Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Member  Toplef10New Member  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Member  I22gcj10New Member  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New Member  Toplef10New Member  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New Member  I22gcj10New Member  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

4 posters

Go down

New Member  Empty New Member

Post  erbarnett 8/19/2010, 6:20 pm

Hello, my name is Bill and I am a new member of this forum. I already have some questions:

I will very soon install the SFG kit I ordered from the SFG Foundation, and have measured it at 5 and ½ inches tall. Mel recommends that the mix be 6 to 8 inches deep. Does this mean I need to dig into the native soil another ½ to 2 and ½ inches to get the correct depth?

I assume that the mix consists of 1/3 DRY peat moss, 1/3 DRY coarse vermiculite, and 1/3 DRY to moist blended compost. Is that correct?

After I have put the mix into the box and watered it down properly, will the mix continue to settle some more? I would rather wait until everything has settled completely before I begin planting the vegetables, even if it means waiting until spring.

Our traditional garden is bothered by a large cat, which loves to roll around in the plants and soil. Would installing bird netting around the entire box prevent this cat from using it as a litter box? I am thinking it would be afraid to get its paws entangled in the netting.

erbarnett

Male Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

New Member  Empty Re: New Member

Post  Old Hippie 8/19/2010, 6:58 pm

Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome. As far as your questions about the planter and the mix go, I am not much help since I made my own "MIX" and planters.

However, the cat problem is one I have in common with you. There have been times when I was so frustrated with neighbourhood cats that I felt like I would have to resort to a Reuger 22 with a silencer. Cats thought the flower bed at the front of my house where I plant my tomatoes was their own private litter box so when I replaced the dirt before planting my tomatoes I put down plastic over the soil. I used bricks to hold down the edges and cut holes where I transplanted the seedlings. It did seem to work and also helped to keep the soil warm and the moisture from evaporating. I have used spruce boughs among the flower beds and that works too. The idea of the netting sound like a good one to me.

What I think I will do is get a Siberian tiger and let HIM roam the yard at night. If he gets out and small pets or people go missing........what can you do? A cat is a nocturnal free roaming animal that likes to hunt. And let me tell you, if he uses the neighbour's yard as a litter box, they will sure notice in a hurry!!! New Member  Icon_twisted

Best of luck.

GK

( I know......I know. I am warped and sick. Check out my profile and you will see that about my sense of humour!)
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 8/19/2010, 7:01 pm

Hi Bill, and welcome to the forum and to SFG! glad you\'re here

I am new to SFG myself this year, but I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

You do not need to dig down into the native soil for that extra 1/2". (That being said, I DID dig in, as my rather unconventional homemade boxes are even shorter.) Some people have bottoms on their boxes, others do not. Reasons for using a box bottom vary -- vole problems/etc., poor natural soil, very invasive plants like Bermuda grass, or maybe it is a TT (table top) garden.

Yes, the peat moss and vermiculite should be dry when you are measuring them. The compost dry to moist-ish (that is, not sopping wet!) The day I mixed mine was kind of windy and I had some trouble with the vermiculite blowing around, so I did spray it lightly with water from the hose to keep it on the ground!

Yes, the mix will settle. I don't think it hurts to plant right away, someone with more experience may have some insight on that.

About the cat: Some people have made protective covers for their SFGs with chicken wire. Mel shows how build one on page 65 of his most recent book. Our cats are indoor-only, but there are a few feral cats in the neighborhood. I put catnip out in a few pots by the garden and while I saw a little digging early on that might have been cats or squirrels, mostly we'd just find the pots knocked over in the morning! Smile

Welcome again, and happy gardening!
flower
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3348

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 8/19/2010, 8:40 pm

[quote="] What I think I will do is get a Siberian tiger and let HIM roam the yard at night. If he gets out and small pets or people go missing........what can you do? A cat is a nocturnal free roaming animal that likes to hunt. And let me tell you, if he uses the neighbour's yard as a litter box, they will sure notice in a hurry!!!
( I know......I know. I am warped and sick. Check out my profile and you will see that about my sense of humour!)[/quote]
Oh not crazy at all !!! lololololol or warped or sick, this is how I would have felt with those cats and Im a cat lover.. from one of my favorite cartoons.

http://comics.com/Pearls_Before_Swine/2009-3-20/ dont like things pushing me over the edge Smile This says it all.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1119
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down