Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 Toplef10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 I22gcj10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 Toplef10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 I22gcj10The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The Toy Box (the return)

+31
Icemaiden
Mamachibi
Goosegirl
happycamper
Blackrose
sherryeo
quiltbea
FamilyGardening
stripesmom
nancy
Ha-v-v
donnainzone5
shannon1
dixie
walshevak
dizzygardener
windrider1967
elliephant
middlemamma
ander217
boffer
bettyd_z7_va
janine
Megan
jumiclads
BackyardBirdGardner
FarmerValerie
Aub
miinva
Furbalsmom
Lavender Debs
35 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 Empty Garbanzo Beans and Leeks

Post  Lavender Debs 3/5/2011, 6:49 pm

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_55
In my quest to grow calories this year, I was delighted to find that Uprising Seeds offered all kinds of choices. But when I read that the black garbanzo beans they offered were producing in cool soil AND were to be started at the same time as peas, there was no holding me back! As of today I have filled the four center squares of box 3 with garbanzos (nine to a square).
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_56
There were a few more leeks in the nursery square of box two than I thought. After lifting them from Box 2, I put 12 into one square and six more into another square of Box 3.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_57
If you have never transplanted onions or leeks before, you may not appreciate why this humble vegetable is so expensive. A nursery box of thread size seedlings (started from seed in a square the previous late summer) is allowed to overwinter. The following spring I take a hand shovel and loosen the soil under the plants that are now anywhere from yarn to pencil thickness. They get both a root trim and a leaf trim just before being put back into their new bed. They like a rich soil mix. A fresh shovel full of lovejoy was worked into the soil.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_58
I've never done this in a SFG. There is more room to work in a row garden. This was a test! Instead of making a ridge to set the trimmed plants on, I had to dig down and make little mini strawberry like cones to spread the roots on. I also had to have a bucket of MM at the ready to make sure I had enough soil to work with.

It is a pretty, early spring day out and I still have all kinds of greens to poke into the soil. Before I was able to get to that happy chore Ray stepped out the kitchen door and asked if I'd like to go get the lumber to make the two new beds we had been talking about. Oh ya!

Deborah.....maybe I still have time to get those greens into the ground today
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 1q1-ne10The day started out overcast but the bitter wind was gone. The valley was filled with birdsong. Their melody is so beautiful that the clouds parted to allow the angels a closer listen. 48/36. Moon phase picture from Accuweather
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Toy Box (the return)

Post  Megan 3/5/2011, 8:44 pm

How beautiful, and inspiring, Debs.... thank you for sharing! Really good information, too. I don't think I'm ready for leeks yet, I am just hoping I will not kill my potato onions.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/6/2011, 3:17 pm

Thank you so much Megan, that is really kind!
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_59
So, we went and bought lumber yesterday. I kept saying, 8 or 10 inch is really big enough. He'd say I think you'll like 12. Me, sure, but I've got to fill the box with hand mixed MM, I think 8 or 10 is good. Him....not really talking to me, because of course 12 is what I want. .....but all that mixing and blending and dumping.

It is true, making Mel's Mix is a one time job. When filling the box is finally finished this will be absolutely awesome. Even fava beans should grow well in here. The reason I have not started yet is because it still needs to be leveled. One side is about seven inches lower than the other. Leveling has always been the guys job. Filling is mine. I gotta get me a cement mixer because I'm not getting any younger. Another, just like it, is sitting on the deck waiting to be put together.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_60
This is that cloche that Chris made for me. I'm still hoping that it is only the first of many. This one has a nursery bed of nine broccoli starts (4 different kinds including a broccoli kale cross called Purple Peacock.) It is not as warm out as it was at this time last year but it has been warm enough to let everything stay out during the day. The natural light keeps my seedlings from getting leggy.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_61
This is not really part of my SFG, but it is IN my SFG. My itty-bitty cold frame sits in box 4. These are micro greens that have moved out here. They were just getting too leggy in the kitchen. They all have a week or so before they are ready to use. I think this will be the last batch of the season. I plan to crowd some of my greens and use the thinnings from the SFG for the next round. I did actually get my red spinach and baby bok-choi into the ground yesterday but had not yet thought about over planting for thinnings. With the peas, leeks, garbanzo beans and favas, box 3 is nearly full. I have about 3 squares left for mixed lettuces and mescaline mix.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_62
These are artichokes. The one in back was started in the kitchen. The one in front has been sitting in the cold frame with the other wintersowing containers since January. Can you see the little sprout coming up? Just when I was thinking everything probably rotted, up comes a pretty green sprout.

Deborah....whose neighbor looked over the fence long enough to scold Ray about letting me "push the season"....I'm not sure what he means.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_63 The sun kept peeking out. It felt so good, I didn't even want to wear my sweater. Rain if fixen to come back tomorrow. Think I'll just live in the moment for today. 47/34 (shhh, it got up to 50 this afternoon)
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  janine 3/7/2011, 12:56 am

A newbie question for you, Deb:

The Book (somehow I feel like that it should be written that way Smile says to plant peas five weeks before the last frost. The Victory Seeds website says that last frost in Seattle is on 4/20. So you were planting your peas more than two months ahead of that. Clearly it's ok to deviate from the guidelines, but when you do that, how do you know when it's the right time?
janine

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 Empty Wanting That Purple Peacock!!!

Post  bettyd_z7_va 3/7/2011, 1:38 am

Oh Deborah!

You have that Purple Peacock that I have on my wish list!

It sounded so delicious in the TS catalog.

I'll be anxiously waiting for updates on it. lol

Betty
bettyd_z7_va

Female Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/7/2011, 10:09 am

janine wrote:...Clearly it's ok to deviate from the guidelines, but when you do that, how do you know when it's the right time?

You never know it's the right time until it comes and goes! And then it's too late to do anything.

When it comes to cool crops, I practice the theory that earlier is better in the PNW with the understanding that sometimes I'll win and sometimes I'll lose. I moved up my outdoor seeding to late January this year, and I'm losing. This has been a cool/dark Feb. and stuff is a lot slower than last year. Oh well...until I get a greenhouse, that's the way it is.

But, occasionally we have a glorious Feb., and it's fun to be eating fresh from the garden in late March.

(This is strictly my approach; not suitable for everyone's temperament!)

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 Empty Leeks

Post  ander217 3/7/2011, 10:15 am

Deb, I am growing leeks for the first time this year. I have the little green threads growing in my window flat. Can I plant them directly to MM in my 4 x 4 box?

I plan to grow some in mid-summer for fall harvest. Can I direct-sow those or should I be starting them now inside?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/7/2011, 10:27 am

@Betty; What stopped you from getting Purple Peacock? I've never grown it either. The few bloggers I found writing about it seemed delighted with it. I'm also anxious for it to get all grown up. I have enough seed to send you a micro sample if you like.

@Janine; That is actually a good question J. I am not a scientist, I like to say that I roll more by faith (which is usually seen as the opposite of science) but really, the whole Pea planting thing is actually tradition, approved by neither faith nor science. It is more dumb-luck than anything.

There does not seem to be any real advantage to planting so early. The Creator has given even lowly seeds the sense to wait until the time is right to sprout. This forum is dedicated to "The Book" and you will not go wrong following it. It was my gram'ma who used to take me out to plant peas on Lincoln’s birthday. Imagine my surprise, learning at school that President Lincoln was remembered for more honorable things than when peas should be planted. Peas are hardy. I have seen them survive hard killing frosts, snow and light hail. The only thing that seems to kill them every time is Stellar Jays who don't want to eat them so much as see what is under them. Putting up a tepee and hanging a mesh bag of peanuts from the top keeps these amazingly intelligent birds occupied (make sure the mesh is large enough to get a peanut out but small enough to prevent them from getting their head stuck in the bag!). It is also a good idea to put a chick-wire tunnel over the square.

I also go by seasonal ques. When crocuses sprout it is time to plant Fava Beans. Most cold weather food can be planted when Maples have their first tiny leaves. But tradition still rules my season. St Patrick’s day is for potatoes (and peas if I missed the Presidents Birthday). April Fool's for greens and the broccoli family (direct seed). May Day for starting tropical’s, like peppers and eggplant, inside so they are ready to plant out in mid June. Memorial Weekend for nearly everything else. If I go strictly by tradition, then corn has to wait until a man can sit in only a loin-cloth on the bare dirt for 20 minutes without pain. (One of my great grandmothers was a Blackfoot Indian, that one came from her). My guys are Scottish....maybe they will go out in a kilt (I've actually seen what they wear under them)

Gardening is a gamble. The government has tried to ease the pain of gambling for farmers who make a huge investment in one kind of seed (often covered by government loans or government money to banks). USDA Zones and their last frost dates are good science. If my small garden is destroyed by a killing frost or big hail, it is heartbreaking but it doesn't break me. I can start over. A farmer who has invested everything into her main crop may find it difficult to just start over. She is not a gambler, she is trying to make a living. If you are just starting the gardening game give yourself every advantage. Use every tool that has proven sound through the years. But if you want to have a little gambling thrill, stack the odds in your favor, learn everything you can about your target plant (like peas) and your personal micro-climate. Take some risks, you could lose, you could win. Last year was an exceptionally cool year in western Washington state. My early beans all tanked but my main season beans were lovely.

Debs….welcome to Wonder Land Janine!
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/7/2011, 10:54 am

It is also funny that it is Lincoln's birthday that is remembered for peas (I think it's more for easy memory than anything) rather than the 3rd President who loved peas, Jefferson, but then Jefferson's birthday is in April. Jefferson planted several crops of peas, many different varieties and planted in succession so he had peas on his table from April till freeze. I got a copy of his garden book, more of a record book, and he kept more details on his peas than anything else in his garden, noting when they were planted, and when the first batch "came to table".

I keep a close eye on the Farmer's Almanac, the coats on the animals on my area, and the date of Easter. Around here when Easter is late, so is spring, and I learned last year most of those who have gardened to survive all their life wait until the pecan trees start to bud to plant seeds outside for late spring and summer crops. Another very good source of information is a local coffee shop, just sit and listen to anyone who has been in the area, and has gardened, or hit up the local feed stores, you will find all kinds of info there, my favorite are mom and pop kinds.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/7/2011, 11:06 am

@Ander; I have been gardening in the PNW for the whole of my gardening life. I am at a loss anywhere east of the Cascade foothills and south of the Applegate River.

In the PNW you don't actually need multiple seeding dates. Leeks are harvest as you go plants. I take the largest to my kitchen and let the rest keep growing. If you were in the PNW this is what I would tell you....

Since your seedlings are "threads" don't clip the roots. Be gentle when you lift them (they will survive most other abuse). Prepare your square with rich compost. You can even make your planting cone of pure (homegrown) compost. Dig deep enough so that you can plant up to the first leaf joint (to blanch the plant). Clip off half the "thread" (to prevent transpiration), spread the root over the soil "cone" and fill in with mix.

There is no rush in the PNW to get spring started transplants into the ground. The longer they are crowded in a nursery bed the taller they will get. The taller they are the deeper they can be planted which means more of the nice white part of the leek for you.

You have to try really hard to kill a leek, even then they don't often die. Rookie mistakes will be forgiven by the hearty leek (and you are no rooky!)

I think you could get away with 16 to a square. I only went with 12 because I have 19 plants (more coming, they were part of a collection of starts I ordered from TSC). By August in the PNW they should be a fat pencil size (the kind you give to a 1st grader). You can mulch them with shredded paper or grass clippings (or any garden clippings like pea vines or potato leaves) to blanch them even more. Start lifting the largest in September; fill the hole they leave with compost. The rest will keep growing and may last well past Christmas getting bigger and bigger.

Deborah...Hope that helps.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/7/2011, 11:16 am

I also go by seasonal ques. When crocuses sprout it is time to plant Fava Beans. Most cold weather food can be planted when Maples have their first tiny leaves. But tradition still rules my season. St Patrick’s day is for potatoes (and peas if I missed the Presidents Birthday). April Fool's for greens and the broccoli family (direct seed). May Day for starting tropical’s, like peppers and eggplant, inside so they are ready to plant out in mid June. Memorial Weekend for nearly everything else. If I go strictly by tradition, then corn has to wait until a man can sit in only a loin-cloth on the bare dirt for 20 minutes without pain. (One of my great grandmothers was a Blackfoot Indian, that one came from her). My guys are Scottish....maybe they will go out in a kilt (I've actually seen what they wear under them)

This paragraph was GOLD!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 3/7/2011, 9:11 pm

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:

This paragraph was GOLD!

Amen. May have to frame this one. Debs, if I do, will you autograph it for me?? Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 3/8/2011, 4:29 am

I enjoy greatly reading the members here on the forum who have tradition in their blood passed down from great grandparents, grandparents and parents.

Maybe someday I will be the grandma passing all these things I learn over the years to my grandchildren.

It is amazing (and sad) to me what has been lost in just a few generations. I hope I can be a part of getting some of it back.

It's hard to even picture myself a grandmother...but 2 years ago I wasn't a gardener either. Very Happy

Keep on typing Lavender..I love it!
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/8/2011, 8:13 am

Jeannie, it will amaze you when the time comes and all that information rattling around up there in your brain comes back to you and you are passing it along to future generations. I'll just be talking to my 5yo grandson and all those memories and generational information just start pouring out. I did not find out until I started teaching cake decorating 5 years ago that my mom's parents used to do cakes, she would bake them and he would decorate them. I now have some of their old cake pans, next to my other grandmothers kitchen aid mixer.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 Empty Yea! Tomatoes.....whoops

Post  Lavender Debs 3/8/2011, 12:33 pm

I was just looking over the original Toy Box thread and saw that by this time last year my Tomatoes had sprouted. Because I have nothing better to do than fuss about the little things this time of year, I started worrying about not seeing any tomato sprouts. Is it the newspaper pots? Is it the new starting mix, bad seed?

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_64

Hello 2011 Tomato babies! I'm so happy to finally get to see you ...but wait, something’s wrong. It isn’t with the little tomatoes. It isn’t even with the newspaper pots or the soil mix.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_65

I just about put my arm out of joint patting myself on the back. It seemed so smart to cut up a milk carton for labels, using a sharpie to write down the important information. Now what? By process of elimination I have been able to figure out most of them. I'm having a little bit of trouble telling the difference between SILtz and SILver Fur but the seed packet assures me that Silver Fur will have unique true leaves (rather like carrot leaves) so that one should sort itself out.

Actually, it was sort of a fun puzzle. Now, if only I could buy a vowel.

Deborah....getting out the plastic tags and wax pencil.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 Minni_10 Plastic rain bonnets on box 2 and 3 for the “rain with occasional showers” that has settled in for a long visit. I don't need to protect against frost so much as drowning. Strong south wind (up to 25 mph) 47/40, more of the same for the next week.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 3/8/2011, 8:55 pm

Oopsie! I was oh-so-careful in labeling my tomato seedlings and writing down their location on a "map" as I was transplanting them...until I lost the map. Think it may have gone through the wash. The fact that some have potato leaves helped jog my memory on some of them and I think I've got most of them figured out...we'll see when they start producing! (Getting my first flowering branches here)
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 3/9/2011, 11:16 pm

I giggled aloud at, "buy a vowel" Very Happy I love this thread!
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 Empty What do Fava sprouts look like anyway?

Post  Lavender Debs 3/12/2011, 12:47 pm

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_66
Do you suppose it looks rather like a carrot? Oddly enough carrots did grow in this square last year. I thought I got them all when I stirred up the soil before planting the Favas but maybe not. It was good for a momentary thrill this AM.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_67
The difference between Kitchenwindow Artichokes and Wintersown Artichokes? All of the wintersown seed has sprouted and is a healthy deep green even though they are behind the kitchen window sown Artichokes on the Left. What the kitchenwindow plant misses in good color it makes up for in new leaves. I did not think the kitchenwindow Artichoke was very leggy until I saw the wintersown.

I am a native of the PNW. The sound of rain on an umbrella is a comforting sound to me. Snow that will not go away bothers me far more than rain. We are still into the spring rains. I've had a look in the garden for today. the broccoli is uncovered so that it will get some moisture. I need to give a splash of water to the plants in the cold-frame. Once those pleasant chores are done Ray, Rudy and I will grab umbrellas and head to Flowerworld to find a Northstar Pie Cherry and have a look-see at the berries they have in this year. My Chris works graveyard at the hospital. Sometimes he goes shopping before he comes home. Today he came home with a couple of huge pots for trees and whatever. Now I have the happy task of filling them.

Deborah....in a mood to go shopping. It will get me singing (the scarecrow's song) in the rain.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 Mini_m10 Two inches of rain since yesterday and I'm watering my covered plants. At least I'm not worried about making more drainage. A warm south wind is driving the rain from the sea. 52/40 are the guesses for high and low. The morning started at 43.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  windrider1967 3/13/2011, 10:42 am

I love following this thread. Complete opposite end of the world from me, and interesting to see what is up
windrider1967
windrider1967

Female Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 3/14/2011, 1:00 am

I can't wait to see pictures of your Purple Peacock. That's one I hope to try in the future. For this year I'm excited to see what comes of my purple sprouting broccoli.
miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 3/14/2011, 9:53 am

Very Happy

Ok, you've really inspired me to get out there and get to planting! I've got some seedlings that are quite sad and leggy under the grow lights. If we could just get some sun around here I'd put them in a sunny window, but we are due to get a little rain today. Sad

There is of course, one little hitch in my gardening plan.... MY COMPOST ISN'T HERE YET!!!! The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 277611

It is a week late! Seems every time they get ready to deliver it it starts to rain! It's supposed to be delivered today, but guess what... IT'S GOING TO RAIN!!!! Mother nature can be so cruel sometimes... The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 225728
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 Empty Squish Squish Squish

Post  Lavender Debs 3/14/2011, 1:01 pm

Squish. That is the sound I make as I walk about the garden. Squish. The wind blows assertively while optimistic birds sing on the hillside just over the fence. I've come to the garden because I am unwilling to turn off the TV news of the Japanese tragedy and my heart needs a moment to pray. I must say how grateful I am that my garden squishes. It has not been buried under a thirty foot wall of salty sludge that will render it useless for years. It just squishes. (last I heard, Hanford was still acting tame). I have buckets of rainwater, electricity to run the washer and dryer, the gas burns freely only in the fireplace and I am not wondering about the status of loved ones. Life is still Good.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_70

Golden Sweet Snow Peas have come bravely to the surface. I hope to get out between systems this afternoon and mix up some of the ingredients for MM, left from last year, for the new box, (#5). While I am out during the "sunbreak" I plan to move the cold frame over to give the peas a chance to dry out just a little before the next "rain event".

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_71

Squish. My home is at the top of a bluff. It surprises me how wet the garden is. I am careful where I step. My garden shoes are slip on mules. I am wishing I had an old fashioned pair of barn boots. It is difficult to keep up with the mud that the puppies bring in. There are puppy prints from the back door to the fireplace.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_72

Splish-splash, my lavender is taking a bath. Doesn't look any happier then my JRT "Bomber" when he has to take a bath. I'm thinking I better get out with the clippers and a jar of root-tone to get a few cuttings started if this poor garden is to be saved. For some time now I have known that I need to move the Lavender garden to a sunnier spot. I just had more urgent work to do and put it off. Suddenly the Lavender garden has become urgent. Such is life for us who love all that the dirt brings.

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 May_3013 Golden Sweet Pea blossom, May 30, 2010

Rainy, breezy day. 52/43. As of 9:45 it has not got up to 45 yet (the temp that I feel safe bundling up the tomato babies and running them out to the deck for some light...as if there is more light outside than in the kitchen window today). The old wind mill has been spinning all morning in the unsettled air. I go out regularly to dump the water off of the plastic that covers boxes 2 and 3 so the weight of it does not squish the babies it should be protecting. The rain gage showed 2 and 1/4 more inches of water has fallen since late Saturday when I last emptied it.

Just as I was about to hit send, light came rushing into the living room through the big window. Maybe hope will still float.

Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/14/2011, 1:34 pm

lavender Debs wrote
Squish. That is the sound I make as I walk about the garden. Squish. The wind blows assertively while optimistic birds sing on the hillside just over the fence. I've come to the garden because I am unwilling to turn off the TV news of the Japanese tragedy and my heart needs a moment to pray. I must say how grateful I am that my garden squishes. It has not been buried under a thirty foot wall of salty sludge that will render it useless for years. It just squishes. (last I heard, Hanford was still acting tame). I have buckets of rainwater, electricity to run the washer and dryer, the gas burns freely only in the fireplace and I am not wondering about the status of loved ones. Life is still Good.

I am just the opposite. I had to turn the TV off. I lived in Japan for 3 years and my son lived there for 7. All our friends have left and we were in the southwest (Yokusuka Navy Base) and not in the path, but I loved the country and I just can't stand to actually see the devastation. I have to say agree, life is still good.

Kay
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 Empty The Sun Break

Post  Lavender Debs 3/14/2011, 10:05 pm

The Sun came out.

Let me say it again, The sun came out. Not for long. I noticed that it was bright out, snatched the kitchen garbage and tip-toed out the door, not wanting to scare the rare sun back into hiding. I think the bag of garbage must have frightened it just a little. My lens isn't dirty; those are big drops in the sunshine.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_73
I had already filled the wheelbarrow with vermiculite to add to the compost and peat in the blue pool. (Bomber got a pretty new one). It takes about 4 to 5 pools full of MM to fill a 4x4. I just pour everything in, take my flat shovel and circle the pool two times, turning as I go, almost like folding really heavy egg whites into a serious bowl of waffle batter.
The Toy Box (the return) - Page 2 March_74
One pool full of MM, gobs more to go. I don't really need this box until early April. Her twin should be ready by early May. I'll still need MM to fill all those tomato tubs. I'm out of peat for now. I know I will need more vermiculate and probably will have to buy more compost fixens. There isn't enough in my little bins for these monster boxes. This is so Kewl! I thought I had one more bag of premixed compost from last year but it turned out to be a bag of bark. Yea! Now I can cover the area between box 3 and 5.

@windrider; thank you, that is really kind.
@miinva; you have purple sprouting broccoli? Is it ready? In the PNW we plan to eat it in spring. It has been a long time since I've thought about PSB, I should get it on my fall list.
@dizzy; WooT! I love that you are ready! I've never met "mother nature" but I have heard of her. Sometimes I pitch a fit right to my Creators face, he is so patient, like the loving husband of a spoiled bride. He always looks for my best even when He knows I am not looking to his best, but just wanting to get my own way. Even so, I hope you get what you want in big buckets shoveled out with joy.

And Kay....my very soul aches for you! Most of the Japanese I hang with come from Hawaii. Those I know who spend lots of time in Japan are round-eyes who work for Boeing. Your heart is showing and it is beautiful. You have a perspective I will never know. Thank you so much for sharing that with me.

Deborah.....Did Steve Pool just say something about small hail?
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 3/14/2011, 10:40 pm

Yes, and I'd be happy to send you some seed if you'd like some, just PM your address Smile I haven't planted it yet. I read that it's not harvested like 'normal' broccoli, but I'm not sure when to plant it.
miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next