Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now Toplef10Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now I22gcj10Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now Toplef10Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now I22gcj10Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now

3 posters

Go down

Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now Empty Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now

Post  Chopper 12/2/2010, 5:14 pm

Here is my Dec report. I was away the last 2 weeks of November and missed the first frosts and any chance of covering the plants. As it turned out - not a problem. All of the stuff I planted for this season did fine, but I lost the remaining summer plants - to be expected. There were days when the weather in Massachusetts wasn't much different than here in So Cal.

Here is the visual:

Bye bye sweet potatoes. The green is now black but I haven't yet dug up the tubers. I will be interested to see how many were mature enough to eat and how they fared in the cold. Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now 1_rock10

The brassica. lettuce, carrot, beets and peas garden is doing fine. Picked some peas today. Lost the last pepper plant I left in but was still able to get a pepper off of it so the frost must have been light and did not last too long. Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now 1_rock11

The herbs: Lost the basil - front row - but was surprised to see that dill and cilantro made it through. And the garlic of course. Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now 1_rock12

Newest lettuce, peas, brassicas garden doing fine Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now 1_rock13

Overview - a little the worse for wear and I have lots of work the next few days but overall I am thrilled. Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now 1_rock14

What to plant in Dec in So Cal:
Beets
Broccoli
Brussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Carrots
Cauliflower
Leeks
Lettuce
Onions Bunching
Onions/Garlic sets
Parsley
Peas
Potatoes
Spinach

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now Empty Re: Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now

Post  acara 12/2/2010, 5:43 pm

Great update ...love the pics

Question:

Lost the last pepper plant I left in but was still able to get a pepper off of it so the frost must have been light and did not last too long

Whats he "drop-dead' temp for the peppers??

I've also got some yellow bell peppers on my plants & I'm playing the "just one more day & maybe they'll turn color" game. I'm in the 35-45F temp range all week ..... They're huge, they are well past maturity date, they are absolutely lovely ....just not yellow yet ....

So what your opinion on whether to roll-the-dice, or stop playing with fire & just pick them, before they get ruined by a bad night of weather?

acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now Empty Re: Dec So Cal Garden - what is yours doing? And what to plant now

Post  Chopper 12/2/2010, 5:46 pm

I don't know the answer to that. The peppers themselves were OK. The plant leaves had turned black though so the plant is more tender than the fruits apparently. As long as it hangs in there, who knows. They told me it got as low as 29 degrees F a few nights in a row so that is below freezing and they were OK. So they are tougher than you might think.

Also, maybe if you made a hoop house and threw some plastic over it it would be warm enough to change color if that is the issue.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/11/2011, 2:54 pm

Chopper did you move? How is your garden?
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 3/12/2011, 2:00 am

The move keeps getting delayed. And I have not planted because I did not think I would be here so I am in limbo right now. What I have is doing well, bu they are Spring things and it is getting too hot for them. I am looking at some temporary garden withdrawal!
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down