Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! Toplef10Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! I22gcj10Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! Toplef10Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! I22gcj10Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo!

+7
Odd Duck
PeggyC
boffer
Lavender Debs
madnicmom
jerzyjen
Bec
11 posters

Go down

Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! Empty Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo!

Post  Bec 3/1/2011, 10:34 am

I just got a trailer full of free goat poo! cheers It was advertized on Freecycle by a family-run, certified grade B goat farm that produces milk for area cheesemakers. The poo was in a big pile ready to be shoveled and hauled away. It has already over-wintered so should be ready for use but I'm adding it to my compost piles (one almost ready and one just started). And my goodness - it looks like I've got enough to last for quite a while - and I didn't even take it all! The poo does have some straw in it and they sprinkled lime on it occasionally over the winter - but as far as I know that's all good stuff. It's a lot of work shoveling it out of the trailer because a lot of it is in chunks. I am chopping up the chunks with a shovel before putting it in the compost. It's worth it though because it's free and I figure would have cost me a bundle if I'd tried to buy it - especially as much as I got. So I'm one happy Square Foot Gardener!!!
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! Empty Re: Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo!

Post  jerzyjen 3/1/2011, 11:20 am

I remember how excited I was when i got a free trailer load of alpaca manure last year. I added some of the "fresher" stuff to my compost pile, used some of the composted part in my beds, and left the rest. Over the weekend (its been almost a year) I went back to the pile and had very nice compost ready to use (about a wheel barrow full give or take). The farmer told me that his tomatos did amazingly well with it, so midsummer I'll use it as a side dressing.
jerzyjen
jerzyjen

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! Empty Re: Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo!

Post  madnicmom 3/1/2011, 11:23 am

Congrats on your score and NO your not wierd! lol!
madnicmom
madnicmom

Female Posts : 567

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/1/2011, 11:29 am

Too Kewl! I know how it feels. A nurse my son works with has told him to come help himself to all the goat poo he can haul. I'm still waiting. Happy for you.

Deborah....thinking the poo is more valuable than the milk to a sub-urban farmer.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! Empty Ok I'm Strange - but I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo!

Post  Bec 3/1/2011, 11:35 am

"Deborah....thinking the poo is more valuable than the milk to a sub-urban farmer."

I totally agree with you!!!
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! Empty Ok - I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo!

Post  Bec 3/1/2011, 11:38 am

madnicmom wrote:Congrats on your score and NO your not wierd! lol!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Actually, it's my husband who thinks I'm weird for being excited about goat poo. But to his credit, he did haul the trailer over there and helped me with the shoveling.
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/1/2011, 11:57 am

In some ways, gardening changes our priorities as profoundly as becoming a parent. You're weird to those with clean hands! But not to us with dirt under our nails, who are happy for you clap
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  PeggyC 3/1/2011, 12:58 pm

cheers bounce Hooray for Goat Poo! Very Happy cheers sunny sunny
PeggyC
PeggyC

Female Posts : 126

http://www.craftycrofts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 3/1/2011, 5:30 pm

Woot, woot, woot, for the goat poo!
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/1/2011, 6:29 pm

jerzyjen wrote:I remember how excited I was when i got a free trailer load of alpaca manure last year.

When I lived in WA state, I learned from a friend who raised llamas that llama poo is considered to be "Black Gold" by gardeners. I'm sure alpaca poo is the same way!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/1/2011, 8:53 pm

Megan wrote:
jerzyjen wrote:I remember how excited I was when i got a free trailer load of alpaca manure last year.

When I lived in WA state, I learned from a friend who raised llamas that llama poo is considered to be "Black Gold" by gardeners. I'm sure alpaca poo is the same way!

I told my hubby about the alpaca poo when I read it on 'the most thoughtful gardening gift' thread and he thought that was crazy - but he walked around saying 'alpacapoo, alpacapoo' for the next 2 days! I am thrilled that I have sources for free horse poo, cow poo, and poultry poo! Hubby thinks I am crazy, too!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  southland2 3/2/2011, 12:57 pm

I am really excited for you and your goat poo!! We have goats and we have friend who loves to come over and clean our goat pens for free poo for her garden. She got a couple of pack goats from us this past year so now she is manufacturing her own goat poo. Right now I need to get it all cleaned up and put into the compost pile.

I love the husband walking around muttering "alpacapoo, alpacapoo" for days. That cracks me up!!

Candy
southland2

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec 3/2/2011, 1:12 pm

I have a source for free Emu poo also but haven't gone to get it yet. I need to get on the ball! I'm assuming Emu poo would be like chicken manure. Does anyone know?
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/2/2011, 6:22 pm

Bec wrote:I'm assuming Emu poo would be like chicken manure.

Altho' slightly larger splats!Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! 889526
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/2/2011, 6:26 pm

southland2 wrote:I love the husband walking around muttering "alpacapoo, alpacapoo" for days. That cracks me up!!

Candy

I think it helped him to see that there are others like me and that I am not some sort of alien for liking to dig in the dirt, get excited about poo, and enjoy the sunshine!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Bec 3/3/2011, 9:14 am

Goosegirl wrote:
Bec wrote:I'm assuming Emu poo would be like chicken manure.

Altho' slightly larger splats! Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! 889526

lol!
Bec

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 3/3/2011, 10:18 am

Bec wrote:I'm assuming Emu poo would be like chicken manure. Does anyone know?

Yes it is the same apart from you will find it runs a lot faster. Ok I'm Strange - But I'm Excited About Free Goat Poo! 889526
jumiclads
jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum