Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?  Toplef10Anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?  I22gcj10Anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?  Toplef10Anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?  I22gcj10Anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?

4 posters

Go down

Anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?  Empty Anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?

Post  middlemamma 9/30/2010, 3:56 pm

Tried and true?

I'd prefer a little bit of a spicier recipe...but I can always add chilis to a good recipe.

I don't want the kind you have to refrigerate for 3 weeks...I want the kind you process in a hot water bath and it's ready to eat quicker...

Anyone?
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?  Empty Re: Anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?

Post  pattipan 9/30/2010, 4:04 pm

http://www.pickyourown.org/pickledgarlic.htm

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?  Empty Re: Anyone have a recipe for pickled garlic?

Post  middlemamma 9/30/2010, 4:09 pm

Thanks Patti Pan..I found this one when I was searching too...have you actually made them? And you thought they were good?
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/30/2010, 4:26 pm

I like the recipe for Ball's Dilly Beans so much that I left out the beans and just used garlic! Mmmmmm good-add a little extra cayenne.

I don't know if it's a technically good substitution. I figured if the garlic was OK as a seasoning, why not the whole jar. But I only did 4 pints, and they didn't last long.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 9/30/2010, 4:43 pm

middlemamma wrote:Thanks Patti Pan..I found this one when I was searching too...have you actually made them? And you thought they were good?

So you were serious about tried and true? cutesie

No...I've not made these particular ones before. I did make cornichons this year (which are teeny little cucumbers), also in the mix: garlic, shallots, tarragon sprigs, red pepper flakes and black peppercorns. They are similar to sour gherkins, though, and contain no sugar. They are very good! And as with any pickled veggie, they only get better as they age. Three weeks is usually the minimum.

My family has pickled just about everything over the years, the process is essentially the same. Pick you veggies and spices and go for it. My mom always ended the canning season with "end of the garden relish" which could contain anything from overripe corn to green tomatoes. I remember helping grind the green tomatoes through a meat grinder -- that was pre-food processor days!

As for taste preferences, what I might like, you may not...so the final decision will be yours. If you like them spicy, red pepper flakes will do the trick. I'll post the cornichons recipe later, you could pickle the garlic this same way...and I've taste-tested the cukes and the garlic from them! It will give you garlic that gourmet "je ne sais quoi". (translation: "I don't know what")

pattipan
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 9/30/2010, 4:59 pm

PattiPan...

I have never tried to can a thing in my life. Never seen anyone can before either. My grandma used to and she did the end of season relish too and it was always so yummy.

But when grandma canned or cooked for that matter no one was allowed anywhere near the kitchen. When my grandma was a little girl she witnessed another little girl get burned very badly and disfigured in the kitchen and she never allowed any of us kids in when she was cooking. And my mother followed suit...So I never cooked in a kitchen till after I left home. But doing dishes was allowed. Wink

I went to the farmers market here last night and we bought a jar of pickled garlic that was AMAZING. And I thought...I wanna try this!

I am terrified...but thought Garlic is a pretty cheap item to buy so maybe a good thing to try first. Also hubby and I love it.

Thanks for your help...Smile
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/30/2010, 6:08 pm

Hi Jennie,

That recipe is very similar to the one in the Blue Ball book, but Blue Ball uses half-pint jars with a much smaller headspace (1/4") and a shorter processing time.

I have been cooking since I was a young girl, but this is my first year at canning. My family canned a LOT of stuff when I was little, but I wasn't allowed near the hot / sterile stuff -- especially since we made strawberry jam with paraffin back in the day -- and moreover they needed me on the shucking/peeling/fetch-and-carry brigade. Smile Anyway, I have canned a number of things so far this year and it is much less scary than I thought it might be!

So far, I find that the most important thing is to take a few minutes to sit down and plan the timing of everything. I put the jars through the power wash/hot wash/hot dry cycles on the dishwasher and then keep it shut til I need them. I wash the bands and lids in hot/soapy water, and then try to time the cooking of whatever it is with the 10 minutes that the lids need to simmer. Also, I bring the canner to a boil WELL before I need it, then turn off the heat and periodically re-heat it to keep it hot, so I can bring it back to a boil quickly when I am ready for it. Not rocket science at all, just good to have a basic plan so it doesn't happen that you're all ready to go and darn it, your canner is stone cold or your lids aren't ready, etc. Very Happy

I haven't made pickled garlic yet (sounds yum, I have never tasted it!) but I did make garlic jelly (I call it jam) and that is amazing stuff.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down