Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe? Toplef10Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe? I22gcj10Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe? Toplef10Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe? I22gcj10Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe?

4 posters

Go down

Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe? Empty Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe?

Post  ander217 11/29/2010, 10:28 am

I'm supposed to take a corn casserole or corn pudding to a potluck meal next week (barbecued pork steaks will be the meat served), and I've only made one once and I was less than thrilled with it.

Does anyone have a good recipe they would share?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe? Empty Is Corn Pudding Acceptable?

Post  bettyd_z7_va 11/29/2010, 11:35 am

Different people use different names for the same thing, so I'm just asking.

I got this recipe off of the cooking forum on the garden web. I forgot to write down the name of the person that posted it, but I found it on the cook-along thread for corn.

I made it for Homecoming at church and I think someone may have licked the dish! DH said it was the best corn pudding he had ever put in his mouth, so I will only use this recipe from now on.

2 -15oz cans creamed corn
2- 10 oz packages frozen corn niblets, defrosted (I couldn't find niblets, so I just used reg frozen bagged corn and it was fine)
1/4 cup flour (I think I used self-rising)
1 tsp salt (I always go easy on the salt so is was a very scant tsp)
4 eggs, beaten (I used large)
1 cup cream (I used heavy whipping cream)
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 tbls sugar (heaping tbls)
3/4 tsp cinnamon (cinnamon gives DH heartburn, so I only used about 1/4 tsp)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine everything except sugar and cinnamon. Mix well and pour into a 9x12" glass baking (casserole) dish.

Bake uncovered for 35 minutes.

Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over top of pudding and continue to bake another 30 minutes more.

Everyone's oven heats a little differently, so I always keep an eye on mine for the last 5-10 minutes or so.

DELISH! And I really don't care for corn pudding that much.

Enjoy,
Betty
bettyd_z7_va

Female Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe? Empty Re: Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe?

Post  Megan 11/29/2010, 7:30 pm

I have my Mom's corn pudding recipe, which I haven't made in at least 20 years and I have no idea if it's really that good. (Sorry, Mom!) I doubt we used cream, though. If you want me to dig it out, I can.

Does it have to be a casserole or pudding, or can it just be a good corn dish? I'd be far more likely to pan roast some corn on the cob with butter and cumin until nicely charred, take it off the cob, and mix it up with some diced roasted poblano and sweet red bell peppers (with maybe a nip of hot pepper in there, too.) That and a little more butter, s/p, and garlic would definitely make me a happy girl.

Another thing you can do is make a nice charred corn/black bean/tomato salsa (again, cumin is sort of a must), and serve it in little cups. Make the cups by gently pressing two wonton wrappers each (sort of kitty-cornered to each other to make 8 points) in sprayed mini-muffin tins. Bake maybe 5-8 minutes--watch them closely--til they get crispy. Let cool briefly, then fill with the salsa and serve still warm. (They are fine cold but I like'em warm.) That makes a very addictive little appetizer, and especially pretty when garnished with cilantro leaves. Make sure you use mini-muffin tins, though. If you use a regular muffin tin, they will be too wide to gracefully pop in your mouth all at once, and they tend to shatter after the first bite. (I learned that one the hard way.)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe? Empty Thanks

Post  ander217 11/30/2010, 7:29 am

Thanks, Betty and Megan. Betty, your pudding recipe sounds like what I was asked to bring and I'll give it a try. Megan, if you have your mother's recipe handy I'd be happy to compare them.

Megan, I'm attending two functions this weekend and I have to bring finger foods to both. Hubby wants me to make pimento-cheese sandwiches for one, but I was at a loss on what to bring for the other. Since I'm taking old standard pimento-cheese to one, and the other will have basically the same people attending, I'd like my other dish to have a little more wow factor. I think your salsa cups might be the answer. I've never seen anything like those served here.

BTW, does anyone have a killer pimento-cheese spread recipe? I've always followed my mom's recipe of shredded or ground American and cheddar cheese, chopped canned pimentos, and plenty of mayonnaise with a spoonful of sugar added to bind it together, but I've been seeing all sorts of recipes online that have extra ingredients. I always thought everyone ate PC spread, but after my daughters moved away from the South they informed me it's more of a Southern thing and they can't find the prepared kind in the grocery stores where they live and have to make their own. I had no idea it was a regional food.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe? Empty Re: Does anyone have a good corn casserole recipe?

Post  Megan 11/30/2010, 6:03 pm

Ander,

The salsa cups really are cute. If you know some people don't like cilantro, any other green herb that goes with the flavors (marjoram or parsley etc.) would look nice too; the color contrast is pretty. I would transport the cups and salsa separately and fill them when you get there (unless it's just next door) to help keep the cups crunchy. I think I vaguely remember wiping down the inside of the cups with a tiny bit of water before baking and sprinkling on some powdered cumin (moisture helps it stick), to add spice and a bit more color.

After looking at Mom's recipe for Corn Pudding, again I think Betty's sounds much better... though I was quite fond of Mom's when I was little. Here it is for posterity's sake:

Corn Pudding

1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 Tb sugar
1 can (16 oz) cream-style corn
3/4 cup crushed crackers (16 Hi-Ho's was what we used. Ritz or Town'n'Country would also work here.)
2 Tb butter, cut in pieces
paprika

In a 1-1/2 quart microwave safe bowl (rounded bottom bowl was what Mom always used, and I think it cooked more evenly that way), stir all but the paprika. Microwave on Medium-High for 7 minutes. Stir well. Sprinkle with paprika. Microwave (Med-High) for 11-14 minutes --- after 5 minutes, rotate but do not stir.

Note: This recipe is at least 30 years old. A modern, higher-powered microwave may cook faster even on Med-High, so watch closely.

Here is another recipe I remember fondly:

Tomato Pudding.

This is NOT what it sounds like; it's a bread pudding of sorts. We always had it as a side dish--goes very nicely with meatloaf--but it could quite easily be a dessert. It was a family favorite and rarely survived the night.

5-6 slices bread (wheat sandwich bread, nothing special)
1 stick butter
1 can tomato paste
1 can (from the tomato paste) of water
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed

Preheat oven to 350. Tear/cut bread (about 1" chunks) into an ungreased Pyrex bowl (the largest of the set of 3). In a saucepan, mix the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour over the bread. Bake for 30 minutes.

I think you are right about the pimento cheese spread being Southern. I'd never heard of it til I got down here, and I still haven't had any. The appetizer cheeses I recall as a kid were port wine cheese (it came in a small crock, back when), and a black olive cheese ball.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 12/1/2010, 1:50 am

My Very Yankee mother used to love pimento cheese (don't know why, but she doesn't eat it any more)and she made it herself. (go figure - once we moved to the south, where it's readily available, she quit eating it...)

Ugh. Shudder. Doing the jumping up and down icky dance.

Can't stand the stuff.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down