Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over Toplef10SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over I22gcj10SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over Toplef10SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over I22gcj10SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over

+2
timwardell
Sarabear
6 posters

Go down

SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over Empty SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over

Post  Sarabear 3/17/2010, 6:14 pm

I liked my SFG last year and think I followed
the soil mixture properly (1/3 each peat, vermiculite and compost) but am
having some problems. I use drip tubes with
holes every 1’ (worked in regular soil) but because of the light soil, I only get a “wet zone” of about
4” in diameter, then water would run out of the bottom of the box leaving most of the square foot fairly dry. I leave to often to water by hand. (Northern Utah climate.)
Also, the second problem - because of how
light the soil is I had plants (corn especially) reaching 3’ and then tipping
over
and needing to be staked and tied up (tying up corn is not a good solution for this year
SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over Icon_biggrin ) I’m
wondering what I need to do to fix the soil.
I’d guess compost maybe but also wondering how much I can add so it’s
not to hot of a mixture. would sand be bad mixed in 1" per 10"? I am hoping to
finish this project this weekend so I can start planting. Thank you for your help in advance!! I appreciate
it!
SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over Star3 SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over Star3 SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over Star3
Sarabear

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over Empty Re: SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over

Post  timwardell 3/17/2010, 6:38 pm

Might it be possible to add a mini-sprayer to your drip pipe? That would disperse the water in a wider area, but still low to the ground so as not to cause mildew or fungus on your plants from wet leaves. I'm thinking something like:
http://www.dripworksusa.com/store/sprayland.php?left
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over Empty Re: SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over

Post  Sarabear 3/17/2010, 6:47 pm

we tried that the year before last and had geysers- they wouldn't stay on. I think our pressure is just so high, even with a regulator, and I don't think my dh wants to add anything else to all his hard work Smile I guess I was hoping since it worked so well with regular soil, that I just needed to amend my current mix. I didn't think that corn should fall over that easily (not even a storm, they just kept falling over b/c the soil was so light I think). Do others have problems with plants falling over?
Sarabear

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/17/2010, 6:56 pm

HI,

Corn falls over in the ground too. They just don't have a deep enough root system for their height. It's not a problem in a big field. But even my 8x25 bed that I use for corn is affected. A couple days of rain, and then some wind, and over they go. You can build a 'railing' 2 1/2 to 3 feet high around the squares that have corn in them.

I'm with Tim, you'll have to find a way to disperse the water more slowly and evenly. Have you tried a soaker hose?
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

SOIL help! too much drainage, plants falling over Empty Not convinced

Post  Sarabear 4/2/2010, 12:01 pm

Well, I guess I'm still searching for a better solution or something I can add to the soil. The drip is incredibly slow, the water just goes straight down, and not out much. I grew up on a farm and my dad still plants corn to this day. In ANY traditional garden (or field for that matter) that I, or any of my extended families have planted, we've NEVER had corn fall over. Never until I was planting it in the "mels mix". Corn has a short, but strong root system. I think it's great for almost everything else, but I'm not convinced it is normal to have to "tie up" your corn!!! Any ideas are welcome Smile
Sarabear

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 4/2/2010, 12:07 pm

is there a difference in the density of corn stalks in the fields vs your SFG? Does anyone think it might work to have tomato cages around the corn? (But how many are you growing? that could get expensive.)
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  gridgardener 4/2/2010, 12:41 pm

there are three simple solutions
1. increase the amount potash you fertilize your corn with.
2. use a mels corn cage as seen in mels article in OG 1996
3 mound soil up at base of you corn plants.
gridgardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Kabaju42 4/2/2010, 5:42 pm

You might look at your regulator and see if you can lower the pressure even more. Logan does have especially high water pressure, and there are even special city codes to deal with it because the city won't turn down the pressure for some reason. I remember when I was going to USU up there my landlord had problems because of the high water pressure. The pipes going to our apartments broke, partly due to the water pressure, and they spent quite a bit to lay new pipes because the break was on their side of the water meter. Shortly after that was done, the pipe broke on the city's side of the water meter and they had to fix those pipes too.

You can also add more compost. It shouldn't burn the plants as easily as a chemical fertilizer would.
Kabaju42
Kabaju42

Male Posts : 249

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarabear 4/3/2010, 10:28 am

Thanks for your suggestions! I appreciate it.
Sarabear

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum