Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... Toplef10Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... I22gcj10Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... Toplef10Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... I22gcj10Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside...

+3
hitchhiker90
tkdtara84
dizzygardener
7 posters

Go down

Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... Empty Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside...

Post  dizzygardener 4/13/2011, 4:58 pm

I thought it might be great for us to have a place to showcase our harvests. I hope you'll join me in uploading pics every now and then. I know seeing all the delicious produce folks are growing inspires me to keep on keeping on!

On Sunday I ate my first salad from the garden.

Here's a picture:

Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... Firsth10

The bowl was full, but I started nibbling on the lettuces and kale before I remembered to take a picture of it. Embarassed

I mixed it with a bit of romaine I had left over and made a chef's salad out of it! I served the salad with my homemade herb ranch dressing (the green onion was used in the dressing)!

Do you have any harvest pics to share?
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... Empty Re: Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside...

Post  tkdtara84 4/13/2011, 5:03 pm

The ranch dressing sounds good. Do you give out the recipe?
tkdtara84
tkdtara84

Female Posts : 68

Back to top Go down

Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... Empty Re: Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside...

Post  dizzygardener 4/13/2011, 5:11 pm

Absolutely!

This version is low-fat, but you can make it full fat if you want. The low-fat version is excellent and by far the best low-fat dressing I've ever had...

Here is the link: http://www.lowfatlifestyle.com/sauces_dressings/sauceandressingrecipes/freshherbranchdressing.html

If you want to thin it out some you can use a little more buttermilk or just plain milk.

If you are going to do the low-fat version I highly recommend using Hellman's mayo. They don't use all the chemical substitutes that kraft and others use in order to make the mayo low fat. You can also sub in homemade mayo. That would be yummy too.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  hitchhiker90 4/15/2011, 3:09 pm

Looks good. I was going to try to grow kale and swiss chard but then I realized I had no clue how to prepare it so I stuck with what I do know how to prepare: lettuce, spinach, and broccoli.
hitchhiker90
hitchhiker90

Male Posts : 43

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/15/2011, 3:21 pm

We had fresh parsnips last week. They overwintered in my garden and were sooooo tasty. I'm in Maine where the winters are long and cold and where we had 2' of snow cover in my garden beds most of the winter.

Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... 04-10-10
These are the ones I harvested this spring.
Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... 04-10-11
I roasted them with taters and carrots for dinner and they were fabulous.
I'd only had them once in my life and that was last fall when I harvested some. I wasn't too keen on them for flavor and thought I'd not grow them again. The flavor is certainly a lot nicer after overwintering in the cold. They are now in the garden plan for this year.

If you want an early harvest next year, try sowing parsnips this spring. They take 100-120 days to mature but taste much better after a few freezes so next spring they will be great.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 4/15/2011, 3:22 pm

hitchhiker90 wrote:Looks good. I was going to try to grow kale and swiss chard but then I realized I had no clue how to prepare it so I stuck with what I do know how to prepare: lettuce, spinach, and broccoli.

Well, since those are cool weather crops that will finish up pretty soon, give swiss chard a try when they are done and prepare the leaves just like spinach! I use the stem in the place of celery in cooked dishes. I'm pretty amazed by mine as I've seen it thrive in temps anywhere from 28 to 103 degrees since last fall when I planted it!
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 4/15/2011, 4:38 pm

Another good substitute for mayo is greek yogurt. If you want a bit of sweetness, honey is an option instead of sugar.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 4/21/2011, 1:53 pm

These types of salads are a daily affair at the moment.....yum yum !!!

Everything here came from the garden. I resisted the urge to add other ingredients which I had in the fridge so I can provide for the family purely from the garden (at least for lunch).

Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... 100_2910

Finished product drizzled in Olive oil and Apple cider Vinegar. I sprinkled with chives and the purple flowers are actually chive flowers I added as a garnish.

Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... 100_2911

Couldn't resist the pun by adding the plate to a spare square....."Square foot Salad"

Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... 100_2912

The only thing I'm not too proud of saying are the spring onions coming from rows Embarassed

Here's my SFG. Notice the trowel....gotta love that as your ONLY tool !!!

Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... 100_2913
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/21/2011, 2:54 pm

Lucky you.
Your garden is looking terrific. You've got a head start on some of us, but I hope to catch up in a month or so.
Happy Gardening and many more great salads.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/21/2011, 3:13 pm

We are harvesting family salads a couple times a week right now, but soon it will be everyday if we want it!

Here is what I harvested today:

Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... Harves10

Red Russian kale, Radishes with greens, mesclun mix, and a green onion at the top

Here it is bagged up and waiting for dinner tonight!

Doesn't it feel good to eat your own produce?! Pics inside... Harves11

Tonight I'm going to saute the kale and radish greens in butter with garlic and onion. I'll serve it with baked tilapia and rice. We'll have a salad on the side. Very Happy
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/21/2011, 3:28 pm

Oooh, I love those little radishes. I can't wait to taste mine.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  staf74 4/21/2011, 4:05 pm

Love it !!! I love the tail tips on the radishes and I also think that radish greens are yummy, if not a little "fuzzy" sometimes.

Enjoy your dinner !!!
staf74
staf74

Male Posts : 554

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down