Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Late Start for my SFG this year (central Alberta, 3A) Toplef10Late Start for my SFG this year (central Alberta, 3A) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Late Start for my SFG this year (central Alberta, 3A) I22gcj10Late Start for my SFG this year (central Alberta, 3A) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Late Start for my SFG this year (central Alberta, 3A) Toplef10Late Start for my SFG this year (central Alberta, 3A) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Late Start for my SFG this year (central Alberta, 3A) I22gcj10Late Start for my SFG this year (central Alberta, 3A) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Late Start for my SFG this year (central Alberta, 3A)

5 posters

Go down

Late Start for my SFG this year (central Alberta, 3A) Empty Late Start for my SFG this year (central Alberta, 3A)

Post  Ryley 4/21/2011, 10:31 am

Well, this is the first time I've logged on since last year, and I must say I am envious of everyone's gardens already!! I just looked outside however, and reminded myself why I'm so behind. Yep, there's still snow on the ground and in my garden. No point in getting myself too excited yet! (But I am!!!). However, snow on the ground is no excuse as to why I'm so behind on my seedlings. There's no excuse for that (well except for the fact that this year I'm taking night classes, and all the reading and coursework that comes along with it). But today that all changes. Today is the day I'm starting my seedlings (almost a month late...).

Last night I pulled out my domes and my heating pads, trays, pellets and the seeds I ordered from Stokes in January. Today is the day! However, because TODAY is the day, and not a month ago, I think I will have to adjust just what I seed. I fear it might be too late to start my tomatoes, which were my pride and joy last summer. Typically it is safe to start transplanting here, the first week in June, so I have about 6 weeks to get my seedlings ready. Luckily I have a very generous Grandma and mother-in-law who have offered to share some of their tomato plants with me (the ones THEY started on time....a month ago).

So today, I will be planting my herbs (thyme, sage, oregano, basil and parsley), and my flowers (pansies and marigolds), and who knows...maybe a tomato or two, just so I can say that I tried.

Glad to be back on the forum this year, and look forward to keeping an eye on everyone else's gardens again too!

Cheers!

Ryley
Ryley

Female Posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Late Start for my SFG this year (central Alberta, 3A) Empty Re: Late Start for my SFG this year (central Alberta, 3A)

Post  Ha-v-v 4/21/2011, 10:50 am

Welcome back Smile I sometimes think its never too late, things work out always Smile You have tomatoes coming from family and you can get those others started in no time:) Have a nice day of planting, its a good motivator. I know now that Im in the garden again I am motivated more.
Happy Planting!
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1119
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Late Start for my SFG this year (central Alberta, 3A) Empty Re: Late Start for my SFG this year (central Alberta, 3A)

Post  altagarden 4/22/2011, 12:21 am

So did you do it? I keep saying I am going to and not doing it. The weather here in Alberta is just too discouraging. I'll probably be picking up my seedlings at Canadian Tire next month.
altagarden
altagarden

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/22/2011, 12:31 am

I know what you mean. It IS discouraging when you see the deep snow and it just doesn't seem like it will EVER go away. And then the people in Texas and Florida or wherever start posting pics of their gardens and you just think....."oh my goodness. Their gardens are gorgeous and I still have snow up to my waist!" And then I feel like going back to bed and hibernating like the bears.
It is hard to get motivated when our last frost date is June 6 or there abouts. Yup! Totally hear you!!

BUT.....they have ridiculous storms that we don't have. Have you seen the news???? And the bugs they have!!! GOOD GRIEF! To say nothing of the poisonous animals and other things they have to contend with. We are soooooo lucky! And if you buy your seedlings at Canadian Tire, that is totally fine.

Just do what you can. Your garden is supposed to be fun.........a source of pleasure, not of guilt. If you start your own seeds......good for you. If you don't start your own seeds......good for you anyway. The garden is for YOU!

I am glad you are back. I so enjoy seeing more Canadians on here. Hang in there. It is almost time to plant!!

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/22/2011, 12:51 am

What the Hippie say be true. Wink

However, you guys up there need to dig in and rise up...puns intended. Sure, we may have longer growing seasons down here, but you guys are inspirations to us, too. We may rev your engines early, but you guys are the sprinters. You guys have to burn rubber out of the blocks just to hit the finish line.

I can guarantee you that if I lived above the 49, I wouldn't likely be interested in gardening at all. I doubt I would feel anything had time to grow. But, you guys prove that wrong....or I hope you do.

We ALL have our challenges to overcome in a growing season. I, for one, am having my first season on this forum and would love to see how YOUR gardens grow.

As for the frost dates, you guys have experience. You KNOW the frost dates will come and pass. You KNOW your snow will melt and summer will come. You plant in advance planning for that day...having faith in that day. You stagger your planning in case you are slightly off.

Either way, your frost dates are even more critical than ours. Your seasons have to be masterfully planned to get things harvested in time, from what I've read. That intensity is what makes you guys so inspirational for me to watch. I can't wait to see YOUR gardens, too!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2710

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryley 4/22/2011, 6:31 pm

Thanks for motivation guys! Yes, our weather here in Alberta can be discouraging, and a challenge, but I think that's what keeps it interesting. This weekend is beautiful though. I think we might get our "spring" finally. (I heard 17 degrees on Monday, woo hooo!!)

I did get my seeds started. They're sitting in my front window, and I've been obsessively checking the temperature and keeping an eye on them. I already have a couple of cucumber seeds starting to sprout!

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Ryley
Ryley

Female Posts : 26

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/22/2011, 6:42 pm

Thanks, BBG for the encouragement. I never looked at our kind of gardening the way you do. It is always great to hear someone else's point of view. I am so bad at posting pics but will try to be more diligent about that.

Ryley, keep it up. It is almost time to plant outside!! We are supposed to have a warm weekend although today is certainly not anything to brag about. It is sunny but the wind is very cold and it still is only +7 C. Tomorrow and Sunday are supposed to be nice. Sucks I have to work tomorrow. Sad I did manage to get the top part of the compost piles turned and cleaned up today. The middle is still frozen solid. It will be a while yet before that is thawed.

Strawberries are looking good. The little bit of extra warmth they got from having the acrylic dome over them seems to have got them going a bit earlier than previous years. I DO have to invest in a lot of plastic forks to keep the neighbourhood cats out of the flower beds. Either that or a Reuger with a silencer.

Hang in there.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum