Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Take a peek at my tenthouse this year.. Toplef10Take a peek at my tenthouse this year.. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Take a peek at my tenthouse this year.. I22gcj10Take a peek at my tenthouse this year.. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Take a peek at my tenthouse this year.. Toplef10Take a peek at my tenthouse this year.. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Take a peek at my tenthouse this year.. I22gcj10Take a peek at my tenthouse this year.. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Take a peek at my tenthouse this year..

5 posters

Go down

Take a peek at my tenthouse this year.. Empty Take a peek at my tenthouse this year..

Post  quiltbea 3/22/2010, 12:45 pm

I loved my introduction to SFG last year and wanted so much to extend my seasons. I can't build a coldframe and purchased ones are too costly for me, and I wasn't happy about a hoop house. I wanted to start early and have a place to harden off new seedlings and maybe start lettuce every week or so.
In the summer I can remove the plastic and cover the tent poles with cheesecloth for shading new lettuce, spinach, etc.
I planned my tenthouse and built it easily over a 4' x 4" raised bed which is 12" deep. You need the depth to keep the tent poles holding sturdily unless you have another way to brace them against winds.

The procedure for this can be followed on my blog:
http://quiltbeagardens.blogspot.com

I'm enjoying my new world of veggie gardening and have learned new things along the way which I hope to share.
I thank Mel every day that he introduced me to SFQ. Its opened up a new and wonderful part to my life.
A couple of days ago I started a few blocks under my tent for permanent crops. Things like carrots, spinach, scallions, chives, radishes and all lettuce mix. One uses so few seeds in these early plantings, that if I have to start again later due to losing the current crop, it won't be a hardship.

Take a peek at my tenthouse this year.. 03-20-12
This is my tenthouse with the crops planted. At night I cover the two rows with row cover for added warmth. Our nites are cold, sometimes dipping below freezing.
Today its 45 out and cloudy. Inside my tenthouse its 60 so my plots are safe.
I hope to have some spinach, etc, much earlier than normally.
I have 9 raised beds and 4 raised mounds that are raised without lumber. I'm really into this SGQ.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Take a peek at my tenthouse this year.. Empty Re: Take a peek at my tenthouse this year..

Post  camprn 3/22/2010, 6:46 pm

Very nice! :!:
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Take a peek at my tenthouse this year.. Empty Re: Take a peek at my tenthouse this year..

Post  martha 3/23/2010, 12:44 pm

Gorgeous photos of your SFG on your blog. Between Mel and Eliot Coleman, I feel that my life has been changed dramatically! I didn't try to winter garden this past year. I decided I needed to spend the time planning - I garden for my husband's and my restaurant. Last summer/fall, I had a successful garden, but didn't plan well for best use of the harvest. ( I mostly planted too little.)

Keep those cards and letters (and photos!) coming!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Take a peek at my tenthouse this year.. Empty Thanks Martha

Post  quiltbea 3/23/2010, 12:49 pm

I know I won't be able to winter garden, but I hope to have crops going into Dec this year with my tenthouse. The cool-weather crops might be able to handle it. I didn't even think of putting in fall crops last year so this will be a first for me.
Good luck with your garden and your restaurant.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Moses 3/25/2010, 4:18 pm

Hats off to you, Bea! I just started my first sq.ft. garden today in my new mini tent/greenhouse (GrowCamp brand). Yours is bound to work with the amount of care and thought you've given it all. Nice job on your blog - thanks, I enjoyed it. I'm in central CT, and just planted golden beets, Bibb lettuce, Peas ((Peas N'a'Pot) 10" high plants)) and cherry radishes. The whole idea of planting outside in March is like a dream come true. It's going to work, Bea! Take a peek at my tenthouse this year.. Icon_biggrin

Moses
Moses
Moses

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/18/2010, 11:19 pm

Just an update on my A-frame. Its working wonders. I have 7 squares started with carrots, scallions, chives, spinach, lettuce mix and 2 of radishes and I'm seeing activity in all squares now, the radishes being the best. Its easy to raise the flaps and clip them up out of the way with the extra-large binder clips. They fit nicely on the edge of 1" lumber but also they clip to the plastic above.
I open the flaps days when our temps are in the 40s and close them at nite when they drop back into the 30s. So far, even on some pretty windy days, its held up just fine.
It protected from the inch of snow we got before the weekend as well.
Here's a view of it over the last 4 by 4 in the far corner.
url=https://servimg.com/view/15016226/49]Take a peek at my tenthouse this year.. 04-17-11[/url]
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  organicgardeningzen.com 4/19/2010, 12:20 am

@martha Nice to see another Mel - Eliot Coleman hybrid gardener here! This is my second year back to veg gardening (SFG style) after giving up on a traditional garden I inherited when we bought our house in 1998. Mel's no weeding, small space to maintain methods helped me overcome my "overwhelm" of gardening; Eliot's books have inspired me to go year round! I'm almost more excited for this fall than I am for the spring right in front of me!
organicgardeningzen.com
organicgardeningzen.com

Female Posts : 31

http://www.organicgardeningzen.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum