Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Please post pics of starter compost pile Toplef10Please post pics of starter compost pile 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Please post pics of starter compost pile I22gcj10Please post pics of starter compost pile 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Please post pics of starter compost pile Toplef10Please post pics of starter compost pile 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Please post pics of starter compost pile I22gcj10Please post pics of starter compost pile 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Please post pics of starter compost pile

+7
camprn
martha
walshevak
boffer
GlassHen
Old Hippie
buttaflie143
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Please post pics of starter compost pile Empty Please post pics of starter compost pile

Post  buttaflie143 4/25/2011, 12:31 pm

Can someone please post pics, if you have them, of what a beginning compost pile should look like? I am looking for size and green and brown item percentages (how much green to brown I need for composting to take place). I am a visual person so when the reading material says 2-3 parts brown to 1-part green. I need to see it. For those of you who are number gurus, the dimensions of my composter is as follows: 30.7" x 25.8" x 37.8". Please help.
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Please post pics of starter compost pile Empty Re: Please post pics of starter compost pile

Post  Old Hippie 4/25/2011, 1:06 pm

Ohhhhh, Buttaflie.....I would so like to help you but...I am so different from you Sad . Any pics I would have it just looks like a pile of yard waste with kitchen scraps thrown in. I can never really remember which is 'greens' and which is 'browns'. Sometimes I add the paper from the shredder. Sometimes I add grass clippings. Sometimes I just dump the stuff from my plant pots in. I just kinda throw stuff on, as I have it, flip it over now and then, add some water and cover it up. I keep doing that and then it turns into compost all by it's lonesome more or less.

It is not really as complicated as it sounds in books. Honest. I bet your compost is going to be just fine.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Please post pics of starter compost pile Empty Re: Please post pics of starter compost pile

Post  buttaflie143 4/25/2011, 1:15 pm

The perfectionist in me gets so caught up in logistics study Please post pics of starter compost pile 27650 Please post pics of starter compost pile 601593 study Please post pics of starter compost pile 601593 Please post pics of starter compost pile 27650 . Per your advice, I'm going to start "throwing stuff" in. lol! About how long does your compost take using your method?
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/25/2011, 1:33 pm

You know, the books make it sound so complicated. When I was first reading about it all, I would think, "Shucks! I am never going to get this right!" and tended to over think it. Well, the stuff rots, with or without my help. Mother Nature just does her thing. So if you just throw stuff on the pile all summer, turn it now and then and keep adding a bit of water to it so it doesn't dry out, by next spring, you will have some pretty decent compost. There will still be some chunky bits of woody stuff maybe but most of it will have turned into wonderful compost and it will probably be full of big fat worms if you have it down on the ground. Now, you may have quite a few seeds that will sprout in it as well, like tomatoes, cantaloupes, potatoes from the peels or what have you. I have a screen that I screen the lumpy stuff out with and throw that back on the new pile and save the nice screened stuff in a pail with a lid until I need it.

If you think Mother Nature is too slow and want to speed things up a bit, add some fresh grass clippings to the pile, make sure it is damp and turn it over every day. It will heat up and work faster. If you get the temp. up to over 140 F. and can keep it that way for about a week you will kill a lot of the seeds too. The bad thing is, that kills worms too. However, after that you let it sit and cure for a couple of weeks and the good micro organisms and worms move back in.
That whole process for me usually takes about a month or month and a half. I can usually get two good batches of compost a season out of mine. I could get more but I tend to be a bit lazy.

Best of luck.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  GlassHen 4/25/2011, 1:41 pm

Here's our compost bins that we started last June-ish. They are 4'x4' each.

Please post pics of starter compost pile P1030713

This is a picture I took this morning of our compost. Using the "just throw it in method" we have about 4-5 inches filling the bottom of one side of our bin. Smile

Please post pics of starter compost pile P1030712
GlassHen
GlassHen

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/25/2011, 1:48 pm

One thing I forgot to mention....when you add vegetable peelings, banana peels, etc, throw some grass clippings or leaves on top or dig a hole in the compost and bury the fresh stuff to keep flies away and keep the smell down.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/25/2011, 1:49 pm

Old Hippie and I are going to start a club: 'The lazy, procrastinators, a-lot-of-things-in-the-world-will-happen-just-fine-without-my-help club'! cheers

I noticed in another thread, that you got one of those new fangled twirly thing-a-ma-bob composters. Neato! I've never used one, but many have posted that you don't want to get it much more than half full-it can become unwieldy to turn when too full.

A few catalysts you could add that will help your compost break down faster: green grass, manure, human urine, blood meal, alfalfa pellets, and I'm sure there are more.

I could never remember what's green and what's brown and what good ratios are, so I had to simplify it for myself: Poops and plants. A couple of each in a batch, and I have gold for my garden.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/25/2011, 1:54 pm

Boffer,

I can't seem to get fresh poop, so could I substitute some Black Kow compost.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/25/2011, 1:58 pm

boffer wrote:Old Hippie and I are going to start a club: 'The lazy, procrastinators, a-lot-of-things-in-the-world-will-happen-just-fine-without-my-help club'! cheers

Please post pics of starter compost pile 889526 Sounds like a great club to start but probably too much work. I love you Boffer (Crusty Wink ) but don't tell your wife I said that.

Gwynn

Last edited by Old Hippie on 4/25/2011, 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added warning.)
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/25/2011, 2:07 pm

LOL I gotta call ya on that one, Kay! You drive a pickup truck all over the place, going to your son's house etc., and you can't find any manure? You don't carry a 5 gallon bucket and shovel with you at all times...just in case? And I know you could sweet talk some young man into helping you get it loaded...you're just not looking hard enough! :lolsignwave:

I see Black Kow mentioned frequently on the forum, but I've never used it.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 4/25/2011, 2:20 pm

I guess I'm just too shy to stop at the local farms and ask. Embarassed I did go to the county extension agent to ask about local sources and he was NO help. I posted on freecycle, got a reply and tried to set up a pickup, but the person never got back to me with a time and location. So I'm on to plan B. If I ever get back up to my daughter's house I'll try to score some more chicken poop from her.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 4/25/2011, 2:46 pm

re: hot compost piles killing worms....wouldn't they crawl out? I have never gotten a pile even close to hot enough to know. Our pile is the r e a l l y r e a l l y slow kind.

PS - Boffer - re: Tony Dino-however it is spelled..... Razz
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/25/2011, 2:59 pm

I tend to just add ingredients an inch or 2 at a time. SO an inch or tow, of green grass clippings, 4-6 inches of the dried leaves piled, and a layer of last winter's compost pile.
Really, just throw it all in a heap, way more brown dried stuff that green stuff, that should do it. I have a good photo that shows composted layers. I will post it after I get home from work.

Winter compost pile
Please post pics of starter compost pile 09510

First pile turning of last year
Please post pics of starter compost pile Img_1926
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  clfraser 4/25/2011, 3:23 pm

Any options other than dried leaves? We don't rake leaves here. If the leaves fall off the trees (which is a big if) it is not quickly enough to have enough to rake or anything. I would love to start a pile, but don't have any idea what I could use for my brown material.
clfraser
clfraser

Female Posts : 127

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 4/25/2011, 3:32 pm

boffer wrote:Old Hippie and I are going to start a club: 'The lazy, procrastinators, a-lot-of-things-in-the-world-will-happen-just-fine-without-my-help club'! cheers

I noticed in another thread, that you got one of those new fangled twirly thing-a-ma-bob composters. Neato! I've never used one, but many have posted that you don't want to get it much more than half full-it can become unwieldy to turn when too full.

A few catalysts you could add that will help your compost break down faster: green grass, manure, human urine, blood meal, alfalfa pellets, and I'm sure there are more.

I could never remember what's green and what's brown and what good ratios are, so I had to simplify it for myself: Poops and plants. A couple of each in a batch, and I have gold for my garden.

I love you Boffer. Your posts always make me smile!!! Please post pics of starter compost pile 803620
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 4/25/2011, 3:37 pm

Thank you all for the pics and advice. I'm now resolved to throw it in, spin it every now and again, and let nature take its course.

Here's a pic of my composter:

Please post pics of starter compost pile 2011-021
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  ferhoodled 4/25/2011, 4:13 pm

Buttaflie, would you mind telling where you got that bee-yoo-ti-ful composter? I'm in the market for one.
ferhoodled
ferhoodled

Female Posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  GlassHen 4/25/2011, 4:15 pm

clfraser wrote:Any options other than dried leaves? We don't rake leaves here. If the leaves fall off the trees (which is a big if) it is not quickly enough to have enough to rake or anything. I would love to start a pile, but don't have any idea what I could use for my brown material.

crumbled up or shredded newspaper?
GlassHen
GlassHen

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 4/25/2011, 4:19 pm

Butterflie,

OOPS...just posted this in the wrong thread. I put this in your SFG progress thread.

Composting is a little more complicated than simply throwing a few things in a pile and waiting if you want OPTIMAL results and speed. Of course, that will work and has done for years but if you really are a perfectionist as you say, then I highly recommend the Rodale book of composting. You can buy it used at Amazon for as little as 80 cents!!!

It is quite simply a phenomenal read for us garden nerds....LOL Very Happy

Please post pics of starter compost pile 51jcrb10

Since buying the book, I have tweaked a few things and my pile is now a hive of activity. I love putting my hand into the middle and feeling the heat. On cooler mornings, opening up the middle and watching it steam away is a joy.
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 4/25/2011, 4:21 pm

No problem. I am going to order it right now, but I've already thrown some stuff in. Smile
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  clfraser 4/25/2011, 4:25 pm

Will the ink on the newspaper be a problem or is it safe?
clfraser
clfraser

Female Posts : 127

Back to top Go down

Post  GlassHen 4/25/2011, 4:29 pm

Most newspapers are printed with soy ink. Our newspaper states "printed with soy ink" right on the paper. You could always call up the printer and make sure what kind of ink they use. Also, make sure you don't use the glossy stuff like ads.
GlassHen
GlassHen

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 4/25/2011, 5:47 pm

My friend just agreed to give me their chicken and rabbit manure? What do you think or know about this kind of manure?
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/25/2011, 5:53 pm

buttaflie143 wrote:My friend just agreed to give me their chicken and rabbit manure? What do you think or know about this kind of manure?

Get more.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  buttaflie143 4/25/2011, 5:57 pm

boffer wrote:
buttaflie143 wrote:My friend just agreed to give me their chicken and rabbit manure? What do you think or know about this kind of manure?

Get more.

Boffer,
How much should I add to my compost and how often?
buttaflie143
buttaflie143

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next