to mix everything at once in the right ratio, or have separate piles of finished composts to mix together, or a combination. Starting out, ideally, you would have a pile of each stuff sitting on the ground to compost. That would give you a chance to see that 10 cf of leaves will break down to less than 1 cf of compost. You would see that composting grass by itself is a stinky, gross, heavy process, that is not pleasant at all. You could have manures by the measured bucket full and find that they don't compost down nearly as much as plant material.

Or, you could remember that closies count. You could compost some stuff on the ground (like leaves), then stick it in your composter with equal parts of grass, and each type of manures. The best solution is figuring out what and how to best achieve your composting objectives, that fits within your daily comfort zone.

You can get two manures free; what a great start! Generally, manures compost down quickly. It's the bedding, wood chips or straw, that take a while to breakdown. Do you have room to have a small pile of each manure on the ground? Just for storage, and also, it makes it less daunting to get out and turn if you want to. You'll get worms magically appearing as well.

Finding your easy composts is like finding your vermiculite: it might be literally around the corner, once you find it. Personally, I consider my veggie scraps and coffee grounds to be bonus vitamins in my compost, since the volume is limited, I just throw them in as extras. I don't try to compost tree branches and other big stuff that take forever to break down.

I gotta run for now! Later.

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 4/25/2011, 7:38 pm

Thank you Boffer. You have given me lots to consider.
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 Empty my compost

Post  buttaflie143 4/27/2011, 8:08 pm

Today I added the chicken poo and my son was in the backyard with a couple of his friends. (The boys put a rabbit trap in the woods behind my house. Didn't catch a rabbit, but nabbed a squirrel. His little friend fancies himself a hunter. He's 9. Smile ). Anyways, my oldest comes to the patio door saying he's gotta go pee. I immediately directed him to my composter. Smile Good old-fashioned urine. So here are a few pics of my compost. Its nice and moist throughout, but not dripping wet. What do you think? Does it look the part?

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 Compos10

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 Compos11
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/27/2011, 8:28 pm

Great start! Be careful about telling your son to go pee in the composter when his friends are around. LOL! When word gets out around the neighbourhood they will all be there wanting to do it.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 4/27/2011, 9:05 pm

Old Hippie wrote:Great start! Be careful about telling your son to go pee in the composter when his friends are around. LOL! When word gets out around the neighbourhood they will all be there wanting to do it.

Gwynn

lol! Thankfully the other boys were in the woods at the time fooling with the caged squirrel. But I told Camden not to share our secret with anyone, except Dad of course. When my twins go in the potty, I add theirs too. Laughing
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 4/28/2011, 10:05 am

My compost is 100 degrees F on day 4!!! Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 418730
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/28/2011, 9:51 pm

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 485967 Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 833560
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 Empty Compost Percentages

Post  sbhoward 4/30/2011, 9:10 pm

You know what a great tip to remember about compost is?

Listen to Old Hippie!

It's really simple so don't get too wrapped up in the percentages, etc

Just do it! Your Garden will love ya for it.

Steve
www.growingyourgrub.com
sbhoward
sbhoward

Male Posts : 9

http://www.growingyourgrub.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/30/2011, 9:38 pm

buttaflie143 wrote:My compost is 100 degrees F on day 4!!! Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 418730
HOORAY!!!!!! cheers
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 5/2/2011, 11:10 pm

ok.....lil miss visual. Very Happy Not sure if this give you ratios but it is how I layer my greens and browns with some additional "activators".

Step 1 - Remove the working pile and put on a tarp. The tape measure is the visual for 3' x 3'

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2928

Step 2 - Mow (organically grown) Lawn and collect clippings. BTW - No chemicals / herbicides on lawn if you are using these.

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2929

Step 3 - Cut up and pile accumulated kitchen scraps

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2930

Step 4 - Get activators (optional) at the ready. These help heat the pile and act as a food source in addition to the clippings for those hungry bacteria / microbes.

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2931

Step 5 - Layer a few inches of existing unfinished compost, sprinkle activators, layer a few inches of grass, water.

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2932

Step 6 - Repeat this layering process but add the kitchen scraps to the middle of the pile as you go. This will be the hottest part of the pile.

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2933

I lightly water again and cover to keep it moist. Its mostly in the shade anyway. The blocks are spaced to allow air to circulate and a pole keeps the tarp "tented" to keep air flowing.

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2934

The pile is getting there. The stuff is getting an earthy dark, smells sweet and is becoming finer in texture. Taking my time with it though. I want this to be ready for a midsummer tomato boost and my fall plantings.

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2935

It gets soooooo gorgeously hot with all that additional nitrogen from the blood meal. I could not keep my hand in the middle for more than a couple of seconds today.
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 5/2/2011, 11:31 pm

staf74 wrote:ok.....lil miss visual. Very Happy Not sure if this give you ratios but it is how I layer my greens and browns with some additional "activators".

Step 1 - Remove the working pile and put on a tarp. The tape measure is the visual for 3' x 3'

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2928

Step 2 - Mow (organically grown) Lawn and collect clippings. BTW - No chemicals / herbicides on lawn if you are using these.

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2929

Step 3 - Cut up and pile accumulated kitchen scraps

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2930

Step 4 - Get activators (optional) at the ready. These help heat the pile and act as a food source in addition to the clippings for those hungry bacteria / microbes.

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2931

Step 5 - Layer a few inches of existing unfinished compost, sprinkle activators, layer a few inches of grass, water.

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2932

Step 6 - Repeat this layering process but add the kitchen scraps to the middle of the pile as you go. This will be the hottest part of the pile.

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2933

I lightly water again and cover to keep it moist. Its mostly in the shade anyway. The blocks are spaced to allow air to circulate and a pole keeps the tarp "tented" to keep air flowing.

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2934

The pile is getting there. The stuff is getting an earthy dark, smells sweet and is becoming finer in texture. Taking my time with it though. I want this to be ready for a midsummer tomato boost and my fall plantings.

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 100_2935

It gets soooooo gorgeously hot with all that additional nitrogen from the blood meal. I could not keep my hand in the middle for more than a couple of seconds today.

Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 728280 Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 657780 Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 657780 Please post pics of starter compost pile - Page 2 657780 ABSOLUTELY!!!! The pictures are fabulous and now I can try an open air compost pile!!!!
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 5/2/2011, 11:33 pm

Staf74,
I have what appears to be fruit flies in my compost bin. What can I do to get rid of them, should I add more dry leaves?
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 5/2/2011, 11:51 pm

If you are sure they are fruit flies (as sometimes they are mistaken in the pile for fungus gnats) then you have a few things to try. Supposedly, coffee grounds dispels them. Pour them on top last. Some gardeners take one of those shop vacs and suck em up !!! That would be fun. Make an Apple cider vinegar trap for them. Place by your tumbler and they'll choose that, drown and die. Yes, try adding more browns, carbon, leaves etc. You might be too green.

or.......leave them. They are a nuisance but harmless really.
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2