Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast Toplef10Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast I22gcj10Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast Toplef10Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast I22gcj10Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast

+3
middlemamma
Furbalsmom
sherryeo
7 posters

Go down

Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast Empty Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast

Post  sherryeo 4/5/2011, 9:58 pm

I'm new to the forum. The coast is hot, humid and host to an abundant variety of garden pests and soil-borne veggie diseases. My attempt at a traditional garden last summer resulted, at first, in a new passion for me - nothing could take the stress away from a hard day at work like escaping to my garden to check on my beautiful veggies. Then the insects (stink bugs, leaf-footed bugs, tomato hornworms and army worms to name a few) attacked my garden with a vengeance. Blossom-end rot and what I can only speculate was some kind of wilting disease probably brought on by heavy rains took another toll. I was so disheartened that I swore off gardening.

Then I happened upon Mel's book and was instantly intrigued at the method he devised. The others in my family (hubby and three grown sons) are skeptics who have good-naturedly indulged my desire to try the new method, but not without lots of eye-rolling and doubt that it will work. They plan on planting another traditional garden (which I have assured them I will NOT be breaking MY back weeding this time!). So I am secretly hoping to show them up. We shall see.

I'm hoping the Mel's Mix will help eliminate the soil-borne diseases. Insects will still be a problem, I know, but hopefully being able to use a floating cover at first might help. I'll be reading all the posts about how to deal with insects, for sure.

I'm later getting started than I'd hoped, but should have my first 2 4X4 foot boxes filled with Mel's Mix and ready to plant by this weekend. My excitement at my new square foot garden project is probably one of the few things that could make me try to overcome my shyness about posting online - hopefully I'll get better as I go along. I just had to join when I found this forum!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast Empty Re: Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast

Post  Furbalsmom 4/6/2011, 12:07 am

Sherry, Welcome and we are glad you joined us. This is a great group of people and they are helpful too.

Congratulations on your new SFG.

Your family will be jealous when you sit there sipping sweet ice tea and they are hoeing and weeding, trying to keep things going.

Keep us updated on your progress. And Please share pictures, we I love you them.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 4/6/2011, 1:06 am

So glad to have you!! Can't wait to hear how rewarding your SFG is!

Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast 396615 Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast 396615 Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast 396615
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Wapner 4/6/2011, 8:51 am

Hi Sherry and welcome. I live in Gulfport. This is also my first year at SFG. I've been at it since January and I can't remember when I enjoyed anything more. I don't have many answers but if you have any questions pertaining to growing veggies on the coast, PM me and if I have any info I'll be glad to share it.
Wapner

Male Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 4/6/2011, 9:12 am

Welcome to BOTH of you along the Gulf Coast! It's great to have you guys here.

Sherry, I don't know what to say about soil-borne disease, but hopefully changing things will do the trick.

You will find we are all eager to help. I would suggest stopping into your regional forum when you get the chance. Odds are someone there is having the same issue you are at the same time of year in there. You may have more luck with local issues in there, too.

Anything is worth asking around here. And, pictures are worth more than 1000 words when it comes to a garden. You've put in the work, now brag about it!!

Hope to see you around the forums.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 4/6/2011, 9:47 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. Thanks to the vermiculite database, I located the large bags of coarse vermiculite at a store not too far from me - fairly reasonably priced according to other prices I've seen posted here - $17.99. I hope to get by there on my off day. Then it should be a go for getting my soil mix in the boxes this weekend, as long as the weather holds out. I can't wait to get something actually PLANTED!!!

I do plan on posting to my regional forum soon. I've already been reading the posts over there. I love that feature of the forum. I'll try to figure out how to post pictures soon - hope I'll have something worth posting about! I greatly enjoy seeing everyone else's photos - great for inspiration!

Take care and happy gardening!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Back to top Go down

Post  ashort 4/6/2011, 11:53 pm

Welcome to the forum! I love the MI Gulf coast - Waveland, Bay St. Louis, and the rest! The area is beautiful! I often wonder if Trapani's came back to that little building in downtown Bay St. Louis by the bridge - the had the best food!
ashort
ashort

Male Posts : 520

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/7/2011, 4:09 pm

Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast 396615 Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast 396615 Hi from the Mississippi Gulf Coast 396615

So very glad to have you here.

I bet you will show up the traditional garden without hardly lifting a finger! You can just sit and what they curse and fight with weeds while you're sitting back drinking some sweet tea! Just keep your All New SFG book handy and post and questions you might have.

Perhaps later in the season you can post some comparison shots of they row garden vs. your SFG? Cool

If you have any specific questions about pest control do give me a holler better yet, post that question in the pest forum. I have a passion for organic pest control and have accumulated a lot of information I am more than happy to share. You'll find that most of us around here feel that way.
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 4/7/2011, 7:41 pm

Hi ashort & dizzygardner,

Thanks for the welcome. ashort - There was nothing left of the little building for Trapani's to come back to after Katrina. They did rebuild - if you google "Trapani's and Bay St. Louis," there's a page that tells about it. I didn't know if it would be appropriate to post a link here, but you can google it.

Interesting idea, dizzy, about posting photos comparing their garden to mine. They haven't started getting the ground ready for the big garden yet, so we'll see how that goes. I think the extreme heat, hoardes of insects and heavy rainfall make it harder to have a traditional garden here than probably most areas. I don't expect the square foot garden to solve all those problems, but am hoping they may be a bit easier to manage using sfg techniques. Can't wait to try it, anyways!
sherryeo
sherryeo

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/7/2011, 8:42 pm

WOW. Shocked The shear number of typos in my last post is really quite sad. I was in a hurry though. I'm surprised you could even make out what I was trying to say. I'm a terrible typist! Embarassed
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down