Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Aphids in my lettuce - other options? Toplef10Aphids in my lettuce - other options? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Aphids in my lettuce - other options? I22gcj10Aphids in my lettuce - other options? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Aphids in my lettuce - other options? Toplef10Aphids in my lettuce - other options? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Aphids in my lettuce - other options? I22gcj10Aphids in my lettuce - other options? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:11 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:52 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Aphids in my lettuce - other options?

+2
Garden Angel
akameswaran
6 posters

Go down

Aphids in my lettuce - other options? Empty Aphids in my lettuce - other options?

Post  akameswaran 9/28/2010, 10:37 am

So I've been traveling for work a lot lately, which mostly means I'm only checking in on my garden on the weekends.

I've been having some on and off issues with aphids on my fall crop of lettuce. It's been OK up till now with washing them off, and using neem oil to minimize their return. But it's now gotten bad, bad enough that now there are ants 'herding' the aphids.

I'm tempted to use Safer Soap - which was ok against the green aphids I had on my tomatoes in spring. However, these are definitely a different variety - being a dark brown.

Anyway - here are options I was thinking of, but if someone has a better idea. BTW: I'm not obsessed with staying 'pure' organic, but I do my best to limit the addition of anything except compost and soil additives. But, I will (haven't had to yet) break down and use evil stuff if I'm faced with loosing the crop.

1) Physical removal - I will continue trying to wash them off/cut off the worst infected leavves. But it's gotten too bad for that alone
2) Neem oil - I plan to continue once a week application of Neem - but the rain and travel has made that harder to keep up with. Again - I'm beyond neem levels for true control.
3) Safer soap - I plan to do a single application once I get a good rain free day.

Anyone had any luck using DE (Diatem-I can't spell it- atios earth) for aphids? Or any other ideas to try and control them? I should again say, I usually can keep these outbreaks under enough control, but traveling has unfortunately let the little buggers get ahead of me, and my typical control measures will probably not be enough.

Another thing- I planted a romaine/baby green mix. I've noticed the bugs really like one variety a lot more than the others, and it's my least favorite. Should I consider roguing those plants?
akameswaran

Back to top Go down

Aphids in my lettuce - other options? Empty Re: Aphids in my lettuce - other options?

Post  Garden Angel 9/28/2010, 12:04 pm

You said everything I was going to say ! yes I do use the Safer soap but I have'nt on lettuce , even if it is organic I would throw away the outer leaves when you harvest, if it is that bad I would , and probably would use the diatomaceous earth (DE) cause it could be washed off , but that is really the draw back of DE is it needs to stay dry to be effective, although I have used it outside and just keep re-applying it and it seems to be ok. Maybe setting up a boundry of it around the box would help, or maybe putting the DE as plants are growing. I think the ants do bring the aphids, I think I remember reading somewhere the aphids suck out the moisture from the plant and the ants do the same to the aphids! Sorry not sure what you mean by "roguing those plants". Good luck and hope you get to harvest some anyway.
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 245

Back to top Go down

Aphids in my lettuce - other options? Empty Re: Aphids in my lettuce - other options?

Post  akameswaran 9/28/2010, 12:34 pm

The good news is I've already been harvesting the plants, it's just me and my wife, so we constantly pick a couple salads worth each day. With my travel the lettuce has kind of grown crazy and dense since I'm not around to eat it. Also, except for the badly infested leaves, the lettuce is still in pretty good shape, but that won't last. I'm just hoping I have some overlap between my lettuce, and my carrots which are just about edible size now.

By roguing I mean, pulling them out, perhaps pulling off the few good leaves and composting the rest. I did that this morning to the worst infested plant, it was getting very wilty and nothing was good to eat anymore.

What I wouldn't give for a dry day though - it's been raining/cloudy - niether the soap nor the DE are going to work until I get a decently dry day. I think I'll try the DE first, I do have a dry sprayer thing that works pretty well for dusting the undersides of leaves.

I kinda wonder if using a light dusting of DE, followed by a very light misting with the safer soap would hold the DE to the leaves - or if it would just moisten the DE, making it useless. I think I'll try that on one of the plants to see how it works out.

akameswaran

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel 9/28/2010, 5:40 pm

I agree with you, try it and see and let us know, ok? best of luck with that, don't remember when its rained here, we are so dusty dry here.
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  akameswaran 9/29/2010, 12:51 pm

Applied DE this morning - as it's finally not raining.

By lunch time, I went to pick some fresh lettuce for lunch and many of the aphids were dead, or at least not moving at all.

I picked off the leaves I wanted for lunch, snipped off one or two that were just too wilted to be any use for the plant or for eating.

I have a couple of plants that I was letting develop a head, but noticed they had mini swarms starting in the interior where the DE can't get. So I trimmed a little and then doused them in the DE as well.

After harvesting for lunch, I went ahead and soaped the red tinged lettuce as it has the worst infestations.

So DE worked in just a few hours to help control them. I'll report at the end of the week.
akameswaran

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel 9/29/2010, 1:00 pm

Wow, sounds like you are making progress already ! glad to hear the DE is working so well, if it was as bad as you say I'd say thats hopefull news for anyone experiencing the same problem , here's hoping it won't rain for a while. I put some on mine yesterday aslo, thanks for the info, gee its like your garden was a test garden for an aphid eradication experiment ! keep us posted !
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Back to top Go down

Aphids in my lettuce - other options? Empty new to this

Post  jerik 9/30/2010, 10:10 am

Hi - Can you tell me what DE is? Sorry for my ignorance. thanks, jeri
jerik

Back to top Go down

Post  akameswaran 9/30/2010, 10:34 am

DE = Diatemacious earth. It's a mineral that they mine and is completely innocuous to mammals or just about anything bigger than a bug. It basically works because the very small particles are sharp, if you're bug sized.

The bad news is I got rain last night. This morning many of the plants are aphid free, but the reddish romaine still has a bunch of the little guys hiding and playing in the head. I brushed them off as best as I can, but will have to wait for another dry day, and reapply the DE and probably the safer soap on the plants that had bugs today.
akameswaran

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel 9/30/2010, 11:56 am

You know I just had a thought , I remember reading on here somewhere about liquid coffee being a deterent , maybe that would work even if it was wet and would wash off when harvested. I guess it might make the soil a bit more acidic . Hmmm, just a thought.
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  akameswaran 9/30/2010, 12:50 pm

I'll have to give it a try... we always have a little coffee left over and occaisionally save it for iced coffee. But with it getting cooler - this might be a better way to recycle that last cup in the pot.
akameswaran

Back to top Go down

Post  erbarnett 9/30/2010, 3:21 pm

Nasturtiums are a magnet for aphids. Just plant them here and there in your SFG, and the aphids will go there first. They are easy to grow. You need to soak the large, thick skinned seeds overnight before planting them in a square. The flowers and leaves are attractive and are edible. They taste a little like radishes. Just wash off the aphids, and add them to your salad. They will bloom for many months, sometimes past the first frost.
erbarnett

Male Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/30/2010, 4:35 pm

Unfortunately, in my garden this year the aphids are loving the squash and beans but have completely ignored the nasturtiums in the same boxes. And I don't believe they have touched the roses nearby, which are also supposed to be loved by aphids. I am going to make teeny weeny user guides and give them to the aphids to re-educate them on where they are supposed to be. Maybe tiny signs with arrows?
Chopper

Female Posts : 2464
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/30/2010, 5:06 pm

Chopper wrote: I am going to make teeny weeny user guides and give them to the aphids to re-educate them on where they are supposed to be.

yahoo I hope it works so well that you become an over-night millionaire!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7370

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down