Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Member Toplef10New Member 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Member I22gcj10New Member 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Member Toplef10New Member 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Member I22gcj10New Member 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

+4
Megan
boffer
Old Hippie
Charles
8 posters

Go down

New Member Empty New Member

Post  Charles 9/20/2010, 6:27 pm

Hi
I am a new member, I live in the UK in a place called Meltham, Holmfirth. I have just come across square foot gardening by chance, googling 'raised beds' on my computor for further information on how to improve my first year succuss, and came across SFG, and thought what a serious good idea idea.
I have decided to raise my beds considerably, to 22" high, 16 foot long and 4 foot wide, this has come about due to my disability has it has now become virtually impossible for me to bend and attend to the planting and maintainace of the bed.
I am now looking forward to the next year gardening season, when I will have my new raised bed up and running, and have read the book study Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew.
Charles

Back to top Go down

New Member Empty Re: New Member

Post  Old Hippie 9/20/2010, 6:42 pm

Welcome Charles. New Member 396615 This is a great site and you will find a lot of very helpful people on here. So sorry you have difficulty with regular gardening. The older I get the harder it is to get down on my knees to do the gardening. The raised beds are definitely the way to go for so many reasons.

SFG method is fantastic. I do a rather modified version of it but am loving it and will as time goes on, eventually switch most of mine over to raised beds.

I am in British Columbia, Canada. My zone is a 3b. We just had frost last week that killed most things that I didn't have covered.

Best of luck with your new venture. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or to offer advice or share your previous gardening experiences with us.

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/20/2010, 7:18 pm

welcome

We're glad to have you aboard. What type of gardening have you been doing that you'd like to improve upon? I'm sure you'll find some good ideas in the SFG world. Although we all are doing 'SFG', there is room for our own individual preferences and circumstances.

If more height to your garden beds would be advantageous for your health, be sure to do a search for 'table tops' on the forum and look for some of my posts about table tops. I do the majority of my vegetable gardening at waist height. Chexmix has just finished setting up a very impressive table top garden that you can see here.

Happy Gardening
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/20/2010, 9:08 pm

Welcome Charles! glad you\'re here
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/20/2010, 11:39 pm

I think one of the real advantages of SFG is the ability to control the height of the bed and the ease of garden care. Not 1/10th as demanding as row gardening. And much neater. I look forward to your progress.

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

New Member Empty Welcome

Post  ander217 9/21/2010, 12:50 pm

Welcome, Charles, from across the pond.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 9/21/2010, 1:45 pm

Hi, Charles, and welcome to the Europe forum. SFG is a great way to garden...not only can you make tall beds, you can even put them on legs (tabletops) so you don't have to bed or kneel at all!

I'm a first-timer to a full-blown veg plot (well, since I was a girl)...and I've had overwhelming success this year, so I'm plotting out my fall plantings and looking forward to a new bed in the spring.

We keep the kettle on here, so pop in any time with any questions you might have!
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

New Member Empty New Member

Post  greenfingers 9/21/2010, 4:56 pm

Welcome Charles, you discovered SFG the same as way as I did whist looking for a better way after nearly 60 years of inline gardening.No turning back now.

Last edited by greenfingers on 9/21/2010, 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missing phrase)
greenfingers

Male Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

New Member Empty Many thanks for the welcome

Post  Charles 9/21/2010, 7:26 pm

Many thanks thanks for the welcome. I have done many years of organic gardening mainly vegetables and some fruit, having said that, flowers and herbs play an extremely important part in the eco-system of growing your own food.

In the dim past my garden consisted of four deep beds 14 foot long by 4 foot wide, a row of comfrey with a small patch of nettles, a small pond supporting frogs, a few newts. A greenhouse, and finally four chickens (for eggs only) really enjoyed keeping the chickens helped in keeping the weeds down (except dock and nettles) in the deep beds. Unfortunaly had to leave all this behind and move to a council bunglow and had to get permission to grow vegatables.

The last five years or so I have had to learn study to grow a lot of vegetables in pots (not easy) and raised beds (2), have now stacked the two bed on top of each other and in the process of building a 16 foot length by 4 foot wide and 22 inches high (cannot say I am building - good friends are doing this). The fruit is some strawberries and dwarf fruit trees grow in pots.

I am a member of the Soil Assocation and Garden Organic the working name of Henry Doubleday Research Association.

Thats my brief history in gardening.
I am going on my holidays for a fornight happy turtle will catch up when I get back cheers
Charles

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down