Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
"We're moving" Toplef10"We're moving" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

"We're moving" I22gcj10"We're moving" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
"We're moving" Toplef10"We're moving" 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

"We're moving" I22gcj10"We're moving" 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

"We're moving"

4 posters

Go down

"We're moving" Empty "We're moving"

Post  myhouseofBOYS 4/19/2011, 12:39 am

Since I am not sure that the answers will be true SFG I am sticking this thread here.

So my husband had been out of work for 18ish mo when he was offered a temporary position in a town 30 miles away, that we moved from in Oct 2010. It was only supposed to last until May/Juneish so we figured we'd deal with him living out of town 5 days a week because it was temporary yada yada.... long story short they offered him a FT permanent position... hallejah wonderful news right? Except they offered him the original job THREE months after we moved so our lease is not up until Oct. but frankly I am not going to last that long raising 5 young boys on my own m-f so I want to get back as a family unit ASAP... and my garden. This is prime growing time these next few months and basically we are planning on moving back to our old town between "now" (Begining of Juneish so kids can finish school) and Oct. So my long winded question:
Is there a way to plant things so that they can move, not so I can simply scoop up MM and bring to a new place but move the actual crops while they are in the ground, especially tomatoes??? Can you move a "July old" Laughing tomato plant in a container? (5 gallon? grow bags? earth box type planter on casters?) At this point I have nothing in the ground and a few things in "potted up" pots so I am at a cross roads/point I still have room to figure out a plan of attack knowing I don't plan on being here this whole summer growing season. I have let too many summers go by w/o planting because "we might move" but this year we are moving (!), I just can't be the one to shoulder my boys' PMS alone. I could be moving the items or some of them next door to finish out the season so they would not nessasarily need to be uhaul sturdy, but can I move a tall viney plant? I am guessing I'd need to stake and or cage and trellessing is "out" right?

Thanks and I hope this made sense.
myhouseofBOYS

Back to top Go down

"We're moving" Empty Re: "We're moving"

Post  SFG in Chicago 4/19/2011, 1:01 am

Hi there. We're moving this summer too, probably sometime in August. Just a local move for us. Because of this I planted mostly spring crops in my single 4x8 box, stuff that will be done by then. I'm doing a few tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets with tomato cages and I plan to move them. From the reading I've been doing 5 gallons is less than ideal for indeterminates and the production may be lower, but I figure it's better than nothing.

Good luck with your move!
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Post  myhouseofBOYS 4/19/2011, 1:14 am

yeah I don't need any bumper crops this year but the thought of leaving behind hundreds of green cherry tomatoes makes me sad and anxious and keeps me up at night, like now. I want to try my hand at a few new to me varieties so even a couple dz cherry sized toms or a handful of full sized fruits would be be lovely by me this year.
myhouseofBOYS

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/19/2011, 1:14 am

MOVING SUCKS! However, having a family living in two separate places sucks even more so it makes sense to move.

I would plant whatever I could in containers and move them. When you stop and think about it, greenhouses ship large plants all the time. So if they can, so can we. I moved a whole bunch of pretty big houseplants from Winnipeg, Manitoba to Whitehorse, Yukon one time. It took almost a week to get there and they turned out fine. Mind you, none of them were producing fruit at the time. Just make sure they are well watered before putting them on the moving truck. I loaded mine on the very last thing and they were first thing off. Got them unwrapped and was so surprised at what good shape they were in. They might lose a few blossoms or what have you, but as long as you aren't trying to move them a long way so they will be in the dark for a week or in the back of an open trailer or pick-up truck, I bet they will be just fine.

Best of luck with your move and here's to getting the family back under one roof. Congrats on the job too.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/19/2011, 8:58 am

FIVE boys, my goodness, I barely survive the 3 I have, but now that my youngest (also my daughter) is 12, I'd have to say the boys were easy.

Good luck moving, and I am sure you will get more great advice.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum