Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My joy in gardening - the short version Toplef10My joy in gardening - the short version 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My joy in gardening - the short version I22gcj10My joy in gardening - the short version 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My joy in gardening - the short version Toplef10My joy in gardening - the short version 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My joy in gardening - the short version I22gcj10My joy in gardening - the short version 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My joy in gardening - the short version

+4
Lavender Debs
quiltbea
choksaw
martha
8 posters

Go down

My joy in gardening - the short version Empty My joy in gardening - the short version

Post  martha 3/20/2010, 3:59 pm

I used to have horses. Having horses is a rich man's hobby. For me it was a non-rich person's passion.

Four or five years ago, they got old, and did what old horses do. I didn't have the financial resources to keep going, and by that point, the joy was largely about my love for those two animals - I was ready for the journey to end.

BUT, I was PETRIFIED, because horses had taken all of my time, energy and money. What was I going to do to have an interest/hobby/new passion? So I planted a flower....

Well, I just checked my tomaotes that I sowed the past Tuesday, the 16th - and another one has sprouted!! I had such a burst of joy seeing the little seedling with the little seed case still hanging on - my heart is full!

Last edited by martha on 3/20/2010, 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

My joy in gardening - the short version Empty Re: My joy in gardening - the short version

Post  choksaw 3/20/2010, 5:34 pm

A very sad tail (pun intended) but with a great happy ending Im a gamer by hobby but it takes up alot of my time and can sometimes be frustrating so i turned to gardening for relaxation and a sense of accomplishment not to mention the food is healthier lol
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

My joy in gardening - the short version Empty Martha, you'll have to post pics

Post  quiltbea 3/23/2010, 9:13 pm

I'm glad to hear your toms are beginning. Its a little too early for my toms to be started here in Maine.
You'll have to post pics so we can all grow green with envy.
Something has to be green around here in the northeast. LOL
Enjoy.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

My joy in gardening - the short version Empty I had a horse myself many years ago

Post  quiltbea 3/23/2010, 9:15 pm

I think of him now and again, Smokey Rebel, a sorrel gelding.
Its hard to lose our furbabies, no thow large they are.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

My joy in gardening - the short version Empty Re: My joy in gardening - the short version

Post  Lavender Debs 3/24/2010, 10:36 am

martha wrote:I had such a burst of joy seeing the little seedling with the little seed case still hanging on - my heart is full!
Hope floats!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

My joy in gardening - the short version Empty From horses to gardening

Post  jollo 4/2/2010, 12:15 am

Oh, how the heart yearns...Like Martha, we too had horses, four, plus the cutest little chocolate palomino pony ever. We worked on two different nearby ranches owned by friends to have a place to keep them and ride. Daybreak with the horses is fantastic.

Then one day we received a life-altering phone call, and by end of day had two very young grandsons at our doorstep, welcomed with open arms! But it quickly became obvious that the time and attention needed by those wonderful boys was equal to (and greater than) the time we'd been spending on the ranches with the horses.

So we made the right choice and kept the boys. Some have asked why we didn't keep both boys and horses...but like Martha said, "financial resources" meant one or the other, not both.

Now the boys are older, more self-sufficient and self-entertaining, and this Nana has a little more free time. Actually, has a need for some little project or hobby to sooth the soul. My grandsons Home School library had a book about 'square foot gardening'. I'd never heard of it before, but my fancy was caught, and under the guise of needing a home schooling project, our little garden was created with whatever we could find, and enlarged on a bit as the summer progressed.

Now it's our second year at SFGing. There will be a bigger variety of vegetables and melons. As an experiment, we've started 99% of our own transplants this year. The boys help me plant and water, my Handsome Husband has provided some additional building materials for another large bed, and we will all enjoy the harvest again this year.

I still yearn for horses, but I've got a pretty good thing going on right in my own back yard.
jollo
jollo

Female Posts : 22

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/2/2010, 9:15 am

It's amazing how gardening heals the soul. Two of my neighbours died within a day of each other. One funeral is this morning and the other tomorrow. I spent all of yesterday in the gardens (SFG, lasagna, and flowers). I just had to dig in the dirt. Soil/ dirt also absorbs tears very well. I planted a honeysuckle vine in memory of one neighbour and a maypop in the memory of the other. Gardening is just so healing.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  jollo 4/2/2010, 10:51 am

Amen.

We churn the soil to grow our meal,
yet while we toil our souls do heal.
jollo
jollo

Female Posts : 22

Back to top Go down

My joy in gardening - the short version Empty Gardens calm the soul

Post  quiltbea 4/2/2010, 11:38 am

Its funny how gardening can help us over the hurdles of life.
When I lost my husband 6 yrs ago, I built an in-law apt in my son's home (at his wife's urging...she's a darling, special lady), where he had over 6 acres, mostly woods, in the country. Right after moving in the furniture, I was out in the yard building a perennial garden. That kept me so busy the spells of grief were easier to handle. I will always be grateful for that first garden.
Now I have my 2nd one, the SFG that I began last spring. I love it. There's always a new challenge, but less hard work after the first year, so its keeping me outside and giving me exercise and keeping the old brain humming in good shape. The challenges continue.
With young children to teach and learn, it must be extra wonderful.
I know the grandchildren will be learning things that will take them thru their lifetime and the added bonus is the fresh and tasty food on the table.
Keep up the good work.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 4/2/2010, 11:54 am

I am getting a lot from everyone's stories - thank you!
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  Theresa 4/3/2010, 9:40 pm

Gardening can be so rewarding, and SFGing is the greatest way to garden! I'm so glad you are here to share your experience with everyone! My joy in gardening - the short version Icon_flower
Theresa

FOUNDER SFG forum 2009

certified SFG instructor

Female Posts : 211

Back to top Go down

Post  mikefisher 4/8/2010, 10:17 am

aawww... It's a sad but motivating story. Indeed you must move on from a lost of a love one. In your case it's a horse. But even thought others might consider them just a animal but for you they were special. It's good that you are taking consideration on gardening. Best of luck in your new hobby. Smile
mikefisher
mikefisher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum